Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Changes for R18 v Suns

Reg is named as an emergency. I wonder if Marsh will be a late out, replaced by Grundy?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Andrew Wu reporting that Grundy has been left out for team balance. Which doesn’t make sense given that the Suns have two genuine tall forwards. I’d be more understanding if he was left out due to a choice between himself and Aliir, but really he’s been omitted in favour of Marsh who I believe is a limited defender.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/swa...17-p4zrwm.html

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think this is worth a try, for the reasons given. He could be a very telling back-cum-midfielder to add to Jonesy.
    He has No tank . Gaz could be a lot of things , reality is he’ll probably never be the player we hoped. Good highlight reel but not a great career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in two minds about this game and the changes made.

My first mind sees it that we are basically trialling some new structures and rewarding Cameron for some outstanding form in the ressies. This is good and I’m happy with this.

My other mind realises that we are playing the Gold Coast and so we may get a false positive out of these trials. It’s like giving a cricketer their first baggy green against the current West Indies. They’ll probably score a double hundred and look brilliant but we won’t really know how they will stack up against India.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It seems that Grundy has taken some of the flack for the good form of Tom Hawkins and Jack Riewoldt. I have made several comments in other threads that Grundy has no match up against Richmond and shouldn't play against them. This challenges the logic of playing him at all, since we would almost certainly have to go through Richmond to win the Premiership, so playing Grundy is tantamount to conceding the premiership. ...
    Drawing a long bow there. The way the Tiggers were moving the ball Reiwoldt was getting the ball on a platter. The only way any of our defenders could have stopped those kicks would have been to have a third fill the space in front of him and even then he may have just jumped over them. It can't seeing any of our backs beating Reiwoldt on that day. Craig Bolton would have been a good matchup
    Reg is a smart footballer with great stamina and is probably only behind Lloyd when it comes to back half kicking skills. Too soon to right off.

Grundy forces us to contract the operating space for the defence to work in...
    Surely with Reg on the last line of defence this contraction is a result of the rest of the team filling the D50 not just one player.
    It did in the NM game on Sunday. I suspect we will do well against GC, so we will most likely have to wait to see how things pan out in the final 5 weeks of the Home and Away season...
    Specious argument with a one game sample.
    We've had a terrible record on the inside 50s differential and how we managed to get through that with such a good record is a mystery,
    Because of our consistent back line and their leadership? The inside 50 stat is probably more a realistic reflection of our midfield being down than our backs not performing.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I fail to believe that Grundy has been dropped. He must be carrying and injury.
    Ludwig (an AFL plant) seems to forget the quality performance Grundy put in in our win over Geelong earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I fail to believe that Grundy has been dropped. He must be carrying and injury.
    Ludwig (an AFL plant) seems to forget the quality performance Grundy put in in our win over Geelong earlier in the year.
    I’d be surprised too. Horse can be very contradictory in his treatment of senior players (Hanners v ROK). I guess we’ll find out more on Saturday whether he’s a late in, plays reserves or doesn’t play at all?

Grundy named for the NEAFL

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Wow! Let see if he plays NEAFL

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    At Full Forward too!

Veterans List
    Damning Grundy for poor performances against Hawkins and Riewoldt seems harsh - they are probably the form forwards in the competition. Riewoldt was unbelievable that night and I'm not even convinced Grundy was playing on him much.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    At Full Forward too!
    He kicked 3 in his last reserves game (in 2008), so why not?!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast