Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: NEAFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Thanks to you and Liz for your dedication. I write this from Bangers (Bangkok). Been here for job interviews. I think I might just write a weekly column on Aussie Rules in whatever Asian English daily wants it. Better than teaching English in Bangers.

So Dawson and Long are still injured. That is a very big pity because our depth would have been far better for them being available. Good to hear Stoddart continuing on where he left off.

Robbo was disgusting in the GWS match. His numbers told the story. If he really wants out why did he not force the issue and head for the preseason draft. Jordie is a different kettle of fish. Tries so hard but just doesn't have the skill set.

I am a big wrap for young Bell. He has uncanny ability. His peripheral vision is sensational. He moves like a quicker Mickey O. This kid is a keeper and if he stays injury clear will be a wonderful player for many years.

Interesting to hear the wraps on Amarty. He has obviously grown from his listed 196cm, not unexpected, but it was about his pulling down pack marks and kicking really long that interested me. Both he and Cameron are extremely mobile rucks. This gives us the flexibility of playing them as damaging forwards, exploiting opposition lack of height, and still being able to have a mobile forward set up who are able to harass the opposition.

Glad to hear Reg got through OK. The only one I am worried about now, other than Sinkers and Aliir, is Ramps. Where is Sir Dane?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using Tapatalk
    No need for concern about Rampe, he was there with the senior players. He played good minutes in AFLX and in JLT1 so I assume that was deemed sufficient game time and have him ready for round 1.

I agree re Bell, he reminded me of Mickey O with his balance. I think he will thrive in a full time environment.

Amarty had a kick at goal from the 50m mark that went through at the top third of the goal posts. Not just that but his timing was such he barely seemed to kick it. It's early days but already I see him as potentially having more to offer than Pink who sadly was injured today.

Think you are perhaps a bit harsh on Robbo, I don't think "forcing the issue" was ever the case. No reason he would walk out on a contract, just throwing out the fact he'd be open to a trade. That there was no interest we know of says it all. He is a classic depth player, he may get a second chance as a rookie elsewhere but I doubt he's got any draft currency for us

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't think Amartey has grown - not just by sight. He's clearly half a head shorter than Cameron (and hence I don't see him as anything more than a makeshift ruck at AFL level).

Don't understand the comment about Robinson "being disgusting" against the Giants. He looked his normal self to me - honest and hardworking but lacking the size or skill or pace (one of the above) to become a true senior level AFL player. I don't think he got much game time, which would explain his numbers.

And why are you worried about Rampe? He was present and correct at today's game (as spectator) and there's no (reported) injury cloud over him. He's been a regular item in the recent photo galleries of training sessions.

I had forgotten about Bell when I wrote my post. I agree with Papernick's observations of him. He did show a bit of class out there today (as he did in the AFLX). I reckon he just needs to up his intensity and get involved more often, rather than coast around when the ball's not in his vicinity.

I think uni were ok. That was their first competitive hit out, and they got better as the game went on. In fact they won the last quarter. I think bird will make a big difference for them in the mid.
    They are likely to finish top due to the draw

I did not think Robinson's game was disgusting. He was good in midfield especially early. He was good at the contest, provided an option and kept possession well.

I liked Ronke's game. He reminds me of Papley. Whether he was playing centre midfield or half forward he was involved a lot and chased down defensively well.

Hayward played in midfield and forward. He was rusty at times. But you could tell he was a quality player. He can cleanly pick up a loose ball in the forward pocket, find space to present himself as an option and still kicked three or four goals.

I liked Stoddart. He mostly played wing and half forward maybe briefly half back. Not everything came off. He made some nice overlapping runs, looked inside to make a short pass and took some nice overhead marks.

I can't judge Amarty's ruck work. He shared centre bounce ruck duties and played centre forward at other times. He seems good around the ground. Not huge but quite mobile and nice hands. Longer term maybe more of a second ruck.
    Last edited by SeanM; 17th March 2018 at 08:47 PM.

I wouldn't rule out Amartey as a ruckman. We should keep in mind that the AA ruckman Paddy Ryder is only 1 cm taller. Jeff White was 195cm. It's not how high the top of the head is from the ground, but how high the hands get when jumping. It's also a matter of timing. We will have to wait and see how he does as the season progresses.

