Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Longmire cooked?

Back to game plans
    I have had a crack at Horses lack of Plan B but its more of a case of which Plan A he is going to go with

Go back a few weeks and everything was long down the line
    Last weeks game was the most i have ever seen us switch and cut a team to ribbons thru the middle
    I know the ground size, opposition is a factor but its a small factor

Short kicks, small hit ups, switches running to open space , waiting for an option we have NEVER done it like we did it last week

I for one prefer Buddy running up the ground too, there us just so much more space when he runs to the wings

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Back to game plans
    I have had a crack at Horses lack of Plan B but its more of a case of which Plan A he is going to go with

Last weeks game was the most i have ever seen us switch and cut a team to ribbons thru the middle

Short kicks, small hit ups, switches running to open space , waiting for an option we have NEVER done it like we did it last week

I for one prefer Buddy running up the ground too, there us just so much more space when he runs to the wings
    Most teams defend the centre corridor. Dees don't so we went there. No point trying to spot up a player in the centre if there's opposition all around him.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Back to game plans

I found this a very interesting article on Clarkson's recent tactics. In this article, the tactics of slowing it down, not playing on, and avoiding the corridor are commended. It just goes to show that every strategy (fast or slow) is brilliant when it results in a win.

Whatever your thoughts on Horse's game-day tactics, gameplan etc, one thing he does is get the team playing with intensity and consistent effort. Unlike Port under Hinkley for example.

Veterans List
    Cooked! He's on fire.

The commentators were praising Horse on the weekend. Great coaching etc with the 6-6-6 plan he used.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Whatever your thoughts on Horse's game-day tactics, gameplan etc, one thing he does is get the team playing with intensity and consistent effort. Unlike Port under Hinkley for example.
    Except when we played the Suns and Bombers (and maybe the second game against the Cats). The intensity and effort was pretty poor in those games, especially in the second halves.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Except when we played the Suns and Bombers (and maybe the second game against the Cats). The intensity and effort was pretty poor in those games, especially in the second halves.
    So is it coincidence that in the Geelong game we lost 3 senior players (whom were also supposedly “cooked”) and we were without them for the other 2 games mentioned ?

I love watching the kids play, but I’m nervous about how we will manage the next transition as a few retirements are imminent & key players yet to sign contracts.

I think it wasn’t the only reason but it was a major factor. I’m concerned about the age profile of the team if we trade Hanners and others retire. Clarko reckoned that old Burgoyne saved Hawthorn v the Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I love watching the kids play, but I’m nervous about how we will manage the next transition as a few retirements are imminent & key players yet to sign contracts.
    We are in the next transition now and so far so good. We could be entering an important post-season in solidifying the transition. A lot will depend on what transpires with Hannebery, which in turn may have a flow on effect on our activity in the FA market. If we can get 2 1st round picks and pick up a free agent, like Dahlhaus or even Mitch Wallis, it would make 7 consecutive years of good post-season list enhancement.

We actually don't have any imminent retirements, and if McVeigh and/or Reg retire, it will probably be forced. It's more like a retirement trickle compared to the number of players coming in the door. Lloyd may be holding out to see if there's money left in the kitty after whatever we do on the trading front this year, but he's the only remaining important unsigned player.

The subject of rebuild time in Ross Lyon's testy post match media conference was interesting. Ross thinks 2 or 3 years in the wilderness is not enough and quick rebuilds can't be done. Rebuilds need 5 or 6 years. What about the Swans, Geelong and Hawthorn? In the end, there needs to be a good flow of new talent coming through year after year. A bit of a gap can mean tumbling down the table. The 2005-2007 dry period in the draft is affecting us now, but to our credit we've managed to stay competitive without have all the pieces in place. We are putting ourselves in a good position to challenge for a title year after year. It takes a bit of luck to make it happen.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I remember, in the late 90s, starting to worry about Plugger's retirement and how the team would cope. Then it was Kelly, then Schwass and Cressa, then Williams. By this stage I'd started to realise that the team found a way to move on but it didn't stop me worrying about life after Goodesy. Except that by the time he was ready to go, Buddy had well and truly settled into the team.

I've learned just to enjoy the present and let the club worry about the next stream of leaders and star players. We can't expect to remain in the top 8 forever but the current administration seems to have a good handle on how to regenerate while remaining competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    …We can't expect to remain in the top 8 forever…

But I’ve grown used to it.

& watching Buddy play.

We’ve been spoilt.