Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Changes for R17 v Kangas

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The reason Hanners plays off the right wing at centre bounces is he doesn't have a right foot. So when he gathers he runs towards the centre corridor to deliver. If he was on the left side the ball would have to go behind him for him to gather and turn on his left going boundary side. If you look at Ablett, Selwood and Dangerfield they kick well off both sides, so it matters not where they start at centre bounces.

Hawthorn a few years back had a wealth of left footers who almost always went to the left flank when coming out of the back line with long kicks. Also they usually switched from the right to left flank. It seemed to be hard for opposition sides to deal with. Mitchell was also good out of the guts because he kicked well both sides, hence he didn't turn back into the play when he got possession.
    This is why Hewee is so good because he kicks so well on his non preferred left. Heeney also can kick on both sides. It seems that McCartin can as well. Hannas has always been super left sided. Kizza is one sided as well. Macca can kick both as can Lloydy. Buddy can kick both side but is still very reliant on his left.

With NM bringing in Alex Morgan, a running defender, it seems increasingly likely that Majak will go forward. It could even be a defensive move by Scott to use Majak to lock down Aliir.

I'd like to use Robinson as our tagging midfielder and release Hewett to play his previous midfield-forward role. Robinson was very good when given lock down tagging roles in the NEAFL a couple of years back.

Senior Player
    I reckon Robinson will play mostly as a forward: chasing hard, trying to win HTB frees, running hard into space to mark in the F50 when rebounding off turnovers, jagging snapped shots at goal from F50 clearances. Towers was poor in that role last Thursday.

The selection of Newman makes sense in retrospect, it was necessary given we lost two in Hanners and Jack. We need another option releasing the ball under pressure on the left wing.

Veteran Site Admin
    There are two North players worth paying particular attention to. One is Brown, the other Higgins. Stop Higgins and you go a long way towards stopping North. I’m not sure I’d want to risk Robinson on Higgins, so Hewett might be the best choice. However, Hewett might be better suited to limiting ball at the source in Cunnington. He did a good job on Mitchell, who is a similar kind of player, but Longmire might just prefer Mennedy going directly against him. Even if Cunnington’s influence is quelled, Higgins still needs to be kept under control. He just sets up so much of North’s attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There are two North players worth paying particular attention to. One is Brown, the other Higgins. Stop Higgins and you go a long way towards stopping North. I’m not sure I’d want to risk Robinson on Higgins, so Hewett might be the best choice. However, Hewett might be better suited to limiting ball at the source in Cunnington. He did a good job on Mitchell, who is a similar kind of player, but Longmire might just prefer Mennedy going directly against him. Even if Cunnington’s influence is quelled, Higgins still needs to be kept under control. He just sets up so much of North’s attacks.
    These tagging options could get complicated as NM have Jacobs, who is a chance to tag Kennedy, or maybe Parker.

Cunnington and Higgins are very dangerous and both are having great years, which is probably the main reason North are doing so well.

Maybe Jacobs and Hewett should just tag each other and let the rest of the players get on with it.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    North have been happy to put Cunnington against Kennedy in the past and Jacobs had usually targeted Hanners.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Usually the dog goes to training and Gary stays home.
    Ahh....just like on match day.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He killed us last game didn't he, Higgins? And ran around largely untagged.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    He killed us last game didn't he, Higgins? And ran around largely untagged.
    Yep. Him and Mason Wood.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    North have been happy to put Cunnington against Kennedy in the past and Jacobs had usually targeted Hanners.
    If they do the same on Sunday, I think we've got a chance to win.

Also, the Aliir matchups could be interesting. There could be an all Sudanese matchup. Or if Aliir gets matched with Ben Brown we will have 2014 Draft Pick 44 (Aliir) vs Pick 47. So who's the winner there? We could have gotten Ben Brown.

If they do the same on Sunday, I think we've got a chance to win.

Also, the Aliir matchups could be interesting. There could be an all Sudanese matchup. Or if Aliir gets matched with Ben Brown we will have 2014 Draft Pick 44 (Aliir) vs Pick 47. So who's the winner there? We could have gotten Ben Brown.
    Yes I reckon if we can get Jacobs to tag Hanners that would be a huge win for us

I hope Gary is going to play the NEAFL game and is not one of the travelling emergencies. It will be very interesting to see where he plays in the reserves if he does play. I wonder if we will try him out again as a running half back, which I think would be a wise choice.
    You've been pushing for Rohan to play off half back quite a lot recently. He has been tried a few times in this role in the past and like when he plays in the forward half, he just doesn't get the pill enough. The best rebounders off half back will be averaging 25+ possessions. Gaz can't get anywhere near this. He is a role player. Contribute the odd goal or two, apply forward pressure, attack the contest, play loose man in defence when required. It may not be type of footy most eant to play. But they can't all be superstars. Some just need to do their part.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast