Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Longmire cooked?

On the veteran's list
    Roosy stating on OTC tonight that Longmire is the best coach in the league for taking away the opposition's strengths and this is why the Swans are always up near the top.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Roosy stating on OTC tonight that Longmire is the best coach in the league for taking away the opposition's strengths and this is why the Swans are always up near the top.
    What examples did he give?

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    He’s never shown much ability to take away Alistair Clarkson / Hawthorns strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    He’s never shown much ability to take away Alistair Clarkson / Hawthorns strength.
    Oh, I dunno, he seemed to do ok in round 8

Without Buddy.
    But he did have Benny.

Veterans List
    He did say that Clarkson was the other coach with the same skill.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Oh, I dunno, he seemed to do ok in round 8
    It was a rare win over Clarko. Remembering last year when the Hawks were struggling but beat us twice and Clarko out coached Longmire.

Senior Player
    I really like John as a person and think he's an excellent coach, but he doesn't have a great record against Clarkson: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...n-longmire--81.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Back to game plans
    I have had a crack at Horses lack of Plan B but its more of a case of which Plan A he is going to go with

Go back a few weeks and everything was long down the line
    Last weeks game was the most i have ever seen us switch and cut a team to ribbons thru the middle
    I know the ground size, opposition is a factor but its a small factor

Short kicks, small hit ups, switches running to open space , waiting for an option we have NEVER done it like we did it last week

I for one prefer Buddy running up the ground too, there us just so much more space when he runs to the wings
    I think Allir has added to the run from the backline. He has been very good at getting on his own as has HC. This opens up so many more options into the forward line. I am sure sides have to switch up how they play depending on personnel at hand. Smith out means we lose the human glove but also opens up the possibility of another running player. I don't subscribe to the Plan B, C, D theory any longer.

Still shocked that Allir came back into the side and played as well as he was, better in fact, than he was before he was injured/omitted/disciplined.
    It's like he was chained for all that time.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Veteran Site Admin
    It was a rare win over Clarko. Remembering last year when the Hawks were struggling but beat us twice and Clarko out coached Longmire.
    Not sure what you mean by "outcoached" other than the fact the Hawks won both games.

- the Hawks often (though maybe a little less than during their recent heyday) play a possession style, maintaining control of the ball with short kicks. It's a difficult style to play because you need almost all your team to have very reliable kicking skills. However, it's also hard for the opposition to break up because the ball isn't in dispute for much of the time.
    - despite the Hawks using this approach against us in both games, by the end of the game the Swans had found ways to force them into errors, and prevent the short leads. So much so that the scores were almost level. Indeed, we lost both games by a goal.
    - in the first of the two games, we were a man down (Lloyd) by midway through the first quarter, and a second man down (Reid) before half-time. Both were lost to concussions. I think we "had" the Hawks in the first game - we got ahead on the scoreboard and had the ball in our forward line for most of that final quarter. We just couldn't find a way to score that one goal that would have put the contest to bed. And then the Hawks finally managed to get the ball out of defence and our guys were too tired to give chase. I remember poor Towers - who is decently paced - looking like he was running on the spot trying to chase an opponent.
    - in the second game, we didn't lose anyone during the game, so didn't have the same reduced bench, but we did lose Lloyd just before the game and then Rohan in the warm-up. So we had two very late replacements who came in. Still, though we lost, it was a very small margin.

I don't think either instance was a case of outcoaching. It just takes a bit of time and a lot of hard work to break down the possession game, even when you know going into the game that's what you will be facing (as our coaches would have known).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "outcoached" other than the fact the Hawks won both games.

- the Hawks often (though maybe a little less than during their recent heyday) play a possession style, maintaining control of the ball with short kicks. It's a difficult style to play because you need almost all your team to have very reliable kicking skills. However, it's also hard for the opposition to break up because the ball isn't in dispute for much of the time.
    - despite the Hawks using this approach against us in both games, by the end of the game the Swans had found ways to force them into errors, and prevent the short leads. So much so that the scores were almost level. Indeed, we lost both games by a goal.
    - in the first of the two games, we were a man down (Lloyd) by midway through the first quarter, and a second man down (Reid) before half-time. Both were lost to concussions. I think we "had" the Hawks in the first game - we got ahead on the scoreboard and had the ball in our forward line for most of that final quarter. We just couldn't find a way to score that one goal that would have put the contest to bed. And then the Hawks finally managed to get the ball out of defence and our guys were too tired to give chase. I remember poor Towers - who is decently paced - looking like he was running on the spot trying to chase an opponent.
    - in the second game, we didn't lose anyone during the game, so didn't have the same reduced bench, but we did lose Lloyd just before the game and then Rohan in the warm-up. So we had two very late replacements who came in. Still, though we lost, it was a very small margin.

I don't think either instance was a case of outcoaching. It just takes a bit of time and a lot of hard work to break down the possession game, even when you know going into the game that's what you will be facing (as our coaches would have known).
    Why didn't we apply those lessons from the start?