Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R17 v Kangas

Ins: COR Papley Heeney Dawson Newman
    Outs: Jack Hanners Macca Towers Robbo
    We need to find a way out of defense this week. Newman has his trusty left boot and COR a bit of run and carry. Dawson to provide a marking target and help win some contested ball. Papley and Heeney both faster and more willing than Jack and Hanners who both look badly out of touch. I liked what Towers did pre poke in the eye but he looked terrible the other night and it might be best for him to get some confidence up in Neafl. He's not exactly in the category of an automatic selection straight out from injury. Robbo has had lots of chances and does a few good things but is he really better than Newman? I'm actually quite optimistic in that I think the injuries may just be a blessing in disguise and force Horse to pick a faster, congestion busting team by default.

Senior Player
    Horse whispering today's presser:

O'Riordan, Newman, Marsh name-checked by Longmire as in the mix; he referred to players who had been playing well in the reserves for 'a number of weeks', which I am not sure you could say about Dawson. He described O'Riordan (in response to a question about his attributes) as 'a good two-way player, incredibly enthusiastic and he runs hard', which so happened to describe the attributes he'd just finished saying the team needed to bring this weekend.

IN: Heeney, Papley, O'Riordan
    OUT: the three injured old farts
    Last edited by longmile; 9th July 2018 at 08:12 PM.

Changes for R17 v Kangas

I will be really disappointed if County Tipperary’s greatest export doesn’t finally get his chance at senior footy this week. He so deserves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I'm actually quite optimistic in that I think the injuries may just be a blessing in disguise and force Horse to pick a faster, congestion busting team by default.
    I agree with this.

Apart from McVeighs' smarts (together with lots of cheap possies and dinky kicks).

We haven't lost anything much with McVeigh, Jack and Hanners out. ...I can hear all the shouts of "what about experience",

but experience is worth diddly squat if they are labouring around the field being ineffectual.

Lloyd will slot into McVeighs role..he's been doing it anyway.

Heeney and Papley offer so much more, than Jack and Hanners, on present form.

O'Riordan will bring plenty of run and enthusiasm ....If picked.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I agree with this.

Apart from McVeighs' smarts (together with lots of cheap possies and dinky kicks).

We haven't lost anything much with McVeigh, Jack and Hanners out. ...I can hear all the shouts of "what about experience",

but experience is worth diddly squat if they are labouring around the field being ineffectual.

Lloyd will slot into McVeighs role..he's been doing it anyway.

Heeney and Papley offer so much more, than Jack and Hanners, on present form.

O'Riordan will bring plenty of run and enthusiasm ....If picked.
    I also agree with you and Ralph.

I thought there was a lot to worry about back on June 1st when we were down by a point to Carlton at halftime at the SCG, when they were being thrashed by the rest of the league. You could tell something was wrong, even though we were winning games.

I thought Fox was the best of our reserves team when he got the call up last week and he was also the best of the 3 inclusions.

I would drop Towers and Robinson to give our best NEAFL players a game, if not a run, in the seniors, which means O'Riordan, Cameron and Newman. I would also be tempted to give Dawson and AJ a shot, but maybe that can wait another week or so. Robbo gets plenty of ball in the NEAFL, but doesn't do things to show he is capable of breaking out from his current ceiling. I don't see where there's much to be gained by keeping him in the side.

Heeney looks a near certainty, but hard to say if Papley and Rohan will play at this point in time.

I'm keen to try the Cameron 'experiment' combined with a move of Buddy to bolster our midfield where things have been breaking down. I would also look to get Jones additional midfield time to provide some burst through the corridor that the good sides, like Richmond, are using with such success. Rohan or AJ could perhaps take his place in defence; something to look forward to, if not this game then perhaps the next.

Veteran Site Admin
    It will be interesting to see how the coaches approach the backline structure for the Roos game. They really do just have Brown as a tall forward, with all of their other options out injured. On the other hand, Richmond have been playing with just one tall forward for the best part of two years and the Swans coaches didn't adjust our backline structure in response to them, so it's probably unlikely they will for the Roos game.

Still, as Ludwig pointed out (maybe earlier in this thread), Reg really doesn't have an obvious match-up against the Roos. Unless we stick him forward...

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Reg really doesn't have an obvious match-up against the Roos. Unless we stick him forward...
    Reg might like a chance to match Ted’s three Brownlow votes .

Looks like Heeney, Papley and Rohan will be available for the Roos game. And potentially KJack. Horse mentioned Newman, Marsh, O'Riordan by name: "Colin’s a chance and he’s a chance regardless of injuries," Longmire said. "He’s been able to be consistent for quite a while, as has Newman and Marsh."

I would think Towers and Robbo's spots are in danger, although Robbo did an interview quoted on the website which makes me think he's more likely to play.

OUT: Macca (injured), Hanners (injured), Jack (sorry I hope he's injured), Towers (omitted), Robbo (ditto)
    IN: Heeney, Papley, Rohan, O'Riordan, Newman

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I also agree with you and Ralph.

I thought there was a lot to worry about back on June 1st when we were down by a point to Carlton at halftime at the SCG, when they were being thrashed by the rest of the league. You could tell something was wrong, even though we were winning games.

I thought Fox was the best of our reserves team when he got the call up last week and he was also the best of the 3 inclusions.

I would drop Towers and Robinson to give our best NEAFL players a game, if not a run, in the seniors, which means O'Riordan, Cameron and Newman. I would also be tempted to give Dawson and AJ a shot, but maybe that can wait another week or so. Robbo gets plenty of ball in the NEAFL, but doesn't do things to show he is capable of breaking out from his current ceiling. I don't see where there's much to be gained by keeping him in the side.

Heeney looks a near certainty, but hard to say if Papley and Rohan will play at this point in time.

I'm keen to try the Cameron 'experiment' combined with a move of Buddy to bolster our midfield where things have been breaking down. I would also look to get Jones additional midfield time to provide some burst through the corridor that the good sides, like Richmond, are using with such success. Rohan or AJ could perhaps take his place in defence; something to look forward to, if not this game then perhaps the next.
    Jones gave us a real lift last week when moved to the wing. His best position. Gives us real bite and pace entering the 50. Looks like he has been told to take the game on and just needs to learn not to try to do too much. Best he learns this closer to goal than in backline where this often proves costly with him. Could be a huge weapon for us if he calms down and matures going forward.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    OUT: McVeigh (injured), Hanners (injured), Jack (injured), Robinson (omitted)
    IN: Heeney, Papley, Johnson, Cameron

I'd like to see the AJ story happen.
    Probably won't thins week, maybe next game at the SCG
    Is AJ banging down the door? Don't hear about his game as much as some others

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    On the other hand, Richmond have been playing with just one tall forward for the best part of two years and the Swans coaches didn't adjust our backline structure in response to them, so it's probably unlikely they will for the Roos game.

Still, as Ludwig pointed out (maybe earlier in this thread), Reg really doesn't have an obvious match-up against the Roos. Unless we stick him forward...
    They adjusted for speed, not height, swapping McVeigh and Cunningham with Jarrad taking Harry's place on the wing.

Majak Daw was thrown forward in the second half against the Suns week, they might do that move again just to give Brown some much needed support.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast