Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 18 Swans v Suns, SCG, 21 July 2018 @SydneySwans #SwansSuns

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    What's wrong with buddy?
    He doesn't seem to want to kick a goal.
    Seemed to play well up the ground a lot yesterday. They would say the game isn’t about individual honours but yesterday was the perfect chance to get back into Coleman consideration (which would likely have put us into a winning consideration too).

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    If you’re there boo them off the ground
    Disgraceful
    NEVER do that.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    NEVER do that.
    I’m with you, Yvonne. People forget very quickly that we’re playing half the NEAFL team. Even Aliir, one of our best players yesterday, has played less than 25 games. I still believe the future looks bright, but inconsistency is the hallmark of young teams.

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Neither were the Dogs at the conclusion of Round 23 in 2016
    The difference is that we won't get the dream run by the umpires they got and the GF isn't played on our home ground or in front of a home crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    The difference is that we won't get the dream run by the umpires they got and the GF isn't played on our home ground or in front of a home crowd.
    Our form away is much better than at the SCG this year

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    NEVER do that.
    Agree. It’s not like they’re not trying. Under delivering at times, but still trying. It’s ok to be disappointed but booing is poor form. Having said that, I don’t boo the opposition either, so I’m hardly going to do it to the team I love.

Our best (of currently selected players) midfield:
    Kennedy, Parker, Heeney, Florent, Hewett
    Compare this with Geelong:
    J Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett, Duncan, Menegola
    Or Richmond:
    McIntosh, Cotchin, Ellis, Edwards, Martin
    Or GWS:
    Ward, Coniglio, Shiel, Kelly, Whitfield
    Or even Brisbane:
    Beams, Berry, Zorko, Mcluggage, Robinson
    I think we have been punching well above our weight with our midfield. Kudos to our defenders for repelling constant inside 50's and hats off to our forwards for converting from minimal opportunities. And thumbs up to the coaching staff - I suspect they are implementing a game plan to suit a team with an undermanned midfield that still has us in fifth possibly fourth by the end of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Or Richmond:
    Or GWS:
    Or even Brisbane:
    I think we have been punching well above our weight with our midfield. Kudos to our defenders for repelling constant inside 50's and hats off to our forwards for converting from minimal opportunities. And thumbs up to the coaching staff - I suspect they are implementing a game plan to suit a team with an undermanned midfield that still has us in fifth possibly fourth by the end of today.
    What do we do to fix our midfield woes? With the ex-Dogs man in our recruiting team I wondered if we’d go after Wallis or possibly Libba? In the short term give Dawson a game, although I presume it’s a lot easier to win clearances in the NEAFL than AFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    What do we do to fix our midfield woes? With the ex-Dogs man in our recruiting team I wondered if we’d go after Wallis or possibly Libba? In the short term give Dawson a game, although I presume it’s a lot easier to win clearances in the NEAFL than AFL?
    No short term fix other than our current cattle stepping up. Remember when we drew a line in the sand last year when Carlton worked Mills over? I really hope another line has been drawn and the boys come out with some mongrel for the remaining rounds. Dawson might help (I really hope he does!) but Neafl form doesn't necessarily transfer to the AFL. Newman, Marsh, Rose, Foote etc just tear it up in Neafl but have all had their struggles at AFL level. Moving forward, we need a few things to happen. First is for our young midfielders to move up into the elite category by playing top footy week in week out. Second we need Hanners and Jack to recapture some form of old - unfortunately I think that is unlikely for this year (and maybe forever). Third, recruit some under utilised guns who won't necessarily cost an arm and a leg - another Joey (could Wallis be the man?) would be great or an overage bargain like Kelly and Menegola from the cats.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Far too many 'after the fact' experts here tonight.....selections are always a gamble and if there was ever a game to try a thing or two, today's was it. As I've said many a time, no one has a crystal ball, none of us nor the selectors. They tried a few things that didn't pay off, basically due to a team wide complacency......hardly their fault.

While it would be silly to suggest that this was a loss we had to have as a reality check before gearing up for a big finals series (because in reality it was a chance to cement our place the finals which we now have to fight for), I do know we can play far better than we did today and as a result of that embarrassment, I'm sure we shall improve in the coming weeks and the selectors will maybe not be so 'bold'.....except Dawson in next week and surely Grundy will return.

