Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the "Premiership Window" closing?

I don't think the medium term picture changes that much despite the premiership door all but shut for us this year.

The main concerns are:

1. Will Reid and Melican make successful returns from recent injuries and have a better run with injury in the future?
    2. Will Hannebery get back to close to his best?
    3. Will Matthew Ling prove to be worthy of his 1st round pick, or will we forever regret not taking Ed Richards?
    4. Will AJ make a successful return to AFL football?
    5. Will Dawson, O'Riordan, Stoddart and Amartey become AFL regulars?
    6. Will we sign FA Luke Dahlhaus? Are we even considering him?

I think our list is quite solid with a good demographic. We are the same as every club regarding how things go on the injury front. We have a lot of young players who still need to prove their ability to play senior footy over the long haul.

We have drafted the kind of players who should enable us to transition to the kind of game which should be successful, but there are far too many unknowns to guarantee anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't think the medium term picture changes that much despite the premiership door all but shut for us this year.

The main concerns are:

1. Will Reid and Melican make successful returns from recent injuries and have a better run with injury in the future?
    2. Will Hannebery get back to close to his best?
    3. Will Matthew Ling prove to be worthy of his 1st round pick, or will we forever regret not taking Ed Richards?
    4. Will AJ make a successful return to AFL football?
    5. Will Dawson, O'Riordan, Stoddart and Amartey become AFL regulars?
    6. Will we sign FA Luke Dahlhaus? Are we even considering him?

I think our list is quite solid with a good demographic. We are the same as every club regarding how things go on the injury front. We have a lot of young players who still need to prove their ability to play senior footy over the long haul.

We have drafted the kind of players who should enable us to transition to the kind of game which should be successful, but there are far too many unknowns to guarantee anything.
    Why Dahlhaus in particular. What does he offer that we are missing. I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Why Dahlhaus in particular. What does he offer that we are missing. I'm interested
    Firstly, he's a Restricted Free Agent, which means that we don't have to trade for him. We just have to make an offer that WB won't match.

I've always like Dahlhaus. He plays a fearless (Swanslike) kind of football, has very good pace and evasiveness, tackles well and can kick goals. He also has the versatility to play forward, back or in the midfield. He's also very consistent and reliable. He's hardly missed a game in the past 6 years.

Need a couple of good players but more importantly a serious rethink of our strategy and approach to the game. I think we have enough talent but not the game plan to win

Regular in the Side
    No.

No. However I have seen hardly any football from us this year that suggested we were a threat for the flag. We have done well to build a decent record without coming close to looking formidable at any point. The only upside to that is neither has any other team really , other than the Tigers. Pretty keen to see guys like Cameron , COR and Dawson get a go over the next few weeks but not optimistic about this year , top 4 from here looks like a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    No. However I have seen hardly any football from us this year that suggested we were a threat for the flag. We have done well to build a decent record without coming close to looking formidable at any point. The only upside to that is neither has any other team really , other than the Tigers. Pretty keen to see guys like Cameron , COR and Dawson get a go over the next few weeks but not optimistic about this year , top 4 from here looks like a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair call. Hannebery and Jack playing near their best would make a big difference but the club didn't bank on them dropping off so badly. Add injuries to McVeigh, Reid, Mills etc and it is hard to see us being a contender in the finals. If we end up blooding more players, so be it. Good for the future. Part of me still hopes we can bounce back and contend because we have done so many times but logic probably says otherwise.

Senior Player
    No. We just need to train with a wet ball.
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    I think its often irrelevant how good your list looks. There are too many variables across the course of a season. An awful lot has to go right to win a premiership, and its not possible to predict how every other club will travel.

Since 1996 we have made the finals 19 times of a possible 22 and haven't finished lower than 12th. The three seasons where we missed there was either a bad run with injuries or we lost a number of close, winnable games. All up we've performed incredibly well over a sustained period of time.

Making the finals gives you a chance of winning the flag, and we almost always give ourselves that chance. I don't think our premiership window ever closes. At the very least it remains ajar. Might not be this year though.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12