Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 20 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    And he was one of the front runners for the Brownlow. I wonder if any potential suitor might think twice about paying him $1m plus a year. Young Brayshaw's jaw is broken, allegedly.
    That is on par with Barry Hall's hit for me. Disgusting. I think if the AFL are going to bring in changes, I would two alterations in this area. Firstly a red card would be appropriate. Immediate send off with no return or substitute. The Eagles should field a team which is one short for the remainder of the match. Secondly, Gaff should not be allowed to play another senior game until Brayshaw is back. The suspension should equal the damage done to the opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    That is on par with Barry Hall's hit for me. Disgusting. I think if the AFL are going to bring in changes, I would two alterations in this area. Firstly a red card would be appropriate. Immediate send off with no return or substitute. The Eagles should field a team which is one short for the remainder of the match. Secondly, Gaff should not be allowed to play another senior game until Brayshaw is back. The suspension should equal the damage done to the opposition.
    I think Brayshaw should bring GBH charges against him.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Just saw the Gaff incident...he is in a world of trouble. Won't be surprised if he's gone for the season. Pretty dumb when your team is a good chance for finals.
    Wonder what incited the incident?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Just saw the Gaff incident...
    I wish I had not rewatched it several times, but can at least confirm that it looks worse with repeated viewing. They should throw the book at him and rightly so.

I don't make it quite as bad as Barry Hall's. Gaff and Brayshaw were at least looking and pushing at each other when Gaff lashed out. It is still completely unacceptable on the field though, and I can't see how he would get any less than 6 weeks.

The red card/black card question is a very interesting one. How likely is it that it will go horribly wrong and someone will be issued with their marching orders for something innocuous? How much of a penalty is it to be playing a man down? (Clearly not so bad if you're playing Carlton, but I mean against a decent team). How much of a deterrent is it to be down a rotation?

Not sure what the answer is, but I have every confidence that the AFL will have some stupid idea as an answer, stuff up the implementation and then claim all the decisions are right.

If Tom Mitchell didn't have the Brownlow stitched up before he sure does now, (although I don't think he deserves it after he got off when he was reported).
    Highly unusual for Gaff as I don't think that is in his nature.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Highly unusual for Gaff as I don't think that is in his nature.
    I've been hearing this a lot, and for all I know it's true.

It's a very interesting comment though, and I think it reflects a fundamental cultural issue in the AFL. What it says to me is that the AFL is a culture where swinging an arm and striking someone is, at some level, considered to be a valid expression of one's emotions. This wasn't the act of some thug who just wanted to hurt someone. It was the act of someone who was frustrated or annoyed and snapped and without thinking fell into a common expression of that - having a swing.

I think the AFL recognises this, and that's why it's cracking down on jumper punches etc. It wants to create an environment where it's just unthinkable to strike another player.

You might say that you can never control what players will do in anger on the spur of the moment, but you might be surprised how much is cultural. There was a great piece of research that looked at people with psychosis and what the hallucinatory voices they heard told them. Interestingly, the American subjects heard voices that encouraged them to violent actions while Indian people heard voices that gave them advice, or told them to do common jobs. Subjects from Ghana had a difference experience again (but mostly positive).

So, I think the AFL can change the culture to one where even where a player snaps, they don't injure someone else.

There was a suggestion that it was a badly executed attempt at a jumper punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I don't make it quite as bad as Barry Hall's. Gaff and Brayshaw were at least looking and pushing at each other when Gaff lashed out. It is still completely unacceptable on the field though, and I can't see how he would get any less than 6 weeks.

The red card/black card question is a very interesting one. How likely is it that it will go horribly wrong and someone will be issued with their marching orders for something innocuous? How much of a penalty is it to be playing a man down? (Clearly not so bad if you're playing Carlton, but I mean against a decent team). How much of a deterrent is it to be down a rotation?

Not sure what the answer is, but I have every confidence that the AFL will have some stupid idea as an answer, stuff up the implementation and then claim all the decisions are right.
    Red card is the answer but place the bar high. It can't be issued by an on field umpire without thorough review and has to be conclusive like the Hall / Cameron / Bugg / Gaff incidents with a demonstrated serious, match ending injury to the opposition player. It is not fair that the team, which is the victim of such a vile action, is forced to play one short. People talk about these decisions deciding a grand final but what about foul play deciding a grand final? Imagine if we make the big dance and Rance (or some knob of his ilk) king hits buddy and takes him out of the game?

Regarding some calls for GBH charges to be laid on Gaff, I wouldn't be averse to that either. He punched him in the head 100m off the play - thats assault. One can't even argue it was a contest for the ball like Cameron v Andrews.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There was a suggestion that it was a badly executed attempt at a jumper punch.
    Jumper punches have been banned in the AFL and would constitute assault anywhere else in the community.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    What annoys me about these incidents is media calling them "brain fades" or "brain snaps" as it kinda takes away the ownership of the incident. Not "I got annoyed/angry and decided to lash out".
    How about "act of aggression/violence/thuggery" or even cowardice (punching someone in the face when they aren't expecting it)?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I was at the game where Hall hit Staker. Staker had been all over Hall (beyond the laws of the game, but within what is accepted) for a long time with no protection from the umpires, both when the ball was in play and when it wasn't. I could understand why Hall lost the plot. I'm not excusing it, but I can understand it.

In this case I haven't seen the same context, maybe it exists. Staker played a couple of weeks later (and fairly soon afterwards did go on to hit someone himself and get suspended IIRC, probably indicating that he learnt the wrong lesson from the incident). There is no way that Brayshaw will be playing in a few weeks.

Red card needed, I agree.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    What annoys me about these incidents is media calling them "brain fades" or "brain snaps" as it kinda takes away the ownership of the incident. Not "I got annoyed/angry and decided to lash out".
    How about "act of aggression/violence/thuggery" or even cowardice (punching someone in the face when they aren't expecting it)?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast