Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Longmire cooked?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    It's hard to know who is responsible for what when you have a team, but given the consistency of our "brand" of footy through so many years it must be largely Horse's choice to play this way. If Horse were to delegate ball movement to an expert (or have an expert suggest best options for our skill set) it might be a good thing. No point getting in Caracella if you aren't going to apply his expertise.

Rule changes - 6/6/6 etc might be a positive if they force a rethink on our coaching panel.

There was discussion this week on the Age Realfooty podcast (or should I now say - NEG's podcast) about a major difference of opinion between Dew and Longmire over tactics, which may have been a significant factor behind Dew's decision to go after the Gold Coast job. Of all the journos out there, I think the formerly Fairfax lot seem the most decent. That would explain the total clean out at the end of 2017.
    Dew was a candidate for other jobs before Gold Coast. Fairfax used to be more decent but in recent times have joined the rumour monger brigade. To be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion.

In the end the only thing that matters is his relationship with the board.
    Look at Buckley. Amazing that he held his job as long as he did. He obviously was able to repeatedly make his case and had they not moved up the ladder this year may well be on shaky ground again.
    Are the board frustrated with Longmire?
    Is he not delivering what he said he would?
    Have they questioned his game plan and sought changes that he hasn't been able to deliver?
    Do they think that the quality of players we have should be performing better?
    Are they sympathetic to the injury list?
    How much good grace does he have to allow for poor team performance?
    Has there been assistant coach dissent?
    Etc?
    Etc?

They'd have a list of questions to answer and move from there.
    In all likelihood, they are a bit more pragmatic than most fans who call for his head after a few poor performances.
    They would have their own criteria that he's need to satisfy to feel safe in his job.

So everyone can speculate as much as they like as fans, but in the end it's all just that.
    A very different story when looked at professionally.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Look at Buckley. Amazing that he held his job as long as he did. He obviously was able to repeatedly make his case and had they not moved up the ladder this year may well be on shaky ground again.
    Have they questioned his game plan and sought changes that he hasn't been able to deliver?
    Etc?
    Etc?

In all likelihood, they are a bit more pragmatic than most fans who call for his head after a few poor performances.
    They would have their own criteria that he's need to satisfy to feel safe in his job.

So everyone can speculate as much as they like as fans, but in the end it's all just that.
    Good post CTS. It has worked out for Collingwood this year but Buckley only survived, in my opinion, because McGuire is a protected species in the Melbourne media and Nathan is 'his boy'.

The thing that has continually astounded me is our kick outs after a behind. Lloyd seems to always be the go too but continually kicks a short kick to the pocket which is then kicked down the line. Ok tactics when you have Sam Reid or Tippo as the bail out but just makes no sense with our current line up. I have been slow to get on the oust Horse bandwagon given the respect he affords from supporters as a Premiership Coach but I just see no changes to how we played in 2014 and when playing styles were so different and we had different players. Roosy left after 8 years as he felt the players would need a new voice but the players of our club have had Horse as a coach in one role or another since 2003??

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    I think he is, his look in the coaches box is one of not knowing what to do.
    Surprised everyone is putting blame on Longmire. They looked slow and sore and really struggled to see out the game. The sight of Buddy just trotting after a Essendon player was sad to see. With all these injuries and sore sorry players, maybe it's time to look at the fitness staff. No plan B would have helped last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Dew has been after a senior coaching position for a few years and he went after the Gold Coast job when it became available. It had nothing to do with difference of opinions with Longmire. Dare I say "fake news".
    'Fake news'......yes there is a lot of that going around these days but you can't just write off every footy news story. They're not all made up surely.....I don't think blind loyalty to a club excuses ignoring something that might have credence and in a lot of ways, makes a lot of sense. I love Horse as much as the next Swans fan but everyone has their limitations and no one is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    The thing that has continually astounded me is our kick outs after a behind. Lloyd seems to always be the go too but continually kicks a short kick to the pocket which is then kicked down the line. Ok tactics when you have Sam Reid or Tippo as the bail out but just makes no sense with our current line up. I have been slow to get on the oust Horse bandwagon given the respect he affords from supporters as a Premiership Coach but I just see no changes to how we played in 2014 and when playing styles were so different and we had different players. Roosy left after 8 years as he felt the players would need a new voice but the players of our club have had Horse as a coach in one role or another since 2003??
    Agree, kicking to a pack rarely works for Sydney. Macca doesn’t, usually finds a man in space.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    On the kick outs. We seem to take the just 15 metre kick to the back pocket too often. This allows the opposition to set up down the line. So often we then back across ground. We now have Dawson in the team who is a terrific kick who can kick way beyond 50. So why wouldn't get someone like that to kick out to get some quick movement through the midfield. Lloyd picks a lot of his stats up from the old one, two plays.

I just don't understand why we don't use Rampe as designated kicker, his kick is so penetrating and usually spot on but this comes back to the coaching, surely Ramps could play midfield when Melican is back next year? I am totally bemused by this "pension off Reg" line of commentary. He is obviously injured but was among our best players consistently up until the last four weeks. I think Kizza needs to be put out to pasture for the year, along with Bud and Hanners as we will not win it this year but with a bit of tweaking of our list we could be a massive show next year. btw I would love to see Stoddart play for the rest of the year as I think he could be an absolute gun!

Veterans List
    I think Stoddart has the makings of a very good, quick midfielder. Problem is he has missed a fair bit of footy so his fitness levels are likely well down. I can see him being a fast improver next year, but please don't try to make him a run off half back flanker.

I also loved Dawson and his goal last night, didn't think, backed his skill and kick from outside 50. Hopefully he has shrugged off his injury concerns and gets a run at it for the next couple of years as he is just what we needs, big bodied and skilled. Still think we have a heap of positives from the year but am worried about the middle as not sure Kizza can get it done moving forward. Hanners could be the recruit of the year if they cotton wool him for the rest of this year along with Reid, Melican and Bud. Imagine what we would look like with these four fit?!?!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Etc?
    Etc?

Great post but the last sentence poses the question.....is it actually being looked at 'professionally' or just from within? I know we fans are not part of the system but sometimes outsiders see things insiders don't see or just refuse to acknowledge.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast