Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: #AFL Rd 20 Swans v Collingwood, SCG, Sat 4 Aug 7:25pm @SydneySwans #AFLSwansPies

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    A freudian slip no doubt, but it was definitely there!
    Freudian?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Kennedy and Hayward are in trouble for sling tackles. Hayward's was particularly bad and I expect him to get 2 weeks. So unnecessary as he would have got a free for HTB..
    Not even mentioned as "looked at", nor was Chris Mayne's hit on Kennedy. I'm ok with that.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Freudian?

A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of an unconscious subdued wish or internal train of thought.

Freudian slip - Wikipedia
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I'll be honest: I thought this place might be a bit cheerier!

I really enjoyed the game.

- Big crowd, lots of noise
    - 6 Buddy goals, including some crackers like the one near the boundary deep in the left pocket, or the "collect, spin 180, skid through goals" for number 3
    - AJ's return, obviously
    - McMartin's winner
    - McVeigh made a difference and looked none the worse for the recent injury
    - Another good outing for Allir, and I though Dawson went well too

I saw it as: even in the first, poor in the second, very good in the third. Not quite far enough ahead to ice it and to the Pies credit, they came back hard. We hung in there, didn't panic, thrilling win.

Sure, it wasn't always a great spectacle. We may be finals also-rans, or even not at all. The Pies were undermanned, but still fielded plenty of talent. And I know we are all still stinging from that Suns loss.

But maybe we just need to celebrate the win.
    Good post, Neil. I agree with everything you say.

But yes, my joy was tempered. I think by the feeling that it was not a win with sustainable foundations. Buddy stormed it - kicked 6, 2 assists - against non-existent opposition. That aside, Dawson kicked two and McCartin snagged one. Sinclair was smashed in the ruck and really our mids did well to spilt the clearance count. Our defenders are looking a little shaky and we are reliant on Aliir to dominate in the air. Our young quick players continue to provide limited output.

Hopefully this win helps pick the confidence up and we can move the ball a little more quickly this weekend. Buddy doesn't have a formidable opponent this week either, so it we spilt the inside 50 count again, we are in with a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Naismith, Tippett, Reid, Grundy, Melican, - that's an entiere spine...Hannebery, Mills, Jones and Rohan plus we have had Buddy on one foot most of the year and McVeigh and Jack missing large chunks of the year. So all in all I'd say that our outs at least match theirs.
    It's also more than five. We were in a similar position to Collingwood as far as I'm concerned.

Warming the Bench
    Basically watched the full game for the first time yesterday
    Only saw the last quarter live

Hewett was brilliant.
    I'm hoping that he continues to play a more expansive game like this for the rest of the year.
    He went forward rather than back for the most part.
    His repeated leads down the wing, gave us an out and opened up the field
    Rinsed Pendles as well won a heap of clearances.

Win still papered over the cracks that we know but i can deal with that haha

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    Basically watched the full game for the first time yesterday
    Only saw the last quarter live

Hewett was brilliant.
    I'm hoping that he continues to play a more expansive game like this for the rest of the year.
    He went forward rather than back for the most part.
    His repeated leads down the wing, gave us an out and opened up the field
    Rinsed Pendles as well won a heap of clearances.

Win still papered over the cracks that we know but i can deal with that haha
    That’s fascinating. I’ve always thought that hewett reminded me of Pendlebury and he certainly did do a good job on Saturday. I have been a bit disappointed that hewett hasn’t progressed as much as I expected but then I remembered he is still only 22 same age as heeney. Wasn’t he the youngest draftee of his year. Like McCartin this year ?

One thing the Pies did most of the game which I’m always staggered more teams don’t implement is having a man on the goal line in defence - gee it stops a lot of goals and scores.

The one time they failed to do it was in the final mins when Tom scrubbered truly from a Horizontal position.

Thank goodness .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    One thing the Pies did most of the game which I’m always staggered more teams don’t implement is having a man on the goal line in defence - gee it stops a lot of goals and scores.

The one time they failed to do it was in the final mins when Tom scrubbered truly from a Horizontal position.

Thank goodness .
    Rampe normally is "goal keeper"...except it didn't work out too well in the Essendon game 😞.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718