There are not too many ruckmen coming through the system these days which suit the modern game and more teams will have to resort to the tall mobile utility as a ruck option. I can see an Amartey-Aliir ruck combo as quite possible.

Sounds like good news about Ronke and Bell. Ronke is good mates with Hayward, who gave him a big plug while guest-commenting during the GWS interclub match in February. (Note: This is not a sex joke).

Thank you to those who shared with us some interesting details about players, who played and who didn't, it is much appreciated. Now we know more than the Swans tell us, their supporters. I hope this improves dramatically as we are 6 days to liftoff

Thanks for all the reports from those who attended! Much appreciated.

I'm glad to hear some votes of confidence for Robbo. I'm not confident that he is going to make it but I'm a fan. He's a really good player and team man and has more to offer than Foote (who also gives his all and plays for the team). Still he's up against it with the talent that has been coming into the club.

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I thought Robinson was bog. He dominated the middle. He is clearly an inside mid, kinda sad he can�t get an opportunity to play his natural game in the seniors
    In the GWS match? 6 disposals. That is not good enough if you are going to make it as a mid at this level. I have always been a big wrap for Robbo bit as soon as he put it about he wanted out I now doubt his commitment. Same as Jessie

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM View Post
    I did not think Robinson's game was disgusting. He was good in midfield especially early. He was good at the contest, provided an option and kept possession well.

I liked Ronke's game. He reminds me of Papley. Whether he was playing centre midfield or half forward he was involved a lot and chased down defensively well.

Hayward played in midfield and forward. He was rusty at times. But you could tell he was a quality player. He can cleanly pick up a loose ball in the forward pocket, find space to present himself as an option and still kicked three or four goals.

I liked Stoddart. He mostly played wing and half forward maybe briefly half back. Not everything came off. He made some nice overlapping runs, looked inside to make a short pass and took some nice overhead marks.

I can't judge Amarty's ruck work. He shared centre bounce ruck duties and played centre forward at other times. He seems good around the ground. Not huge but quite mobile and nice hands. Longer term maybe more of a second ruck.
    I did not see that game. I was alluding to the GWS game. He missed tackles, was way off the contest and he was slow to react. He only got 6 disposals.

Liz said that was because he did not get too much game time but the replay belies that. He had at least 70 minutes on the turf.

I also don't agree that he has a poor skull set. I've seen him make some sensational moves and his disposal is normally good. I just think he was being a typical private school boy soon at the end of last season.

I was at that game and sat behind the interchange. Robinson played 5 minutes of the first quarter. None of the second or third and 20 minutes of the last quarter. He played high forward which is not his position.
    The general consensus of the people I was with was that he was injured or being punished for seeking a trade

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I was at that game and sat behind the interchange. Robinson played 5 minutes of the first quarter. None of the second or third and 20 minutes of the last quarter. He played high forward which is not his position.
    The general consensus of the people I was with was that he was injured or being punished for seeking a trade
    One thing Fantasy Football is good for - providing some data. The AFL published information last week about every player who played in the JLT, which included information about TOG. This attributes 25% TOG to Robinson, which is almost exactly what your observations indicate. Impressive!

JLT Series: Every player's AFL Fantasy scores - AFL.com.au

However, I don't think you need conspiracy stories, like him being punished for requesting a trade. I think it's far more reasonable to interpret it as reflecting where he sits in the pecking order (which is similar to where's he's sat in the pecking order for the last couple of seasons, even when not injured, and explains why he asked for a trade). Most clubs - the Swans included - used JLT 2 to get game time into the players they are most likely to play in round 1. It was an extended squad (26), so it was to be expected that those not in the best 22 would get less time on ground. And while "on-ball" might be his best position, he's a way off forcing his way into the on-ball rotations within the senior team. When he has had senior team opportunities in the past, it's been as a half-forward. So what we saw in JLT 2 is just a continuation of what we've seen in the past.

It really doesn't seem in the nature of the Swans to punish a player for requesting a trade.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Pretty sure Robinson was the ruck backup to Towers for most of the last quarter as well, after they put Cameron in cotton wool.

Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast