Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Swans vs Bombers

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post

Why was Heeney playing in defence???
    I don't think he was playing in defence. From listening to the commentary his opponent took him down there and he wasn't accountable so he cost us a couple of goals.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Whoever plays, they shouldn't be so Buddy-centric... for some reason or other (I say he's carrying an injury of some sort), he doesn't want to kick goals. Where have the 60m punts gone?
    A lot of Saturday, Buddy was one-on-one (and still managed to get slapped). Normally, he's got four defenders playing on him.
    When there are four blokes on him, I'm assuming that there are four of our forwards with no dancing partners. Kick it to them.
    The mids should make themselves more available to help out in the goal department.
    Agree about Buddy playing injured Annie, saw him get up from a rub down during the game. Looked very sore.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

If you were picking a team based on that last performance, you would have about 15 outs for this week. That said, I feel the following changes should be made
    Ins: Dawson Grundy
    Outs: McCartain Marsh
    I don't care what you say about Reg's speed, he brings more to the team than Marsh who lacks composure at AFL level. Marsh is a prime example of an excellent Neafl player who unfortunately is not quite up to AFL standard. He has had plenty of opportunities. McCartin has been excellent for a first season player, in particular his over head marking and his ability to get around the park. I feel his kicking is still average (he's not the only one though!) and he has been getting out muscled by bigger bodied opponents. Might be time to give him a break. Dawson can fill his role at half forward and also come into the midfield to assist Joey with some clearances and tackles. It's his time to show us if he is capable of making an impact at AFL level. Re. Cameron, its too early to pass judgment on what he is capable of. Had limited opportunities on Saturday and there would definitely be more of a role for him on Friday if McCartain is not picked. He certainly displays some great attributes in the Neafl - Very mobile and quick for his size, good endurance, great kick, excellent tap work

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Dawson on paper could be a reverse Josh Kennedy if we aren’t careful. Big bodied midfielder struggling to force his way into a “star studded midfield”

Surely we have to play him or lose him

BTW from Key Swans defender no guarantee to return - AFL.com.au

SYDNEY key defender Heath Grundy is no guarantee to return for Friday night's crucial clash with Essendon as coach John Longmire continues to weigh up the veteran's place in his best side.

IN: Dawson
    OUT: Cameron
    Dropping the lynch pin from the best defense in the competition is absolutely nuts.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    +1

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    + another. I'm generally a fan but he needs to learn his poop does stink. That moment when he got caught holding the ball and stood and whinged to the ump (against what was a bleedingly obvious fee) while his opponent took and scored the goal - that was the sign Zac needs some time to reflect on where he's at.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    If you were picking a team based on that last performance, you would have about 15 outs for this week. That said, I feel the following changes should be made
    Ins: Dawson Grundy
    Outs: McCartain Marsh
    I don't care what you say about Reg's speed, he brings more to the team than Marsh who lacks composure at AFL level. Marsh is a prime example of an excellent Neafl player who unfortunately is not quite up to AFL standard. He has had plenty of opportunities. McCartin has been excellent for a first season player, in particular his over head marking and his ability to get around the park. I feel his kicking is still average (he's not the only one though!) and he has been getting out muscled by bigger bodied opponents. Might be time to give him a break. Dawson can fill his role at half forward and also come into the midfield to assist Joey with some clearances and tackles. It's his time to show us if he is capable of making an impact at AFL level. Re. Cameron, its too early to pass judgment on what he is capable of. Had limited opportunities on Saturday and there would definitely be more of a role for him on Friday if McCartain is not picked. He certainly displays some great attributes in the Neafl - Very mobile and quick for his size, good endurance, great kick, excellent tap work
    I agree that McCartin needs a spell in the 2s. The fact is, he is not a goal kicker and his value is the fact that he competes so well on the ground and in the air. Buddy is clearly playing sore and Dawson is a goal kicker as well as a big mid. Time to give him a go.

Reg needs to come in as a replacement for Cameron. Aliir can be played further up the ground. Hard to see who else can come in given the state of injuries and players still finding fitness and form. So:
    Ins: Ditto
    Outs: Ditto

On the veteran's list
    No way AJ will play until he carves it up week after week in the ressies. He needs to be super confident in his knee and not double guessing his decision making. Essendon on a fast deck would be too big an ask at the moment. Probably will not play seniors till next year after another preseason

Goes up to 11
    Reg is an obvious in this week.
    Sure we lost the weekend's match mentally, but our defence was unbalanced and Rampe and Lloyd really missed their partner in crime.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Smith’s played two of the worst games I can remember that happen to coincide with Grundys ‘rest’

Senior Player
    I don't agree McCartin should be spelled. He took 8 marks and contributed to a game-winning play against North. He had a down game on Saturday, but that doesn't mean he needs to be dropped. He's been an important player. Having said that, I agree his goalkicking is below standard

Longmire has admitted it was a mistake to play Cameron and Sinclair, and they won't drop Sinclair.

Marsh isn't an AFL defender. If they don't want to pick Grundy for whatever reason, and Longmire still seemed pretty cold on it in the presser today, then pick Johnno.

Finally, Dawson plays for Newman. He's a left-footer too. He's going to win more contested ball and clearances, and provide greater threat forward (where Newman found himself at times on Saturday).

OUT: Cameron, Newman, Marsh
    IN: Towers (bloody chase, lad!), Dawson, Grundy

Veteran Site Admin
    A few comments in response to things said by a variety of posters in this thread:

- agree that Buddy looked sore on Saturday. His pace was a little down and he didn't look as agile. He actually looked in good nick the previous week so I wonder if he picked up a niggle in that game or early on Saturday, or if he's just managing ongoing issues that are easier to play through some weeks. He did have a few shots at goal, but while his kicking was crisp against North, it wasn't against the Suns. Even his field kicking was a bit off.

- am flummoxed at the suggestion Jones should be dropped. I agree his disposals can sometimes be frustrating (for me because it's a concentration issue, rather than an ability issue) but he's one of the few blokes in the team who's tried to take the game on in the three recent losses. One of the most oft read criticisms on here of the Swans' game style is that they are too conservative bringing the ball out of defence. Yet the one guy who is trying to break the lines with his pace should be dumped??? I had him as one of our very best against the Roos, because he combined his line breaking runs with good disposal. That was, in part, because he had team mates presenting and creating options. This was less evident on Saturday, which contributed to some of his turnover (admittedly not all of them).

- I don't see AJ getting a senior game this season unless we're desperate. While his form in the NEAFL is reasonably promising, I'd be surprised if his endurance is anything like up to the level required at senior level. Bear in mind that the last pre-season he completed was post 2012. He didn't complete the pre-season last year or this, and has only been back playing a couple of months. He's not the excited quick young colt he was back in 2012. Although he seems to be moving quite well, his pace is noticeably down on 2012, unsurprisingly given what his body has been through. He may or may not have shown enough to persuade the club to retain him on the list for next year but I think he needs to be able to complete a full pre-season before he's close to ready to playing senior AFL again.

- I don't think there's anything to lose by bringing in Dawson this week, in place of either Newman, Fox or one of McCartin/Cameron. He's the one player at NEAFL level that looks most capable of becoming a senior player. Mind you, he won't get to play on-ball, not to begin with. So he won't be racking up 30+ possessions or laying 24 tackles. And he's not overly quick. He is a good contested mark, however, and a long and usually reliable goal kicker. So we have nothing to lose by playing him across half-forward and hoping he can add to the goal kicking options. Of the players he could come in for, I'd prefer Fox stays. I think he contributes more than Newman. However, it's close to a certainty that one of McCartin or Cameron will lose their spot. I hate players getting dropped after a single game debut so would quite like to see Cameron get another chance. However, we're playing one of the quickest teams on the quickest deck and McCartin is more mobile than Cameron. So unless McCartin is sore and would benefit from a rest, I think Cameron will be the one to go.

Veterans List
    Well said, agree with all of that. Selection comments can be a bit off beam after a bad loss calling for any number of players to be chopped but after the North win we were flag bound weren't we?

The old adage should always be said out loud before posting after a game result "It's never as good as it seems, it's never as bad as it seems".

Unless you're Carlton :-)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast