Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 18 Swans v Suns, SCG, 21 July 2018 @SydneySwans #SwansSuns

Quote Originally Posted by Daisi View Post
    You also have a point, I think loud and frequent booing of the umpires is perfectly acceptable and should be indulged in as much as possible..

Noise of Affirmation
    doesn't apply to non-footy states. Most of the umpires I've met consider Sydney crowds a bunch of know-nothings and wear boos from them as a badge of honour.

On the game, this was more than mere banana skin. Klaxon Bells are ringing, Longmire hears them but will he heed them? Stubborn is as stubborn does, more mule than horse.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I guess I see booing as a form of abuse. They booed Goodsey, I interpreted that as abuse.

To me all it will achieve is potentially alienating players from their supporters (or perhaps “fans” if they aren’t offering support).

I can’t imagine that the players aren’t aware that their performance on the weekend was poor. Maybe I over rate their intelligence or self-insight? No, on reflection I’m sure Horse made them painfully aware. So if they know they were unhappy, the coach was unhappy, I suspect they will have some vibe that fans might not be happy without the need to boo.

For decades the SCG was an imposing ground that opposition feared to tread upon and the majority of the booing didn’t come from our “too nice supporters”.

You are entitled to your opinion about booing the team you supports, I just think it’s a terrible and embarrassing look and a very poor example to the next generation of Swans supporters.
    Agree 100% why lower ourselves to that of some other club supporters? Not everyone wants to be the loud ferocious (and obnoxious) supporter. I’d rather be considered too nice than rude, obnoxious & boorish

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I know I got a few mentions on here so I'll address them

Yes I've cooled down, but I don't rescind my post about booing them off. I think the performance deserved it, I'm not suggesting anything worse like some of the feral clubs put out (i.e. verbal abuse, spitting etc.), but I think the players and club need to know that wasn't good enough. A good old boo (without abuse) is the only way to express the disappointment of the crowd

I've been a supporter since the early 80's and I've seen plenty of poor performances back in the bad old days, but at least the teams back then didn't have the talent. We are so much better on paper than Gold Coast its not funny, even with our injury list. That was just a complete lack of effort from a team who thought they could just show up to win.

I know I'll cop more negative feedback, but I think as a club our supporter base is too nice (which is a back handed insult anyway!). I don't think we make the SCG enough of a fortress, opposition clubs should hate going there and the umps should feel intimidated. It seems like opposition clubs enjoy playing at the SCG where the 19th man doesn't come into play, and the opposition team gets a good run with the umpires.

Flame away
    Cool down further champ.

Booing from the anonymity of a grandstand is not really at all cool .

The Suns had bugger all to lose but a slightly higher draft pick so they had a red hot crack and caught the Swans having a doze .

The Suns not only played well, they played outstandingly well .

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I know I got a few mentions on here so I'll address them

Yes I've cooled down, but I don't rescind my post about booing them off. I think the performance deserved it, I'm not suggesting anything worse like some of the feral clubs put out (i.e. verbal abuse, spitting etc.), but I think the players and club need to know that wasn't good enough. A good old boo (without abuse) is the only way to express the disappointment of the crowd

I've been a supporter since the early 80's and I've seen plenty of poor performances back in the bad old days, but at least the teams back then didn't have the talent. We are so much better on paper than Gold Coast its not funny, even with our injury list. That was just a complete lack of effort from a team who thought they could just show up to win.

I know I'll cop more negative feedback, but I think as a club our supporter base is too nice (which is a back handed insult anyway!). I don't think we make the SCG enough of a fortress, opposition clubs should hate going there and the umps should feel intimidated. It seems like opposition clubs enjoy playing at the SCG where the 19th man doesn't come into play, and the opposition team gets a good run with the umpires.

Flame away
    +100000000000000

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Nor is talking down to another poster from the anominity of your pc because you disagree with them (champ)

If you’re comfortable that it’s ok for highly paid athletes to go into a game against an inferior team and lose because they didn’t respect them, then fair play to you. I can respect that without being condescending

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches votes

8 Aaron Young (GCFC)
    5 Steven May (GCFC)
    5 Rory Thompson (GCFC)
    5 Lachie Weller (GCFC)
    3 Peter Wright (GCFC)
    2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
    1 Alex Sexton (GCFC)
    1 Luke Parker (SYD)

Young 4-4
    May/Thompson/Weller Two 5-0s and One 3-2
    Wright 3-0
    Kennedy 2-0
    Sexton, Parker 1-0

Veterans List
    I read our disposal efficiency during the second qr was 40%. You could have chosen 22 people at random from the grandstand and got better results than that. Something seriously went wrong.

C'mon. Footy is sport, but it is also theatre. Goodies and baddies, thrills and disappointments. Cheers and boos. And in moments of true desperation you might boo your own when they let you down. And let us down they did even if the reasons are reasonable.

Fortunately I had the flu and sitting in a warm, sunny part of the room I dosed off and on through the second half. Thanks for small mercies.

The Dew factor seems credible (his motivation would have been huge), combined with the loss of critical mass in experience it's almost understandable.

The worrying thing is, (the worry of the indulged) is there enough experience that will be fit and in form over the next year or two, to work with the new players to create another premiership window like 2016?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    The worrying thing is, (the worry of the indulged) is there enough experience that will be fit and in form over the next year or two, to work with the new players to create another premiership window like 2016?

Could be a busy trade period. We missed the finals in 2009 and late in that year, we traded for Mummy, McGlynn and Kennedy. A year or two earlier we acquired Mattner and Reece Shaw. 2012 saw us premiers. Not sure if there are players of that calibre available, but we do have a good track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Could be a busy trade period. We missed the finals in 2009 and late in that year, we traded for Mummy, McGlynn and Kennedy. A year or two earlier we acquired Mattner and Reece Shaw. 2012 saw us premiers. Not sure if there are players of that calibre available, but we do have a good track record.
    Buddy’s contract gives us less wriggle room to bring in those moneyball type recruits

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    ... Against the Suns we were hot favourites to have a percentage boosting win and at quarter time were coasting to one. The players got lazy and tried to be too cute and then got rattled as they got overhauled and passed by the Suns who were working much harder and faster. In their panic their brains seem to switch off and our structure fell apart. ...
    A reflection of the youth and relative experience of our team.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017