Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Is Longmire cooked?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I'll be the first to cheer when Horse leaves but Hanners going for more money and longer contract, Rohan going home for family reasons and Newman wanting out through lack of opportunities does not automatically mean there is unrest in the playing group. I don't believe a word of the Parker bulldust until I hear it from his mouth so lets try not to give this oxygen until such time as we have some hard facts. At the moment it is pure media speculation.
    There is no truth to the Parker garbage. Post on his instagram last night made that very clear.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn3XxEmB...by=luke_parker
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I wondered if the loss of so many coaches last year - Dew, Francou, Playfair, Taubert, ... All the new coaches, with the exception of maybe Kirk, are junior ones, which implies the Swans weren't looking to introduce new IP to their gameplan. And the one coach who was mostly likely to want to challenge Horse and change things up, Shaw, has left.
    Without checking other clubs I would think it's fairly unique to have so many ex players in your coaching setup these days.

Brett Kirk, Rhyce Shaw, Stuart Maxfield, Tadhg Kennelly, Jeremy Laidler. Add McVeigh to that list for 2020 (original plan was probably for him to replace Shaw for 2019).

Then Steve Johnson and Dean Cox in their first year with us. And Longmire and Blakey sitting at the top who've been here forever.

I wonder how much of it is a basic difficulty in being able to entice good assistants already in the system from VIC (in particular) and SA/WA? Is COL an issue, especially given there is a football department spending cap and we probably can't just pay more to offset that? Problematic getting those with families of school age to move?

But it does raise the question just how challenged is Longmire with all the familiar faces around, and how challenging are those assistants who have played and then started coaching within the same system.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Without checking other clubs I would think it's fairly unique to have so many ex players in your coaching setup these days.

Brett Kirk, Rhyce Shaw, Stuart Maxfield, Tadhg Kennelly, Jeremy Laidler. Add McVeigh to that list for 2020 (original plan was probably for him to replace Shaw for 2019).

Then Steve Johnson and Dean Cox in their first year with us. And Longmire and Blakey sitting at the top who've been here forever.

I wonder how much of it is a basic difficulty in being able to entice good assistants already in the system from VIC (in particular) and SA/WA? Is COL an issue, especially given there is a football department spending cap and we probably can't just pay more to offset that? Problematic getting those with families of school age to move?

But it does raise the question just how challenged is Longmire with all the familiar faces around, and how challenging are those assistants who have played and then started coaching within the same system.
    If you’d posted this a year earlier you could have included Steve Taubert too

I don't really see the problem with our assistant coaches. Shaw was a big loss, but he needs to build a resume. Kirk and Cox have a few years experience and seem to be fine. SJ is in his first year, but everyone acknowledges that he was a clever footballer who was always gong into coaching. I have reservations about Laidler. I have no idea what he does. I think having young coaches with fresh ideas helps invigorate the team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I don't really see the problem with our assistant coaches. Shaw was a big loss, but he needs to build a resume. Kirk and Cox have a few years experience and seem to be fine. SJ is in his first year, but everyone acknowledges that he was a clever footballer who was always gong into coaching. I have reservations about Laidler. I have no idea what he does. I think having young coaches with fresh ideas helps invigorate the team.
    Laidler is very important. His job is clearly about decoy positioning and he takes his role very seriously. He believes the rolemodelling is the best form of teaching

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What are you basing your opinion on? Unless you're involved with the team on a weekly basis...training, meetings, one on ones etc etc...How could you possibly know?

Are you basing you're opinion on them as players? If so, that's littered with contradictions like Hird, Voss, Watson, Tony Shaw etc
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    What are you basing your opinion on? Unless you're involved with the team on a weekly basis...training, meetings, one on ones etc etc...How could you possibly know?

Are you basing you're opinion on them as players? If so, that's littered with contradictions like Hird, Voss, Watson, Tony Shaw etc
    I don't know, which is why I don't have a problem with them as coaches. I don't have a negative opinion of them and the little I do know about them seems okay. Some people on here have voiced negative opinions of these coaches without offering any reason why they aren't right for the job, other than they are new.

On the veteran's list
    Longmire's phone will be running hot in the next 24 hours as Buckley, Simpson and Goodwin try to pick his brain on how to beat their finals opposition. After all, Horse's game plan had a perfect record against these three teams.

Longmire 4 ..... Buckley, Simpson and Goodwin 0

👌

That really is an enigma, wrapped up in a mystery.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Longmire's phone will be running hot in the next 24 hours as Buckley, Simpson and Goodwin try to pick his brain on how to beat their finals opposition. After all, Horse's game plan had a perfect record against these three teams.

Longmire 4 ..... Buckley, Simpson and Goodwin 0

👌
    I can't help thinking that sometimes the sheer will of our players gets us over the line and not necessarily the 'game plan'.....sadly, I don't think any of those coaches will be picking Horse's brain during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I can't help thinking that sometimes the sheer will of our players gets us over the line and not necessarily the 'game plan'.....sadly, I don't think any of those coaches will be picking Horse's brain during the week.
    +1
    Swans find a way to win despite our game plan.

Found this article after listening to SEN tonight (Sam Maclure) regarding how much supporters rate their coaches.
    Sam Maclure was surprised Longmire being rated only at 69% by supporters (11th spot). He was gob smacked when taking calls from Swans supporters who were ALL negative about Longmire, with reasons that have been posted here regarding no plan B, too defensive, too slow to react & not using Buddy properly. One caller even suggesting Longmire needs to go! Sam couldn't believe the negativity, as he sees the Swans are super consistent playing finals each year even after 0-6 start last season & injuries to key players this year including Tippet's sudden retirement.

The coach ladder: Who's pleasing the crowd? - AFL.com.au