Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #Round 18 Weekly Discussion Thread

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Robinson and Brereton are part of a football media that sensationalises everything on a weekly basis. Inconsistencies are never called out and their commentaries are superficial. Against Kangaroos, for instance, there was very quick ball movement from both teams in what was hailed as one of the matches of the year. Last week we were enormously resilient, apparently, with a hugely undermanned side . One week later, we are definitively hopeless. Also Robinson writes that when our midfield is down, we are in trouble. What a genius- as if that doesn't apply to every other team. So much crap written. Worthless drivel but a number of people hang on every word.
    My exact sentiments when I read this. Does he think that the team only tried to kick 9 goals against the Suns? It's not like we were stacking half the team behind the ball to "protect" the five goal lead we had at quarter-time. It's just that the team seemingly lost its ability to move the ball at the quarter time break (at least in part because the Suns decided to start applying some pressure, though that doesn't completely explain the debacle).

I have a similar issue when I read people on here complain about our game plan. Saturday wasn't a game plan issue. It was an inability to execute the basic functions of any game plan (ie win contested ball, kick/handball to a team mate's advantage, run to space to provide options to team mates, tackle).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My exact sentiments when I read this. Does he think that the team only tried to kick 9 goals against the Suns? It's not like we were stacking half the team behind the ball to "protect" the five goal lead we had at quarter-time. It's just that the team seemingly lost its ability to move the ball at the quarter time break (at least in part because the Suns decided to start applying some pressure, though that doesn't completely explain the debacle).

I have a similar issue when I read people on here complain about our game plan. Saturday wasn't a game plan issue. It was an inability to execute the basic functions of any game plan (ie win contested ball, kick/handball to a team mate's advantage, run to space to provide options to team mates, tackle).
    Thanks Liz - was starting to feel in a very small minority. I was at the North Swans game. I know Etihad usually produces a free flowing game but we moved the ball quickly and brilliantly a number of times that day. Appears we got a bit carried away with our(young) selves v Swans and when momentum swung, fear and uncertainty took over. The mental aspect is a huge part of any sport, regardless of game plan. Players, especially inexperienced ones, are not robots. My fear this year is whether we can rebound quickly from this loss given the current make up of the team missing a lot of experience. Also, we look to be trying to take the game on more and this may result in a step or two backwards before it becomes the norm.

Senior Player
    Clearly we weren't "on" against the Suns. Even in the first quarter they missed some complete sitters, and the quarter time score
    flattered us. Yet we remain fourth on the ladder. You don't need to be the best team in the comp to win a premiership, you just
    need to get to the finals and play really well when you do. Our best isn't as good as Richmond's best, and it looks like GWS have
    woken up and remembered who they are and I imagine we will struggle against them. West Coast are pretty good too, but we've
    beaten them twice this year so there is something about the way we match up with them that favours us. Everyone else I reckon
    we can beat. I get that long time supporters get excited about seeing new younger players come onto the scene, but in what are
    likely to be tough, grinding games I would lean towards taking as many experienced guys in as we can. We're not going to be
    able to revolutionise our game style overnight and suddenly kick twenty goals every game. It's just not
    going to happen. We do have the ability to get on a roll and string together six, seven, eight wins in a row. We've done it many
    times over the years and it's set up our season. I just don't think we're out of the picture just yet.

Fitzy is pretty open and funny talking on BOB about being drafted at The Swans.

He hated his first roommate , a ex private school blond haired kid. “This kid is an idiot”, he thought.
    Then he went to the first training session and the blond kid was immediately throwing his head into Paul Kelly and Darren Creswell.
    Fitzy then thinks “This kid is something special.”
    His name was Jude Boton and they have been great mates ever since.

- - - Updated - - -

Bolton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123