Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 17 Sydney v North, ES, 15 July 2018 @SydneySwans #NorthSwans

Regular in the Side
    Just watched final qtr again and with just over 2 mins to go they were on roll. Amazing win. What an effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patterns emerge, but do they mean anything? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I think we seem to be forgetting that Daw kicked 4 goals on Aliir. Whilst Aliir did some good things, I still like my defenders to be defenders first. To me, still a long way off taking on a key defensive role.
    Was Allir on Daw the whole time ? Rampe got done with the great delivery from their mids into the forwards too. I was just making a point that I like that Allir is watching the ball and is ready for the next play.

Opti-pessi-misti
    In reply to Stevoswan I don't think the umpiring was any worse than most games. Yes, it is irritating but to spend half the game ranting on and on about it on this thread is similarly irritating. The players just get on with the game, inconsistent umpiring is part of it. I really enjoyed watching the game, loved the efforts of all our players, especially Aliir, Heeney and Ronke. The last quarter was amazing, so heartening when thinking of the future.

Irish is a keeper. AA still needs to improve one on one. A real Swans win! I love this club.
    Cal Sinclair topped our fantasy points tonight and we really wouldn't be where we are without his massive efforts this year.
    Last edited by aardvark; 15th July 2018 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I think we seem to be forgetting that Daw kicked 4 goals on Aliir. Whilst Aliir did some good things, I still like my defenders to be defenders first. To me, still a long way off taking on a key defensive role.
    Brown kicked 4 goals on Rampe and Ziebell kicked 5 on Nick Smith. We better teach those guys how to defend before we give them another game.

Daw on the lead into space one on one is unstoppable. He's just about the quickest player in the league. He used to miss those shots on goal, but he nailed them today. Brown is leading the Coleman for a reason. Ziebell is a good player who had a particularly good day. There were a lot of goals kicked on these 3 today, but it would be hard to fault any of them how they defended. The ball just came to them perfectly at times.

I thought it was one of Aliir's best games 1 on 1 as he defended all the contests well, but lost those that were impossible to stop, and he was as close to spoiling those as any good defender could be.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Apologies, I am responding as I read through the thread post match - but I am very glad you made this point.

I was screaming out lead up, lead up at the time. They actually did the opposite and ran away deeper inside 50 (as if kicking an 80-metre pass is something they expected he could do) - bewildering.

I am happy anytime Jones takes the game on - someone has to - he just needs more support when he does (on and off the field).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree. He gives the same sort of flair we got from Tadghdghgh in his prime and Rhys Shaw. Yes he makes mistakes but he'll learn and we need him even now. He's also one of the few players we have with a bit of mongrel. Maybe COR will become a line breaker in time too, but Jones is the only one we have at the moment.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

It was great to see the team without the usual non-impact players Rohan, Hannerbury, Jack.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    In reply to Stevoswan I don't think the umpiring was any worse than most games. Yes, it is irritating but to spend half the game ranting on and on about it on this thread is similarly irritating. The players just get on with the game, inconsistent umpiring is part of it. I really enjoyed watching the game, loved the efforts of all our players, especially Aliir, Heeney and Ronke. The last quarter was amazing, so heartening when thinking of the future.
    That's the point, although not in the way you think. The umpiring wasn't inconsistent. it was very consistently in favour of North. On several occasions virtually identical incidents occurred within the same minute but were adjudicated in entirely contradictory ways, the consistency being that it was always in North's favour. WTF is the use of a board like this if we can't have a rant about it?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    That's the point, although not in the way you think. The umpiring wasn't inconsistent. it was very consistently in favour of North. On several occasions virtually identical incidents occurred within the same minute but were adjudicated in entirely contradictory ways, the consistency being that it was always in North's favour. WTF is the use of a board like this if we can't have a rant about it?
    We aren’t suggesting you can’t have a rant sbout umpires, just that there is a thread for the ranting.

Aliir Aliirs best game and growing in confidence.
    How many senior games has he notched ?
    21 or 22.
    Dunno what more he has to do please some people .... .
    He’s has the skills and the coolness under pressure.

Veterans List
    I normally hate North games but that one was a ripper with a great ending. Skill errors all over the place but lots of heart.

And it was great to sit with ScottH for the first time in quite a while. A good afternoon all round.

As brilliant as our young team was there were times we looked so small and immature and were tossed aside like rag dolls. We'll need a handful of the old fellas back and in form pretty soon.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the match day thread is the place for ranting! Just skip the live banter and tune in later when things cool off.

At one point early on the free kick count was 8 to 1. Highly rantable as the game unfolds