Thread: Bob Skilton statue unveiled

Bob Skilton statue unveiled

Even though we're already aware of this, thought it was still worth posting as the unveiling occurred whilst this site was down.

Bobby looks great in this photo. I'm so proud that the club's South Melbourne roots has been further enshrined with this unveiling taking place at Bobby's spiritual home. So chuffed that the club's Melbourne office & the Bob Skilton statue are now residing at the old Lakeside Oval.

Bob Skilton stands proud at Lakeside Stadium
    Bob Skilton stands proud at Lakeside Stadium - sydneyswans.com.au

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Even though we're already aware of this, thought it was still worth posting as the unveiling occurred whilst this site was down.

Bobby looks great in this photo. I'm so proud that the club's South Melbourne roots has been further enshrined with this unveiling taking place at Bobby's spiritual home. So chuffed that the club's Melbourne office & the Bob Skilton statue are now residing at the old Lakeside Oval.

Bob Skilton stands proud at Lakeside Stadium
    Bob Skilton stands proud at Lakeside Stadium - sydneyswans.com.au

Went and had a look at it over the weekend. Great statue, great plaque. Just outside where the bowling green used to be KSAS

Veterans List
    My dad went as he knows Bobby and he has been following the swans since 1945. There were a number of other original South Melbourne supporters there and some had come from the country.

The swans didn't organise the unveiling very well. It was invitation only when it should have also been open to those long time supporters. I understand that there would have been restrictions on the numbers but surely they could have had people book a place. Also a couple of the swans staff were rude to my dad. He came home very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Went and had a look at it over the weekend. Great statue, great plaque. Just outside where the bowling green used to be KSAS
    I was passing through the South Mellbourne today & dropped in to have a look. It is a great statue & plaque. Took some pics and as I was leaving noticed couple more supporters doing the same.

Mike Sheehan remarked on the radio that he was at the unveiling and thought it was a great statue. His view was that he felt it should be located at the MCG because more people would see it there. He could understand the obvious link to the Lakeside Oval but how many will see it in that location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    My dad went as he knows Bobby and he has been following the swans since 1945. There were a number of other original South Melbourne supporters there and some had come from the country.

The swans didn't organise the unveiling very well. It was invitation only when it should have also been open to those long time supporters. I understand that there would have been restrictions on the numbers but surely they could have had people book a place. Also a couple of the swans staff were rude to my dad. He came home very disappointed.
    Saddens me your dad didn't get to enjoy the experience he deserved. Gives me impression the club may've understated just how much Bobby STILL means to all the old South supporters who grew up watching him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Mike Sheehan remarked on the radio that he was at the unveiling and thought it was a great statue. His view was that he felt it should be located at the MCG because more people would see it there. He could understand the obvious link to the Lakeside Oval but how many will see it in that location?

Personally i don't think it's important how many get to see Bobby's statue (if located at MCG it would be just one of many, where Bobby only played a handful of games) but by whom. Being soley located at the old Lake Oval certainly gives it special significance to old South supporters like it did to me today. It also provides another club presence at this venue to keep everyone reminded who were the orginal custodians for 100 years. Don't forget the club did intervene in preventing the grand stand from being torn down.
    Last edited by KSAS; 2nd August 2018 at 01:44 AM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post

I think I read that the Swans enquired about erecting it in the MCG precinct but were told that Bobby didn't play enough games there to warrant it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think I read that the Swans enquired about erecting it in the MCG precinct but were told that Bobby didn't play enough games there to warrant it.
    Yes that's exactly the reason given why it couldn't be erected at the MCG. What a joke. He is a Triple Brownlow medallist!!

When I read it I joked that Rod Laver and Margaret Court couldn't have arenas named after them because they never played at Melbourne Park 😉.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    IE: Reserved for 'current' Victorian teams only obviously.....just shows where this leagues priorities lay. They force higher ranked interstate teams to play lower ranked Victorian teams in the GF there but we're not good enough to be immortalised there......

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Yes that's exactly the reason given why it couldn't be erected at the MCG. What a joke. He is a Triple Brownlow medallist!!

When I read it I joked that Rod Laver and Margaret Court couldn't have arenas named after them because they never played at Melbourne Park 😉.
    Seems an absolute cop out to me. The MCG is the home of footy - whether Skilts played there much or is utterly irrelevant.

Must be saving space for a 'fairypuppies premiership' statue at the MCG then....
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."