Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 21 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it's outright bullying. In the end, the discussions around why Goodes was being booed became tiresome. It didn't matter. Regardless it was a sustained attack on a player just going about his business.

I wonder if those who joined in (and who booed Ablett today or Franklin earlier this season) have thought about how they'd like it if a group of people gathered around them in their workplace and booed them for an extended period.

While I don't like any form of booing, I agree it's a bit different if it's in response to the game itself. The booing of Ablett today most certainly wasn't.
    The Swans are not squeaky clean in the bullying of players. The sustained physical and mental attack on Jason Johannisen was disgusting in my opinion. It started a 'movement' in the AFL that evey team thought it ok to bully, intimidate and domineer a man playing a game that he loves. How it was allowed to continue for so long amazed me. In any other work place people would and should be sacked for that type of disgusting behaviour.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    The Swans are not squeaky clean in the bullying of players. The sustained physical and mental attack on Jason Johannisen was disgusting in my opinion. It started a 'movement' in the AFL that evey team thought it ok to bully, intimidate and domineer a man playing a game that he loves. How it was allowed to continue for so long amazed me. In any other work place people would and should be sacked for that type of disgusting behaviour.
    Not sure booing crowds and players targeting an opposition player are comparable. Not saying the Swans targeting JJ was a good look but it's a pretty common part of the game nowadays and I am sure Swans players have been on the receiving end. I don't think the Swans "started it" with their treatment of JJ. Indeed, the team was widely criticised for not coming to the assistance of Mills during the round 6 loss to Carlton last year, when he was receiving excessive physical attention from Carlton players.

Back on the booing of Ablett, there's a piece up this morning on the AFL site that highlights a flop by Ablett in the first quarter right in front of their goal. It won them a goal. If that is what the Hawthorn crowd was booing him for, it makes a bit more sense than if it was just because he was Ablett. I still don't particularly like it, but I understand it.

Doesn't explain why Buddy has been audibly booed in a couple of recent games in Melbourne.

I would suggest that Johannisen had been quite vocal in previous games and the Swans decided to shut that down, successfully.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    They did change this a couple of years ago. For a while, players were held accountable for head clashes that arose during a bump.
    Great, now I have to look things up!

With all the controversy surrounding concussion, I'd be staggered if the AFL weakened their response in recent years regarding impact from avoidable collisions. Their information paper related to concussion from 2012 states that one of the Laws and Tribunal changes to protect the head and neck included the following: "High contact classification given to incidents where head hits the ground".

Also, I would think that Brown would be guilty under the Law against charging as noted below:

15.4.4 Charge or Charging
    (a) A Charge means an act of a Player colliding with an opposition Player where the amount of physical force used is unreasonable or unnecessary in the circumstances, irrespective of whether the Player is or is not in possession of the football or whether the Player is within 5 metres of the football.
    (b) Without limiting the general application of Law 15.4.4 (a), a Charge occurs when a Player unreasonably or unnecessarily collides with an opposition Player:
    (i) who is not within 5 metres of the football;
    (ii) who, although within 5 metres of the football, is not in the immediate contest for the football and would not reasonably expect such contact;
    (iii) who is attempting to Mark the football or who has Marked the football or been awarded a Free Kick;
    (iv) after that Player has disposed of the football;
    (v) who is Shepherding another Player on their Team; or
    (vi) before the football is brought into play.

So, if all of the above still stands, Brown could be reported for charging and in the process making high contact (irrespective of whether he was hit in the head during the collision, as his head clearly strikes the ground after the incident). The seriousness of the outcome would then depend on the medical report, but being carted off on a stretcher does not help his case.

Not saying booing a player and physically bullying a player is comparable. Just saying bullying of any kind is not acceptable. And there is no justification for it what so ever. Even on a sporting field.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Dogs back within 4 pts after being down by 28 at HT. Anyone game enough to say they're barracking for them?

Now up by 1.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Dogs back within 4 pts after being down by 28 at HT. Anyone game enough to say they're barracking for them?

Now up by 1.
    I'm absolutely barracking for them.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I’d happily enter such a Faustian pact to improve our finals chances.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I’d happily enter such a Faustian pact to improve our finals chances.
    Not a Faustian pact for me. North are my most detested team by far, regardless of finals ramifications for us.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    I suppose a Bulldog win could be considered to be a very, very, very small repayment on what they owe us after 2016's travesty.

Veterans List
    Titus O'Reilly's report on the Swans/Dees match is a classic.....

Melbourne (78) v Sydney (87)

"Melbourne kept their ‘missing the finals in the most heartbreaking manner possible’ hopes alive with a stunning display at the MCG on Sunday.

Last edited by RogueSwan; 14th August 2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: quoting too much of the article

That’s why at at $3.20 head to head (particularly as the Dees had beaten bugger all) the odds seemed way off, so my scrambled eggs, foraged mushrooms and sautéed spinach and skinny cap breakfasts at Bowen Island Cafe this week will taste even better as I watch the highlights of a classic win on my IPad saying grace of course (giving thanks to the Swans guts and ferocity).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast