Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 17 Sydney v North, ES, 15 July 2018 @SydneySwans #NorthSwans

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    It has to be said Brayshaw's commentary was very impartial as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Really enjoyed Dan Robinson's last couple of weeks, certainly among the best he's played. Ronke and Allir could both really turn into something special.

We're still in it - but if we're honest, not convinced this is the team to get us deep into September.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it has to be acknowledged that Higgins is the best midfielder in the competition at the moment. Hewett had almost no impact on him, and that makes twice this year he's carved us up.
    I thought James Bradshaw’s commentary was very professional. Magnificent under the particular circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    We aren’t suggesting you can’t have a rant sbout umpires, just that there is a thread for the ranting.
    If the venting about umpires is removed from the match day thread, then that will mean that many match day threads, will consist largely of venting about our players and coaches. Something I find a lot more tiresome, than venting about umpires.
    I also think that it would be a pointless exercise, to attempt to introduce a rule that will be relentlessly broken.

Senior Player
    Nothing better than a close game that goes your way right at the end is there!

Really enjoyed that one, especially the way the young blokes stood up. Liking Ronke more every week, Allir never gives up and I haven't seen much of O'Riordan before, but what a good first game. Great effort all round especially with Kennedy out.

I sometimes feel the Swans go better under the pump than when they are firm favourites - or at least, you can normally rely on them to have grit and resilience when things go against them.

Taking the kids to the GC game next week and they'll be hoping for another 10-goal game from Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I also think that it would be a pointless exercise, to attempt to introduce a rule that will be relentlessly broken.
    Exactly.

Better to not have posts complaining about umpiring rants and then resulting posts whining about posts complaining about umpiring rants.

If a post is directly relevant to the game — & poor umpiring regularly impacts the outcome — then it doesn’t worry me.

Warming the Bench
    Big ups to all the players
    Was an impressive effort especially with Kennedy going down
    parker was quiet but thought he was enormous in the last qtr
    actually won some clearances
    Alir Alir was superb
    Not even SOS would've stop Daw and Brown with the hit ups they received
    Irish was great
    Paps, Heeney, Hayward and Ronke buzzing around makes a huge difference
    Such an enjoyable trip home

Veterans List
    Haven't seen the replay yet but what was that decision change by the umps when Goldstein got a free then reversed their decision to give it to Buddy. They looked very foolish.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Haven't seen the replay yet but what was that decision change by the umps when Goldstein got a free then reversed their decision to give it to Buddy. They looked very foolish.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was Daw rather than Goldstein. It was always paid as a free to the Swans (though to Parker, not Buddy) but the umpire got confused and allowed North to take the free kick, and then got even more confused allowing Buddy to take the kick for the Swans.

I thought it was a soft free to begin with. Sure, Parker was somewhat pushed in the marking contest by more by pressure from behind by the North player contesting the mark. It's the kind of incident I wish wasn't a free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Again...
    ALIIR
    Love that kid.
    Where are all the critics now? I'm waiting to take another bashing about Aliir. Bring it on!

Are there any doubters now that clubs would be falling over themselves to sign Aliir for $500kpa + for 5 years?

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Nico it was a free to Parker in the marking contest.

Worse again they let Buddy take the resulting free kick

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Again...
    ALIIR
    Love that kid.
    OMG. Heart attack footy or what?
    From 30cm in front of it, I screamed at the TV, ten seconds!! Joey heard me and told the others.
    Happy to have the four points.
    Even happier Collingwood lost. My phone will be quieter this week.
    On form this love may bear more fruit than your woman crush on Tippo.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Senior Player
    Ben Brown in every marking contest

C'mon Chels!

Really exciting game v North yesterday and very interesting too. I think by necessity, Horse instituted a game plan more in keeping with successful footy in 2018. By losing 4 slower seniors (Hanners, Jack, Macca and Reg), the team became much faster, allowing the game plan to center around quick transition out of defense and into attack before North could flood back. Conversely, this allowed North to do likewise, leading to one of the best spectacles of the year. There is no way we could've played this style as successfully with our injured seniors who just dont have the leg speed to do this. Which really begs the question - what style do we want to play? A flooding, defensive style, aiming for a slower, safer transition leading to more 50/50 contests or a style that takes the game on in a riskier fashion that trusts our forwards to win more one on one contests? I really hope we stick with yesterdays style as our days as a team that strangles opposition at the contest are over (North smashed us at the contest, as did Cats and Tigers) and I feel the only way we can even challenge for a flag is to take the game on. If Horse agrees, then I would suggest Hanners and Macca will need to present compelling cases in the Neafl for recalls and even Macca might struggle to find a way back (is there room for both him and Lloyd in the side considering how similar their roles are, yet Lloyd is younger and faster?). On another related note, loved Buddy's game up the ground and Ramps playing more of a role as a distributor with his lethal left!