Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 21 Weekly Discussion Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Ludwig I'm at the game and there is some push and shove but mostly with Ablett.

And typical feral hawks supporters they are booing Ablett every time he gets the ball.
    The ABC Grandstand team were calling it "Boorish". It certainly was......

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    The ABC Grandstand team were calling it "Boorish". It certainly was......
    Very ordinary supporters. Before their recent dominance, they were renowned for leaving early when their team were losing. Now insufferably arrogant and nasty to boot. Not all of them of course but a good number.

Veterans List
    What are peoples thoughts on the Brown bump on Saad? Looked really bad in that he wasn't expecting it and it was late but head high contact wasn't involved but whiplash and potential neck injury was a factor. Does anyone think that it was a bit of an over reaction to send it straight to the tribunal and that maybe the MRO would have sufficed?

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the Brown bump on Saad? Looked really bad in that he wasn't expecting it and it was late but head high contact wasn't involved but whiplash and potential neck injury was a factor. Does anyone think that it was a bit of an over reaction to send it straight to the tribunal and that maybe the MRO would have sufficed?
    He’s concussed and has whiplash. If you are right and it wasn’t head high, but the player still got a head injury, then I’m not sure how to adjudicate?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    He’s concussed and has whiplash. If you are right and it wasn’t head high, but the player still got a head injury, then I’m not sure how to adjudicate?
    It was late and I thought his shoulder made contact with his head. Probably a misjudgement in terms of where he wanted to get him but he chose to make contact and must pay for the consequences. 4 weeks in my book but probably not necessary to refer it to Tribunal. Bit of an over reaction after Gaff incident.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Can be dismissed at the Tribunal if there's no head contact. Reckon it's just the MRO handballing for safety.

I saw it and thought it was ok, just that Saad wasn't expecting it and it was a heavy hit with whiplash, that's not suspendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    It was late and I thought his shoulder made contact with his head. Probably a misjudgement in terms of where he wanted to get him but he chose to make contact and must pay for the consequences. 4 weeks in my book but probably not necessary to refer it to Tribunal. Bit of an over reaction after Gaff incident.
    The new system provides for a lot more cases to be referred directly to the tribunal. In the old days it was an indication of something shocking, nowadays it just means it's at the upper end of severity.

It was much later and higher impact than Jones' hit, but less impact than Cameron's. So between those two. Four weeks seems likely. If he's offered 3 weeks he should take it straight away.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Very ordinary supporters. Before their recent dominance, they were renowned for leaving early when their team were losing. Now insufferably arrogant and nasty to boot. Not all of them of course but a good number.
    Entitled wankers. It was them that started the Goodes booing. Hope we knock them out of the finals in round 23.

Senior Player
    Well, that was handy.

Veteran Site Admin
    I was baffled and disappointed by the Ablett booing. I only turned on at half-time, having watched the NEAFL game first, so wondered if maybe he'd been involved in some incident. But it appears not.

When I first discovered Australian Football, booing star players was a bit of a thing. Carey probably copped it the worst (in my time) but he wasn't the only one. It carried on into the 2000s, and I think Goodes copped some of it when he was at his absolute peak. It wasn't as loud or sustained as 2015 but was there.

It seemed to have died out in the last decade or so, with booing being reserved as a short-term thing for players playing against their old side (mostly just the first time), players kicking for goal (sometimes), players who'd been involved in an incident, or "one-off" issues like Milne for the first couple of games after he was charged, and Watson the first game after he admitted taking a dubious supplement. Neither of the Milne nor Watson booing persisted for long. It was only Goodes who copped it that ugly level for an extended period of time (and no need to rehash the discussions of why).

I've noticed a return this year and it saddens me. Buddy has been audibly booed in a few games (notably the North game a few weeks ago) and Ablett was today. It's such an ugly sound, and I really have no idea what drives people to do it.

Port are stunned .

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was baffled and disappointed by the Ablett booing. I only turned on at half-time, having watched the NEAFL game first, so wondered if maybe he'd been involved in some incident. But it appears not.

When I first discovered Australian Football, booing star players was a bit of a thing. Carey probably copped it the worst (in my time) but he wasn't the only one. It carried on into the 2000s, and I think Goodes copped some of it when he was at his absolute peak. It wasn't as loud or sustained as 2015 but was there.

It seemed to have died out in the last decade or so, with booing being reserved as a short-term thing for players playing against their old side (mostly just the first time), players kicking for goal (sometimes), players who'd been involved in an incident, or "one-off" issues like Milne for the first couple of games after he was charged, and Watson the first game after he admitted taking a dubious supplement. Neither of the Milne nor Watson booing persisted for long. It was only Goodes who copped it that ugly level for an extended period of time (and no need to rehash the discussions of why).

I've noticed a return this year and it saddens me. Buddy has been audibly booed in a few games (notably the North game a few weeks ago) and Ablett was today. It's such an ugly sound, and I really have no idea what drives people to do it.
    I really dislike it too, especially when it’s part of a campaign against a player. It feels like a form of bullying.

Whereas it can also be a sort of banter If someone’s kicking for goal or gets a soft free kick, I’m fine with booing in dare I say a playful way.

I have fond memories from the SCG of Michael Voss being paid a high tackle after a blatant dive in the goal square. As the crowd watched the replay and booed him, he missed his kick at goal from 10m out directly in front.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast