Page 53 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: NEAFL discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Maybe the home against Gold Coast in 2 weeks might be the right time for AJ to make his fairytale comeback. Hoping he has another good game in the NEAFL next week to push for senior selection.
    I was impressed by AJ yesterday (at least what one could tell from the stream). Seems to be moving the freest he has for a long time and his tank is starting to return. Knowing how (understandably) conservative the club has been with AJ, I would expect they will want him to have a month - 6 weeks of good performances like that before they will consider him for Seniors. But if he puts in a big one next week (noting its the tough road trip to the NT), then perhaps he might be an outside chance for getting a game against the Suns.

I thought Marsh played well - I think he will come back in to the team for sure. Newman seems likely too. Cameron continues to power on up forward, and I wouldn't be against him getting a debut sooner rather than later - even if its just for a game or two to shoulder some of the load for Sinclair. Dawson also is beginning to build up a decent run of form - I have no doubt he will be considered too. And COR continues to impress - though we know how big the step from NEAFL to AFL level can be.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Don't want to hear talk of Marsh, COR must debut before Marsh gets another game. Newman offers more than Marsh at senior level IMO.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Don't want to hear talk of Marsh, COR must debut before Marsh gets another game. Newman offers more than Marsh at senior level IMO.
    Agree. As good as Marsh has been, COR has been smashing it all season (ave. 28.5 poss/game) topping it off with 37 possessions, 11 marks and 2 goals on the weekend. Even though Marsh has senior experience, COR's form can be ignored no more......it's time
    Last edited by stevoswan; 9th July 2018 at 12:43 AM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Agree. As good as Marsh has been, COR has been smashing it all season (ave. 28.5 poss/game) topping it off with 37 possessions, 11 marks and 2 goals on the weekend. Even though Marsh has senior experience, COR's form can be ignored no more......it's time
    Marsh is a depth player at best, no upside from the limited influence that he's shown in more than enough senior games. Time to get games into COR, we have no idea how good he can be.

Senior Player
    Marsh is a depth player at best, no upside from the limited influence that he's shown in more than enough senior games. Time to get games into COR, we have no idea how good he can be.
    Bit harsh on Harry. Done his job in a lot of wins. Given the way Hanners and Jack have played, he would still improve the team.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Senior Player
    Good clearance and tackle numbers from Dawson again. Outstanding numbers across the board from the top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Good clearance and tackle numbers from Dawson again. Outstanding numbers across the board from the top 4.
    Mind you the much maligned Marsh had 9 clearances and the yet-to-get-a-game Cameron had 7.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Bit harsh on Harry. Done his job in a lot of wins. Given the way Hanners and Jack have played, he would still improve the team.
    Agreed.
    Marsh has never let us down at senior level unlike Newman.

I agree with this. I don't think Marsh is a maligned player. It's simply hard to see where the improvement is going to come from him to make him a long-term regular in the senior side. It doesn't mean that he's not a reliable backup when needed. Marsh has a good skill set and is not slow afoot, but he is a slow decision maker and his first few steps often leaves him behind his opponent.

I do have concerns whether Newman can lift his game enough to hold a senior spot. But what I prefer about Newman, compared to Marsh, is that Newman is more creative and aware of what's happening around the ground. He has more of an AFL level game.

COR plays AFL type footy in the NEAFL. It is time to see if he can produce that in the real AFL. Before AJ's return, Colin, along with Aliir, ran our defence, even though Marsh had more experience.

NT THUNDER

B: 22. Daniel Weetra 45. Sam Dyke 3. Ben Rioli
    HB: 19. Braedon McLean 17. Joe Anderson 26. Sam Smith
    C: 49. Nick Yarran 24. Abraham Ankers 10. Shannon Rioli
    HF: 5. Michael Mummery 29. Kaine Riley 46. Patrick Boles
    F: 6. Jarrod Stokes 2. Darren Ewing 37. Liam Patrick
    Foll: 20. Jack Monigatti* 16. Cameron Ilett 23. Richard Tambling
    Inter: 11. Phillip Wills 21. Chris Williams 43. Patrick White 27. Shaun Wilson 13. Tylah Saunders
    Emer: 54. Izzac Wyatt 39. Scott McLeod 41. Jamie Hampton
    In: 5. Michael Mummery 43. Patrick White 11. Phillip Wills 13. Tylah Saunders 23. Richard Tambling
    Out: 39. Scott McLeod (omitted) 52. Coen Hutt (injured) 53. Beau Schwarze (unavailable) 33. Matt Campbell (unavailable) 14. Hugo Drogemuller (injured)

*Denotes 23rd player

SYDNEY

B: 6. Jordan Foote 21. Jack Maibaum 2. Alex Johnson
    HB: 34. Jordan Dawson 59. Kyle Veerhuis 47. Toby Pink
    C: 51. Connor Flanagan 41. Jake Brown 53. Max Ries
    HF: 56. Joey Reinhard 52. Joshua Stern 48. Sam Thorne
    F: 55. Bailey Stewart 19. Harrison Parker 58. Mitchell Rogers
    Foll: 46. Joel Amartey 32. James Bell 54. Dylan Smith
    Inter (from): 17. Darcy Cameron 10. Zak Jones 31. Harry Marsh 28. Nic Newman 38. Colin O’Riordan 27. Daniel Robinson 16. Gary Rohan 22. Dean Towers
    Emer: 57. Michael Carroll 50. Lachlan Swaney 49. Cooper Kilpatrick
    In: 22. Dean Towers 27. Daniel Robinson 16. Gary Rohan 52. Joshua Stern 10. Zak Jones 56. Joey Reinhard
    Out: 20. Sam Reid (injured) 50. Sam Wicks (omitted) 49. Isaac Bartholomaeus (omitted)

No Stoddart or Styles, who not surprisingly are also not listed on the injury list.

I've heard we're taking 2 traveling emergencies to Melbourne, so we'll have just 10 listed players for this game.