Thread: 1973 training footage of South players

1973 training footage of South players

Found this 1973 VFL training doco on YouTube, introducing people to the rules & skills of the game. It mainly focuses on the 1972 GF between Carlton & Richmond (highest scoring GF ever - 50 goals), but between 15:45 - 16:45 you'll see colour footage of South players Russell Cook (17) & Peter Bedford (11) demonstrating marking and baulking respectively.

Introducing Australian Football. A 1973 Documentary. - YouTube

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    A wonderful step back in time! Thanks for posting KSAS!
    Russell Cook was one of my favourites because, like my father, he was a policeman.

You're welcome Sandridge. Russell Cook was a bit undersized for a ruckman, but had a great leap & overhead mark. Bedford was my boyhood hero who I immortalised growing up.
    Last edited by KSAS; 28th July 2018 at 04:44 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    You're welcome Sandridge. Russell Cook was a bit undersized for a ruckman, but had a great leap & overhead mark. Bedford was my boyhood hero who I immortalised growing up.
    Both Cook and Bedford played cricket for Victoria as well. Cook was a fast bowler for South and Wheels was a batsman and leg spin bowler who played for Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Both Cook and Bedford played cricket for Victoria as well. Cook was a fast bowler for South and Wheels was a batsman and leg spin bowler who played for Melbourne.
    Thanks for that info Blood Fever. Didn't know Cook played cricket for South & Victoria. Multi talented team back then (at a time when players were able to play other sports in the off season).

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    A wonderful step back in time! Thanks for posting KSAS!
    Russell Cook was one of my favourites because, like my father, he was a policeman.
    I forgot to mention one of my nephews graduated from the Police Academy few months ago, who is also a die hard Swans supporter (my influence hehe).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Thanks for that info Blood Fever. Didn't know Cook played cricket for South & Victoria. Multi talented team back then (at a time when players were able to play other sports in the off season).
    No drama KSAS - Bobby Skilton was a very promising cricketer as well. Played a couple of games in the ones at Melbourne before footy took over completely. Think he played as a teenager.

Veterans List
    Little known fact: Russell Cook's feet were that big that his boots were specially made.