Yes, it was a shocker today but it's not time to run around carrying on like headless chooks. In all honesty, considering all of our injuries and our overall list, I'm looking to 2019 for really meaningful progress, I think this year is fading......but some crucial list management decisions will have to be made. Maybe that's where 'boldness' will be needed......
    My son and I made our annual Melbourne to SCG trip yesterday. While we were very disappointed, I agree totally with above post. I, too, think we're unlikely finallists this year. Both the senior team and the NEAFL team looked cooked yesterday and it would appear that injuries have finally caught up with us. However, we've uncovered some great young talent. I fear our 2018 will peter out but the future is bright!

Regarding booing your own team. It's like disowning your own kids when they make a mistake. Just not acceptable. My son and I received a pass into the rooms after the game. By the time we got there, only Isacc Heeney, Robbie Fox and Nic Newman were in the public area. My son has autism and intellectual delay. All 3 of those players were wonderful with him and happily had their photos taken with him. Their attitude to him brightened up an otherwise bleak day. Booing young men like that is just disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Or Richmond:
    Or GWS:
    Or even Brisbane:
    Even with several key midfielders missing for us we still stack up reasonably well against other groups, on paper at least. We were beaten by a midfield of Weller, Lyons, Brodie, Touk Miller and Lonergan. Not much better than a good NEAFL midfield. On paper, Geelong should be doing a lot better than they are, and so should Melbourne, for that matter.

I do agree that we've been punching above our weight in general, mainly due to several young players who have filled in for the injured players usually in our best 22.

There's something deeper that's gone wrong, but it's not clear what it is. I noted that this was the 3rd game, out of 4, that we lost after playing the previous week at Etihad. Maybe there's something not right about our preparation covering this sequence of games. The trouncing that NM took against Collingwood, who were quite undermanned, also seems more than coincidence. Was it just an emotional letdown after playing such a high intensity, high quality game, for both teams?

It's just so weird that the whole team played so poorly, and that extends to our reserves side as well. We will have to see how things go this week. We are coming off 2 consecutive 6 day breaks, so preparation will play a big part in Friday's game as well.

I think we have a very strong midfield group. Once you add names like Hannebery, Mills, Dawson and Jones, it should be very strong going into 2019. It's not that easy to predict how a group will gel together, how injury will effect the group and how many of the group will be playing at top form or having off years, like Hanners and Jack. It seems like we're heading in the right direction, but games like this one can make you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    If you’re there boo them off the ground
    Disgraceful
    There have been a few responses to this one, and IMO this is why we probably shouldn’t “passionately post” after a loss. People jump on RWO to vent. We hastily type what we might feel in the heat of the moment, but 99.9% of the time, if put in the situation, not actually do. But, once you press the Submit Reply button, you only have 10 minute window to fix or delete your hasty post.

To be honest, I don’t really know if caj23 would boo Swans players, but I’ll happily give him the benefit of the doubt that this was just a frustrated lapse in judgement.

I find the often harsh posts immediately post loss disheartening. It would be good if people type their posts but DON’T immediately submit it. Wait 10 minutes. Re-read it. And then if you’re happy for it to be read and commented on, THEN submit it (you’d still have another 10 minutes to change or delete it, but you’ve had time to reflect on whether it’s how you wish to be perceived).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    My son and I made our annual Melbourne to SCG trip yesterday. While we were very disappointed, I agree totally with above post. I, too, think we're unlikely finallists this year. Both the senior team and the NEAFL team looked cooked yesterday and it would appear that injuries have finally caught up with us. However, we've uncovered some great young talent. I fear our 2018 will peter out but the future is bright!

Regarding booing your own team. It's like disowning your own kids when they make a mistake. Just not acceptable. My son and I received a pass into the rooms after the game. By the time we got there, only Isacc Heeney, Robbie Fox and Nic Newman were in the public area. My son has autism and intellectual delay. All 3 of those players were wonderful with him and happily had their photos taken with him. Their attitude to him brightened up an otherwise bleak day. Booing young men like that is just disgraceful.
    Go well, mate.