Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 17 Sydney v North, ES, 15 July 2018 @SydneySwans #NorthSwans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Really exciting game v North yesterday and very interesting too. I think by necessity, Horse instituted a game plan more in keeping with successful footy in 2018. By losing 4 slower seniors (Hanners, Jack, Macca and Reg), the team became much faster, allowing the game plan to center around quick transition out of defense and into attack before North could flood back. Conversely, this allowed North to do likewise, leading to one of the best spectacles of the year. There is no way we could've played this style as successfully with our injured seniors who just dont have the leg speed to do this. Which really begs the question - what style do we want to play? A flooding, defensive style, aiming for a slower, safer transition leading to more 50/50 contests or a style that takes the game on in a riskier fashion that trusts our forwards to win more one on one contests? I really hope we stick with yesterdays style as our days as a team that strangles opposition at the contest are over (North smashed us at the contest, as did Cats and Tigers) and I feel the only way we can even challenge for a flag is to take the game on. If Horse agrees, then I would suggest Hanners and Macca will need to present compelling cases in the Neafl for recalls and even Macca might struggle to find a way back (is there room for both him and Lloyd in the side considering how similar their roles are, yet Lloyd is younger and faster?). On another related note, loved Buddy's game up the ground and Ramps playing more of a role as a distributor with his lethal left!
    Excellent post, agree with all your observations....

Having said that, if you were to replace.... Robinson, Marsh and Fox....With a fit.... Hannebery, McVeigh and Jack...We are, IMO, a better team...

If they come back into the side half baked.... That's a different story.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Where are all the critics now? I'm waiting to take another bashing about Aliir. Bring it on!

Are there any doubters now that clubs would be falling over themselves to sign Aliir for $500kpa + for 5 years?
    You wanted to pick him before he was ready and in place of established players who were playing well. The club waited to recall him until they felt he was ready. We are all delighted for his success and what he brings to the team so there's no need for anyone to bash anyone.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Opti-pessi-misti
    I loved Ludwig's suggested title for our new match day thread, The Vilification of Umpires thread. Seriously guys, the suggestion wasn't meant to be taken seriously! I don't mind a bit of umpire angst on the part of yourself who enjoy it as part of your match day experience, it was just that on Sunday it seemed a bit never ending. Hence my protest.

Great post by Ralph Dawg. My reflection on the game is that we played a style of play that suited the players we had available, and how much our speedy young players bring to the team. Where to from here? One game does not define us and we always play well at Docklands, so in some ways it's too easy to look at it and say that we are seeing the future. Young or new players always find it tougher to back up again and again rather than just sparkle on debut, so it's repeat performances that we are looking for. One reason Ronke is so impressive is that he has fitted in from the beginning and looks like he belongs. In many ways his 5 goals was more impressive than his 7 because he's not an unknown quantity anymore and he kicked his 5 with Franklin in the team.

If everyone is available, who comes back in and who gets left out? Joey is obviously an in game injury and an automatic so let's leave him out, and Grundy is also an automatic, with 3 of their players kicking 4+ there is no doubt that he'd have made a difference, but what about everyone else?

As a side note, I noted that Rampe's kick into the contest that led to Aliir's winning goal was off his right foot. Will Hayward take note.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    You wanted to pick him before he was ready and in place of established players who were playing well. The club waited to recall him until they felt he was ready. We are all delighted for his success and what he brings to the team so there's no need for anyone to bash anyone.
    Sorry, but I went overboard on the gloating. I have to say that I enjoyed the game so much it felt like winning a Grand Final and lost control of the keyboad. I promise to return to my usual understated decorum.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I noted that Rampe's kick into the contest that led to Aliir's winning goal was off his right foot. Will Hayward take note.
    He can kick on his left, but he also has that banana kick, which is not bad either. He just missed it that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Where are all the critics now? I'm waiting to take another bashing about Aliir. Bring it on!

Are there any doubters now that clubs would be falling over themselves to sign Aliir for $500kpa + for 5 years?
    Yes I doubt it based on this article

Category: | Herald Sun

SYDNEY could have to stump up as much as $400,000 a season to keep Aliir Aliir as their chase for Darcy Moore stalls...

Aliir is out of contract at the end of the season, and had been waiting until he was playing regular football to ramp up talks.

But clubs have been made aware that he could be acquired if they are prepared to pay as much as $400,000 a season...

Sydney still believes it is in a good position to sign him up, as it works through contracts for Sam Naismith, Jake Lloyd, Heath Grundy and Jarrod McVeigh.

Harley told the Herald Sun last week the club was optimistic about its prospect of re-signing star defender Lloyd...

There are many people here saying that this and that player should be playing.
    Dawson, Cameron, O'Riordan, etc
    I generally rest in the hope that the club was a big picture in play.

I wanted Mitchell back in the side when he was blitzing in the NEAFL, and never really understood why he was kept out. Maybe his abilities these days are a result of the Swan's actions.
    The only other one think I've questioned is Allir. Never understood why he was omitted for so long. Horse says 'various injuries' but I think there was more to it.
    Either compliance issues, or maybe some issues the the coaching staff had with his game overall.
    He was playing really well when he was first left out injured and took forever to come back.
    Either way I'm happy, we need players to bring this kind of excitement to inspire the crowd and the other players.
    Jetta did it at times, and Rohan does it at times, hopefully Allir can do it more consistently.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

My first post so I'm not allowed post the link to the Tipperary Football Website but here is a piece on Colin O'Riordan from that website.

edit: Colin O'Riordan Makes His Swans Debut
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 19th July 2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: remove article and add link

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Yes I doubt it based on this article

Category: | Herald Sun

SYDNEY could have to stump up as much as $400,000 a season to keep Aliir Aliir as their chase for Darcy Moore stalls...

Aliir is out of contract at the end of the season, and had been waiting until he was playing regular football to ramp up talks.

But clubs have been made aware that he could be acquired if they are prepared to pay as much as $400,000 a season...

Sydney still believes it is in a good position to sign him up, as it works through contracts for Sam Naismith, Jake Lloyd, Heath Grundy and Jarrod McVeigh.

Harley told the Herald Sun last week the club was optimistic about its prospect of re-signing star defender Lloyd...
    Thanks for posting this, because I can't get through the pay wall.

The $400k pa figure seems about right for the Swans to retain Aliir without much hassle. I think other clubs will have to at least $500k to get him from us. That's a typical premium to leave one's current club, especially if they're happy where they are. Aliir is not a free agent, so a trade would have to be made, unless he wants to go to Carlton. I can't see that happening. The Swans don't lose players they want to keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    My first post so I'm not allowed post the link to the Tipperary Football Website but here is a piece on Colin O'Riordan from that website.

Thanks for posting that
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 19th July 2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: original post updated

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post

What a cracking back story. Thank you for the entertaining memoirs .
    Aliir Aliir house shared with him early on and reports he didn’t understand a word he uttered for some months which was probably reciprocated by Colin as well.
    What a memorable experience for Colin’s parents.
    Are they coming to Sydney for the Suns game?
    Last edited by RogueSwan; 19th July 2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: original post updated

They are over in Sydney until next week so they will be at the game at the weekend as well. Hopefully they get to see Colin play again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro