Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R18 v Suns

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I'd prefer not to see Rohan back in the seniors until he's had a couple of 30 possession games in the two's. I don't mind the idea of giving Cameron a game and Sinkers a rest. This is a danger game, it's the sort of game we drop through complacency.
    So that's never then for Gaz! has he ever had 30 possessions?

I'd be surprised if Longmire gave Sinkers a game off, but I could see him bringing in Cameron to share the load

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    With a very similar side you'd hope they'd play a similar style, although not sure Horse likes conceding 90+ points.
    Agree. Whilst Sunday's game style maybe more enjoyable to watch, you don't win premierships conceding 90+ points.

Veterans List
    We have been carrying Hanners, Rohan and to a lesser extent Jack. Why bring any of these back when their replacements had equal or more possessions and way more effective. Doesn't make any sense to me. These blokes have to earn their return in the 2's. If they don't they are yesterday's men.

On McCartin; we have a habit of leaving promising young players in the team. He doesn't seem to be tiring. I reckon they are getting as many games as possible into this 18.5 year old promising footballer.

P.S why do people use the term Footy Player instead of Footballer. Footballer is not gender specific and is the correct English word.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We have been carrying Hanners, Rohan and to a lesser extent Jack. Why bring any of these back when their replacements had equal or more possessions and way more effective. Doesn't make any sense to me. These blokes have to earn their return in the 2's. If they don't they are yesterday's men.

On McCartin; we have a habit of leaving promising young players in the team. He doesn't seem to be tiring. I reckon they are getting as many games as possible into this 18.5 year old promising footballer.

P.S why do people use the term Footy Player instead of Footballer. Footballer is not gender specific and is the correct English word.
    I was listening to the North game on the radio and Mick Malthouse made the point that, in his opinion, it was pretty much our best 22 who played. That there weren't any better players waiting in the wings (you could argue about Mills, Macca, Reid, Naismith, Melican but none of them are likely to play again this year). He singled out Rohan as a player he thought was better out of the team than in because he didn't get enough of the ball.

Completely agree with you and Malthouse; we shouldn't bring Hanners, Rohan etc back, but it's slightly scary to think that the team that played North is our best 22 for the 2018 finals series!

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

I never knew that.

I thought only male footy players were called Footballers, but female footy players were called Pussyfooters.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Completely agree with you and Malthouse; we shouldn't bring Hanners, Rohan etc back, but it's slightly scary to think that the team that played North is our best 22 for the 2018 finals series!
    It's not, Dawson still needs to come in :-)

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    The Thunder v Swans NEAFL game was on NITV last night and Cameron, Dawson, Towers and Amarty (sp?) were the standouts for mine. I don't know who comes out for any of those guys though.
    Left field suggestion: does Lloyd get a week off to rest? He is vital to our run into the finals.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Regular in the Side
    As far as I am concerned it is a nobrainer that Cameron has to come in. He has been bashing the door down for some weeks in the NEAFL now. Sinclair is starting to look a little fatigued even though he topped the fantasy points for us against North. The Suns have two big ruckmen in Witts and Crossley so there will be no rest for the Swans rucks and I would not want to see either Parker or Kennedy going up against Crossley. Aliir has shown what he can do running out of defence. Let him consolidate on that. It seems a perfect opportunity against the out of form Suns for Cameron to debut. Given all that I will still not be surprised if Cameron is left on the shelf by the selectors who obviously know more about the players than I do.

Veterans List
    Kennedy highly unlikely according to latest reports, Jack didn't train, Grundy ready.

So whilst not like for like it would be Grundy in for Kennedy, shuffle midfield deckchairs, I'd think Jones into midfield to give us some explosiveness out of centre bounces.

• Grundy comes back in. No question. He has been underrated by the league for so long and now it seems he is copping the same from some supporters. Marsh goes out.
    • It looks like Kennedy will miss. I think this is the prudent play. Dawson is the man! I must admit that I didn't get to watch the NEAFL game against NT where some were saying it wasn't his best but I reckon 29 disposals, 10 tackles, and 7 clearances seems pretty handy.
    • I'd also like to see Cameron rewarded but I don't think we want to change around our structures so much to accomodate him. I don't think they want to go too tall with Buddy, McCartin, and Cameron/Sinclair in the same forward line. It could work but McCartin and Buddy would play up the ground. However, if he was playing I think there would've already been a debut announcement.
    • I've always been a fan of Rohan but he needs to play NEAFL this week. I can't see him being suddenly converted into a defender in his 9th season of AFL footy. His best position is in the forwards but at the moment Ronke, Hayward, and Paps are doing his role better.

In summary:

Ins: Grundy, Dawson, (maybe Cameron)
    Outs: Marsh, Kennedy, (maybe Fox)

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    • Grundy comes back in. No question. He has been underrated by the league for so long and now it seems he is copping the same from some supporters. Marsh goes out.
    • It looks like Kennedy will miss. I think this is the prudent play. Dawson is the man! I must admit that I didn't get to watch the NEAFL game against NT where some were saying it wasn't his best but I reckon 29 disposals, 10 tackles, and 7 clearances seems pretty handy.
    • I'd also like to see Cameron rewarded but I don't think we want to change around our structures so much to accomodate him. I don't think they want to go too tall with Buddy, McCartin, and Cameron/Sinclair in the same forward line. It could work but McCartin and Buddy would play up the ground. However, if he was playing I think there would've already been a debut announcement.
    • I've always been a fan of Rohan but he needs to play NEAFL this week. I can't see him being suddenly converted into a defender in his 9th season of AFL footy. His best position is in the forwards but at the moment Ronke, Hayward, and Paps are doing his role better.

In summary:

Ins: Grundy, Dawson, (maybe Cameron)
    Outs: Marsh, Kennedy, (maybe Fox)
    Like the look of those changes, but I'd keep Fox in over Robbo.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    • I'd also like to see Cameron rewarded but I don't think we want to change around our structures so much to accommodate him. I don't think they want to go too tall with Buddy, McCartin, and Cameron/Sinclair in the same forward line. It could work but McCartin and Buddy would play up the ground. However, if he was playing I think there would've already been a debut announcement.
    Just 2 small points on this:
    1. If we look at the usual setup of Franklin, Reid and Rohan, then changing to Franklin, Cameron and McCartin actually keeps our standard structure with Cameron playing the 2nd tall and McCartin playing Rohan's role, but just getting more of the ball than Rohan usually does.
    2. It seems as though McCartin is not going out of the side even when Reid comes back, so Rohan is all but shut out from his usual forward role, which most of us think he's been under-performing anyway. He's contracted through 2020, so if we don't find another role for him, then he just remains a reserves player for the rest of his time with us, effectively ending his career. He has always been an extremely talented player and think we owe it to ourselves to do whatever we can to find a role where he can perform to the best of his abilities. By process of elimination, defence seems the most likely area on the ground for him. He has played there before with some success.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast