Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 17 Sydney v North, ES, 15 July 2018 @SydneySwans #NorthSwans

Aliir would be nuts to leave the club that has put so much effort into him and is so supportive of him. That makes sense until player agents get involved mind you.

I still think that, long term, Aliir will be a better player with Reg and/or Melican there to cover the key forward. The spread, or lack of it, of North goal kickers suggests that Brad Scott and his team knew where our weakness would be without Reg. Grundy to Brown, Rampe to Zeibell, Aliir still takes Daw but with more cover from the other defenders.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Does anyone know why we "rested" Reg at the last minute in a crunch game. Seems a bit odd.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Does anyone know why we "rested" Reg at the last minute in a crunch game. Seems a bit odd.
    He had no logical match up, all the North forwards would have toweled him up. His lack of pace is now becoming a liability.
    sprite

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    I’ve always enjoyed BT, he adds to the theatre of it all.
    Brayshaw wasn’t biased , pretty fair really.
    I thought the game was well called by Channel 7. Taylor can touch on self-parody at times, but he reads the game and most players pretty well. I thought Hodge's observations were largely astute and helpful.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Heeney was huge..He stood up and took control of the midfield...Hats off to him.
    Absolutely, Ernie. Cracking last quarter out of the centre by Heeney. Very promising. Parker lifted then, too. Florent also did a good job playing more centrally - 6 clearances.

Senior Player
    I agree with Ralph Dawg, I thought Rampe's outstanding distribution from defence was excellent and a key reason we scored so freely. He kicked long very accurately. He was also used more frequently than usual. I'm not sure whether that was a structural change with McVeigh out or whether that's generally our preference and North just allowed us to do it. It was obvious that we didn't kick long to a contest as often as we usually do.

On the NEAFL regulars in the side at the moment, I thought Fox was best again. Poise and a bit of class when he gets it. Robinson also took possession nicely at times. Newman was serviceable without being great. Marsh tried hard, but loses too many one-on-ones with ball on the ground and in the air.

#AFL Rd 17 Sydney v North, ES, 15 July 2018 @SydneySwans #NorthSwans

For those who were at the game, what percentage of the crowd would you say were Swans supporters?

The TV cameras were on the same wing as most Swans fans, so the coverage mainly showed the sparsely populated NM members wing. The other side was more densely packed (and with a majority of Swans fans where I was sitting), but it is difficult to gauge the figure from just one spot, so I am just curious about the assessment of others.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    He had no logical match up, all the North forwards would have toweled him up. His lack of pace is now becoming a liability.
    I think that is very harsh on Reg. When is the last time he has been “toweled up” or a “liability”?

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I think that is very harsh on Reg. When is the last time he has been “toweled up” or a “liability”?
    Umm Geelong, only Hawkins couldn't kick straight that night..
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Umm Geelong, only Hawkins couldn't kick straight that night..
    I agree that Hawkins out pointed him that night but it is extreme to say that he was a liability or toweled up. About 80% of the game was played in Geelong’s half and Hawkins took 6 marks total for the game which is under his average of 7 for the season. Sometimes speed is overrated here compared to other key attributes.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I agree that Hawkins out pointed him that night but it is extreme to say that he was a liability or toweled up. About 80% of the game was played in Geelong’s half and Hawkins took 6 marks total for the game which is under his average of 7 for the season. Sometimes speed is overrated here compared to other key attributes.
    Speed on the lead is most important.

The way Brown and Majak led both Rampe and Allir (who are both quick) shows how important speed is and the delivery to them was outstanding.

One of Reg's main faults is he loses contact with his opponent too often.

His strength is when the ball comes in slowly and he reads the play and can take those marks he is famous for.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I thought the game was well called by Channel 7. Taylor can touch on self-parody at times, but he reads the game and most players pretty well. I thought Hodge's observations were largely astute and helpful.
    I thought that Hodge was terrific and I'd be quite happy to listen to him any time.

There was a passage of play late in the fourth quarter as Aliir moved up the ground and kicked to the (empty) forward pocket. One of the commentators dismissed the kick as a bad one, but Hodge piped up with the observation that it was a very clever kick, as North had two spares closer to the goalsquare. As North collected the ball, Robinson (who I thought was pretty handy on the day) managed to spoil the kick out of bounds, and from the next play I think Ronke kicked his terrific roving goal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Absolutely, Ernie. Cracking last quarter out of the centre by Heeney. Very promising. Parker lifted then, too. Florent also did a good job playing more centrally - 6 clearances.

Parker was dynamite in that last ten minutes. Extraordinary seeing his work in the absence of Kennedy.