Thread: The Greatest Season That Was: '93

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

The Greatest Season That Was: '93

The Greatest Season That Was: 93 clips - Omny.fm

A podcast that released their first episode a few weeks ago. The premise of the show is that the 3 hosts contend that 1993 was the greatest AFL season ever, and they cover different aspects of the season in each episode with in-depth interviews with players, coaches, administrators etc that were intimately involved at the time. The first episode was a general explanation of why they thought '93 was their best season, but in the subsequent episodes they've focused on one club.

Episode 4 focuses on the Swans, and while I haven't caught up to that episode yet, the summary says they talk to Ron Joseph and how he lured Barassi out of retirement to save the Swans. Should be very interesting to Swans fans.

The other episodes are also worth a listen and you (well I did anyway) pick up little tidbits of information along the way. For example, I was shocked to learn thatWayne Schimmelbusch, the predecessor of Denis Pagan as coach of the Kangaroos, had a full time job and was coaching North Melbourne out of normal working hours. He was the last of the part-time AFL senior coaches and was sacked after a heavy loss in the '93 pre-season.

For those who frequent espncricinfo - Dan Brettig is one of the contributors.

Interesting concept.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The Greatest Season That Was: 93 clips - Omny.fm

A podcast that released their first episode a few weeks ago. The premise of the show is that the 3 hosts contend that 1993 was the greatest AFL season ever, and they cover different aspects of the season in each episode with in-depth interviews with players, coaches, administrators etc that were intimately involved at the time. The first episode was a general explanation of why they thought '93 was their best season, but in the subsequent episodes they've focused on one club.

Episode 4 focuses on the Swans, and while I haven't caught up to that episode yet, the summary says they talk to Ron Joseph and how he lured Barassi out of retirement to save the Swans. Should be very interesting to Swans fans.

The other episodes are also worth a listen and you (well I did anyway) pick up little tidbits of information along the way. For example, I was shocked to learn thatWayne Schimmelbusch, the predecessor of Denis Pagan as coach of the Kangaroos, had a full time job and was coaching North Melbourne out of normal working hours. He was the last of the part-time AFL senior coaches and was sacked after a heavy loss in the '93 pre-season.
    I've been following this podcast, it is really interesting. Ron Joseph gives a LOT of credit to Richard Colless, definitely worth listening to the whole series - there were a fair number of clubs gaming the drafting rules.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Oh yes listening to Greg Miller talk about the ways North pinched players that should have been in the draft zone of other clubs was very eye opening, and he justified it by saying other clubs probably stole players from North’s zone.

Senior Player
    Listened to the Swans episode today. Very interesting stuff. Made me realise, as a relative "newcomer", just how dire the situation was in the early 90s. Sounds like the league admins more or less dumped the team in Sydney and forgot about them for 10 years.