Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for R18 v Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I forgot that GC have Brayden Crossley in their side, so it is a bit surprising that we didn't play Reg with 2 ruck/forwards playing in their forward line. Can we interpret this as a change to a more attacking game plan, like what we showed in the 4th quarter on Sunday?

I also wonder if we will see Cameron play 1 on 1 on Wright or Crossley even though Cameron has not played in defence at all, IIRC? We decided to play Cameron instead of bringing Reg back. I suspect that without Rohan in the side we will go to the standard 3 key forwards with Cameron and Sinclair sharing the ruck work. It's a smart move from the perspective of risk management alone. I would hate to have to debut Cameron in a final because of an injury to Sinclair. He's had as good a season in the NEAFL as anyone without getting a call up, perhaps with the exception of Dawson last year (although Dawson did get one game early in the season).

Who would have thought that in the era of the one ruckman we be seeing a game with one side playing 2 and the other side playing 3?

I hope we play Rohan in defence in the NEAFL, not as a forward. There's nothing to be gained by playing him forward. We know what he can do, and not do there. He needs to be reprogrammed.
    I'd actually like to put Rohan on the ball in the mids. Maybe not an in and under, but more of an outside mid. That way he gets to utilise his pace as well as getting multiple touches.

Regular in the Side
    Cameron for Robinson? I can get my head around that just. Like the four emergencies but not sure who they will bring in if Kennedy is a late out. This game should be a percentage booster so hope they don't take the Suns too lightly.

I’m sure we tried him in defence and he’s not good at defending one on one. This might be unfair but I’m not convinced he has ability to concentrate he needs as a defender.

I’d also like to see him playing on the wing. Why haven’t they tried that? Does he lack the tank for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I'd actually like to put Rohan on the ball in the mids. Maybe not an in and under, but more of an outside mid. That way he gets to utilise his pace as well as getting multiple touches.
    I think you're right. With the lack of quality competition in the NEAFL it's too easy to hide in defence. Rohan needs to get his work rate up and be in the action.

There's always been a question about his tank, which has probably kept him out of the midfield. But we have to push him to a higher level. He has too much talent to be wasted. He should be at the top of his game now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We decided to play Cameron instead of bringing Reg back
    Ludwig it pains me to say this but I think you are right it was either Cameron or Reg.

I’m just not clear why Reg isn’t playing.

Veterans List
    Are the ressies on as the curtain closer? Means any emergency who didn't play seniors can front for the late game under the watchful eyes of the RWO scouts. Reg is an interesting one in all this.

Senior Player
    Well, well.

Reckon there are a few ways possible reasons for Cameron's selection. They could just be giving Sinclair (and McCartin) a break - Sinclair's looked like he needs one. They also could be providing extra tall defensive coverage with Grundy out, noting Ugg's observation about his intercept marking skills.

Or, they could be having a look at a different structure, with Reid likely missing the rest of the regular season. It's an interesting week to do that, giving we are coming off 104 points - a lot for us - although looking at it another way, we are playing the weakest team we have left so it's the most risk-averse circumstances to experiment. It does mean we have a marking target forward when both Buddy and McCartin are playing high, without needing to play someone like Aliir forward to change things up.

If it is a look at a different structure, I wonder where Grundy sits in it.

I thought I noticed a change in Longmire's rhetoric on Grundy this week. It started as a plan they apparently always had to give him a break. On Sam McClure's SEN show (I think it was) he said Grundy had a 'physical and mental' break, which was slightly different language. Then later in the week he said Grundy was in the same boat as Kennedy and Jack, which seemed a bit strange.

Finally, Longmire said on the team selection that Kennedy ultimately trained today. Seems likely he'll play.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    I think this is worth a try, for the reasons given. He could be a very telling back-cum-midfielder to add to Jonesy.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I'm very happy for Cameron but it does seem a bit of a change to our game plan. Giving Sinclair some support is a great move though. Grundy as an emergency is the puzzler for me. He's either fit to play or he isn't. He hasn't been down on form so it just seems strange to name him there. I'd have thought that he's either having another week off or he isn't.

Not second guessing selection committee as they obviously know a hell of a lot more than me but it does seem off from an outsider's perspective.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think this is worth a try, for the reasons given. He could be a very telling back-cum-midfielder to add to Jonesy.
    For someone who has been in the AFL as long as he has I just don't think he has the tank which is a shame considering his skill and his ability to seize some matchwinning moments

It seems that Grundy has taken some of the flack for the good form of Tom Hawkins and Jack Riewoldt. I have made several comments in other threads that Grundy has no match up against Richmond and shouldn't play against them. This challenges the logic of playing him at all, since we would almost certainly have to go through Richmond to win the Premiership, so playing Grundy is tantamount to conceding the premiership.

Grundy forces us to contract the operating space for the defence to work in, leading to the onslaught of pressure and repeated entries from opponents lining up outside our defensive 50 to send the ball back in after being kicked out in desperation. We are always on the back foot. What we want to do is expand the effective area of our defence and move it further from our goal which hopefully will change to inside 50s imbalance. It did in the NM game on Sunday. I suspect we will do well against GC, so we will most likely have to wait to see how things pan out in the final 5 weeks of the Home and Away season.

We've had a terrible record on the inside 50s differential and how we managed to get through that with such a good record is a mystery, but it did catch up with us vs Geelong and Richmond. Realistically something had to change. So why not simply accelerate the process of transforming our defence, and team in general, to more of an attacking unit. Now we find ourselves going smaller and quicker, using the absence of McVeigh and Hanners to bring in some quicker players, like O'Riordan and Fox.

We have a fair few core players out injured, so we have to come up with something new if we are find a formula that gives us some chance at the premiership. We still have plenty to work on, but at least we have a new direction.

So the new coaches at the Swans , the likes of Mr Johnson are Mr Cox are bending Horses ear and he’s acting on it.
    At one game at the SCG (3/4 time) recently, I noticed Cox giving a far bigger and longer spray to the troops than any one.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast