Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 21 Demons v Swans

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The coaches won’t.
    And I wonder why that is.
    Most players traditionally come back through the seconds to get some match fitness etc.
    Almost a disservice to Hanners to bring him back straight into the side where he may not perform as everyone expects.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Bob Skilton once said of Paul Kelly, "He plays as I would like my son to play." Imagine that on your CV.
    A few years ago at the BnF, Skilts and Kels were on the same table next to each other.
    Took me FOREVER to get them to stop gabbing so I could get hugs.
    The mutual respect between the two of them is beautiful.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Some suggestions Max Gawn is carrying an injury. Gawn late to training, only walks laps - AFL.com.au

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Saw a bloke featured on our website in the "best 5 series" who could do wonders for our centre clearance work
    We could sure use a guy who can burst away from the stoppages like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    We could sure use a guy who can burst away from the stoppages like that.
    Jones?
    Ronke?
    Paps?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Jones?
    Ronke?
    Paps?
    Kieran Jack provided a little of it when he was at his peak. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ronke develop into a similar kind of role in the forthcoming years. The club compared him to Jack shortly after drafting him and there are similarities. He's shown decent hardball winning ability in his short time in the game, though we don't yet know if this can translate into centre clearance type work. He's probably a better overhead mark than Jack (helped by being a little taller) and maybe a better kick too, certainly better at the same age.

I sometimes look at our young, developing players and daydream about a current day star that they might one day emulate, based on their package of attributes. I don't have models for all of them, but some are:

Ronke - Robbie Gray, able to switch between the midfield and forward line, depending on where he's most needed, with a real goal sense but able to win his own ground ball too (maybe without the same smoothness of movement)
    Florent - Shaun Higgins, providing class through traffic (without being a real get-down-and-dirty ball winner) and on the outside. Evasive and quickish, though not express.
    Mills - Luke Hodge, starting out as a defender, moving into the midfield in his middle career and being a genuinely tough player without being a clearance machine, and then possibly returning as the general of the defence in his twilight years
    Dawson - Jack Gunston, as a strong mark, accurate and long kick, able to play defence, wing or as a genuine third forward. Not ultra fast but a good reader of the play.

I realise most of them won't get to be quite as good as these models, but if they even get close, they'll be exciting to watch.

Sadly I don't look at any of our current crop and think "Buddy"! (Except for Buddy, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Sadly I don't look at any of our current crop and think "Buddy"! (Except for Buddy, of course.)
    There's only one Buddy Franklin!

Buddy is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    Bob Skilton once said of Paul Kelly, "He plays as I would like my son to play." Imagine that on your CV.
    Would look great on anyone's CV. Except for the CV of Bob Skilton's son.

After watching the the NEAFL and our bottom 6 players last week, I’m more than happy to have Hanners come straight back in. Even at his 2018 averages he’d be in our top dozen players. Plus I’m pretty sure he was named in our bests in the NEAFL last week as runner.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    After watching the the NEAFL and our bottom 6 players last week, I’m more than happy to have Hanners come straight back in. Even at his 2018 averages he’d be in our top dozen players. Plus I’m pretty sure he was named in our bests in the NEAFL last week as runner.
    That’s a fair point, I guess that’s how he’s assessed by the Aints.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    In: Cameron Hannebery Rohan Towers

Ext bench: Hannebery Dawson Robinson Newman Papley Cameron Rohan Towers

In: Hannan Hunt Kent Pedersen Weideman
    Out: Smith

Ext bench: Kennedy-Harris Weideman Hannan Vince Pedersen Hunt Kent Neal-Bullen
    Last edited by ugg; 9th August 2018 at 07:24 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast