Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: #AFL Round 20 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Strange comment for Eddie to come out with. I'd be less surprised if certain other players made comments like this, but Betts has never seemed to be the kind of player who relies on these kinds of tactics.

If one accepts that Gaff "isn't the kind of bloke who'd do this" (which seems to be the widely accepted view), surely every player in the competition who likes to get in a little hook now and again should realise that this could so easily have been him.

Him who gets to sit out a finals series, and maybe a grand final. Or has maybe cost his team the chance to play in a grand final.

Him who has to live with the knowledge that they've seriously injured an opposition colleague in a completely unnecessary incident.

Him who, regardless of any goodwill toward him, has lost the benefit of the doubt if they are involved in any future off-the-ball incident, even one with less severe consequences.
    I was looking at it in terms of legal ramifications. If the best small forward in the AFL says punching (off-the-ball) is part of the game, then no one could argue in court that punching your opponent off the ball is not. He even provides a defence for Gaff - that he never intended to hit Brayshaw in the head, it was a "normal" behind play punch gone wrong.

You are right that other players take this sort of risk when they hit with a clenched fist. I'd like to see any contact with a clenched fist off-the-ball banned. It would save other players from having to put themselves in Gaff's place and also mean the next Gaff couldn't argue that it's part of the game.

To give one example, the Swans and many other teams have used physical tactics of having the whole team taking every opportunity to push, shove, hit, bump, knock down and generally harass a player like Jason Johannisen to put him off his game. And it's generally effective as just fending off this ganging up tactic will tire out any player. I suppose it's part of the game, but an ugly and counterproductive part of the game, which is diametrically opposed to everything the AFL says it is trying to do to make the game a faster, more open and entertaining game.

If the AFL would simply let players, like Johannisen, just play his game, they wouldn't have to worry about changing the rules with starting positions and 18 metre goal squares to open up the game. What's wrong with just trying to stop a player from getting the ball, and if he gets it, what's wrong with tackling him, if you can?

The basic game is great. It's all the other crap that diminishes the spectacle. The players now are quicker, fitter and more skilled than ever. I'd like to see them express their natural talents and athleticism to the fullest extent.

Fox Footy are giving the female presenters a reasonable go: Kelli Underwood, Sarah Jones, Katelyn Barry, Neroli Meadows, Anna Harrington, Daisy Pearce, Sarah Olle etc

Probably missed some.

Not as many as the guys , but they are all excellent notwithstanding good looks seems to be a prerequisite unlike the men (Robbo).

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Fox Footy are giving the female presenters a reasonable go: Kelli Underwood, Sarah Jones, Katelyn Barry, Neroli Meadows, Anna Harrington, Daisy Pearce, Sarah Olle etc

Probably missed some.

Not as many as the guys , but they are all excellent notwithstanding good looks seems to be a prerequisite unlike the men (Robbo).
    It may come as a surprise to some but these ladies sure know the game and I am glad to see that they are utilized in the men's game and not only the women's.
    Probably should be in GENERAL FOOTY discussion but great to see female umpires as well.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910