Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Is Longmire cooked?

The most effective pressure is scoreboard pressure. Having a game plan that doesn't help you to score freely is counter productive. I hope Horse changes it next year.

I find it strange that yet again we lost at home. It seems weird to me that away teams play the ground better than we do. I think this is the real issue with the game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    I find it strange that yet again we lost at home. It seems weird to me that away teams play the ground better than we do. I think this is the real issue with the game plan.
    We play poorly at home I feel because our ability to execute on a more congested ground a successful game plan (noting its not really that much more congested than other grounds) seems to have fallen away substantially. Possibly because our overall midfield group isn't once what it was, and isn't able to lock down the game as much as it once could, and use that as a mechanism to wrestle back control.

The GWS was a perfect example - a Swans team of 3, even 4 years ago, when GWS got 3 or 4 goals up, would of most likely looked to really shut the game drown, turn it into a massive 1 on 1 battle in the midfield, full of stoppages, as a way to wrestle momentum and find a way into the game. We used to be masters at that style of tactic - but we are not anymore. Add to that the fact we just weren't a heavily scoring team this season, and it meant in games we weren't well in control of for most of the time, we struggled big time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We play poorly at home I feel because our ability to execute on a more congested ground a successful game plan (noting its not really that much more congested than other grounds) seems to have fallen away substantially. Possibly because our overall midfield group isn't once what it was, and isn't able to lock down the game as much as it once could, and use that as a mechanism to wrestle back control.

The GWS was a perfect example - a Swans team of 3, even 4 years ago, when GWS got 3 or 4 goals up, would of most likely looked to really shut the game drown, turn it into a massive 1 on 1 battle in the midfield, full of stoppages, as a way to wrestle momentum and find a way into the game. We used to be masters at that style of tactic - but we are not anymore. Add to that the fact we just weren't a heavily scoring team this season, and it meant in games we weren't well in control of for most of the time, we struggled big time.
    +1 our form at home reflects the decline of our inside game

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post

And IMO the head coach need to change his tactics and evolve with a new group...Or go the way of these others.
    Slightly off topic, but on AFL360 tonight Dunstall & Brereton had an intense discussion about Longmire's game plan. No secret Brereton has long been critical of Longmire's game plan particularly how it doesn't suit Buddy against good teams. Dunstall was in strong disagreement with Brereton, making the point the Swans would have not made top four & play in 2 GF's without Buddy. He was also strong against the notion the Swans need to win a premiership to justify his signing. Dunstall thought Brereton was too harsh on the Swans/Longmire game plan, adding all teams review their game plans each year & make necessary adjustments which the Swans were forced to with their injuries & playing their young batch.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Slightly off topic, but on AFL360 tonight Dunstall & Brereton had an intense discussion about Longmire's game plan. No secret Brereton has long been critical of Longmire's game plan particularly how it doesn't suit Buddy against good teams. Dunstall was in strong disagreement with Brereton, making the point the Swans would have not made top four & play in 2 GF's without Buddy. He was also strong against the notion the Swans need to win a premiership to justify his signing. Dunstall thought Brereton was too harsh on the Swans/Longmire game plan, adding all teams review their game plans each year & make necessary adjustments which the Swans were forced to with their injuries & playing their young batch.
    Interesting and odd considering how biased Dumstall sounds when he commentates our games :

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Interesting and odd considering how biased Dumstall sounds when he commentates our games :
    I think everyone sounds biased when commentating our games.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Apart from Brereton, Mark Robinson is very harsh on his criticism of the Franklin deal insisting that it has a been a failure because they haven't won a premiership with him. Buddy has been an absolute success and when they win a premiership with him it would be a real bonus. As has been well discussed the 2016 grand final was stolen from the Swans, but alas history can't be changed.

Veterans List
    I read that next season runners will only be allowed to relay messages after a goal. So Longmire better make sure we start kicking more goals 😉.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I read that next season runners will only be allowed to relay messages after a goal. So Longmire better make sure we start kicking more goals 😉.
    They can also be used when the opposition kicks one! Make sure they are limited!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    They can also be used when the opposition kicks one! Make sure they are limited!
    Wouldn’t that be a great incentive for coaches to play an offensive style - you only get to send a message if your team scores.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Discuss
    I think his time is up - too many teams have gone past us and frankly too many coaches getting the better of Longmire too - our game plan has not evolved enough and we simply have not delivered enough for the quality of list we have had last 5 or 6 years - losing Mitchell and Nankervis has killed us too