Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 21 Swans v Melbourne, MCG, Sun 12 Aug 3:20pm @SydneySwans #AFLDeesSwans

Senior Player
    When teams kick seven goals in a row, they tend to win games. I don't call that luck, I call it skill and good playing. We deserved
    to win, and ground it out well in the last quarter with only two guys on the bench. Improves our record against Top 8 teams to
    6-and-2. Giants at Spotless are very hard for anyone to beat (Richmond couldn't) but having won 8 from their last 9 they are
    possibly due a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Buddy booing feels like it's at a tipping point where it could go the way of Goode's booing.
    I think there is a feeling that Buddy plays for, and gets, favourable treatment from the umpires. I find this a little hard to understand. While he has got away with one or two blatant fouls in the past couple of weeks, he gets gets plenty of free kicks called against him (most of any Swans player I think) and he gets paid about one free kick for every three infringements against him, so he's not exactly an umpires favourite (like Ben Brown, for example).

More generally, booing an opposition star is an interesting thing. I consider myself pretty fair-minded (I thought the umpiring of the Collingwood game was fine, maybe we even got away with a few) but I don't mind booing an opponent if they are lining up to shoot for goal - maybe it will put them off! On the other hand, in general play I wouldn't do it, and I'll even applaud them if they do something brilliant and entertaining. (Daniher's pack mark in the 1st quarter of last year's EF springs to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    To some extent I agree. Quite a few players look better at higher standards of football, with more structure and better team mates around them. It's one reason why it's hard to assess outside, running players at NEAFL level, because they often don't have quality ball delivered to them, or team mates knowing where to run to be a target.

In AA's case - and particularly last year - we know he had fitness issues to go along with any form/confidence problems. I think you have to trust the club to know when a player - especially an inexperienced one - is physically ready to make the move up to senior football.
    I try to project NEAFL performances on the basis of whether the kind of game a player plays would hold well at AFL, which is why I've always seen COR as an AFL player, and it doesn't matter if Robinson gets 45 possessions in the reserves, it's just high numbers without much substance. And it's also why I rate Foote and Fox better prospects than Robinson, Marsh and Towers.

We made a big mistake not bringing Aliir in last year when he put in a solid block of performances in the back half of they ear. I could see in Aliir, with all his faults, and he does have them, a player that can transform the way a team plays. Our defence will now transform itself around Aliir, like our forward line has around Franklin.

On another matter, I hope Newman can carry forward with his current form. What a bonus it would be if he played well enough to cement a spot in the side. His kicking is a real weapon that has scoreboard impact. If only he could kick on his right side, because he can get caught out trying to swing onto his left and I worry that once more players are aware of this it might hurt his performance.

I liked what Gary Lyon said OTC tonight when dissecting Melbourne's performance: "The Swans are what the Melbourne FC are aspiring to become but just aren't". This is after Gary praised the Swans for finding ways in winning big games the last 2 weeks even though they had been down on form.

Warming the Bench
    On the rewatch i can't believe the turnaround from quarter time
    I can only imagine that AJ getting around the boys in the qtr time huddle
    lifted them
    amazing performance

Veterans List
    I was in transit to Thailand so missed the game. Couldn't believe it when I sent a message to my son from KL airport and I quote..."another backs to wall win". So I called him, hang the cost. As I always say to friends....as a Swans supporter we always get a run for our money.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    lifted them
    amazing performance
    Yes, but there could be a big come-down this week. You can only ride on ""doing it for AJ" for so long.
    so go easy on them if they do lose. Theý are are only human.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I was in transit to Thailand so missed the game. Couldn't believe it when I sent a message to my son from KL airport and I quote..."another backs to wall win".
    And I was in transit from Germany via Dubai to Sydney and also missed the game.

Had an early first quarter score (and the terrible AJ news) while in Dubai airport (didn’t look promising, oh well I thought that’s the season over). Then found later I could get a very small data allocation on a poor wifi connection on board the plane. Couldn’t access the AFL or Swans sites to find the final result, so turned to trusty RWO. Of course none of you repeated the score but I could tell from the comments that we had won! I nearly woke everybody up by cheering!

Eventually got a msg re 9 points win from a desolate Demons-supporting friend just before my data ran out. Now home gorging on all the videos and commentary. Thanks RWO.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I was in transit to Thailand so missed the game. Couldn't believe it when I sent a message to my son from KL airport and I quote..."another backs to wall win". So I called him, hang the cost. As I always say to friends....as a Swans supporter we always get a run for our money.
    I know watching of 5 minutes of highlights doesn't give you much of a picture of a game, but did I notice at lot more players getting inside 50 metres.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    lifted them
    amazing performance
    We can't know how much AJ's misfortune and subsequent actions galvanised the team. They would have been robots if there hadn't been some effect, but I'm not convinced emotional things like that have a sustained effect, certainly not on skill execution.

Turnarounds in team performance from one quarter to the next (or sometimes within quarters) aren't unusual though. Sometimes it's down to a positional or tactical tweak made by coaches but often I reckon it "just happens". You only have to look at our recent game against North, where it felt like we were just hanging on in the first term and conceded a few late goals. Then we came out and completely outplayed North in the second quarter. They regrouped at half-time and had a period of scoring dominance and then we turned it around again. There were lots of swings of momentum in that game.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Listening to Shane Crawford and James Hird talk about the game on their podcast, Hird said that the Swans defence usually likes to push up the field but pointed out that the Swans defence sat much deeper than usual to adjust for the loss of 2 defenders to reduce the amount of running they had to do. He said Melbourne struggled because they kept bombing long into the forward line, and that suited the Swans defenders just fine, particularly with a hobbled Jesse Hogan and Max Gawn.

Will be interesting to look out for this on the replay.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We can't know how much AJ's misfortune and subsequent actions galvanised the team. They would have been robots if there hadn't been some effect, but I'm not convinced emotional things like that have a sustained effect, certainly not on skill execution.

Turnarounds in team performance from one quarter to the next (or sometimes within quarters) aren't unusual though. Sometimes it's down to a positional or tactical tweak made by coaches but often I reckon it "just happens". You only have to look at our recent game against North, where it felt like we were just hanging on in the first term and conceded a few late goals. Then we came out and completely outplayed North in the second quarter. They regrouped at half-time and had a period of scoring dominance and then we turned it around again. There were lots of swings of momentum in that game.
    Agreed i don't usually believe in the hype of milestone games etc
    Once the ball is bounced all of that is forgotten
    but if that is AJ's last appearance for the Swans it will be remembered for that image of him at quarter time

- - - Updated - - -

Plenty on here complain about Vic-centric bias and i read comments regarding BT and his Gawn commentary
    He definitely can be annoying but he gushed over Alir in the same manner as Gawn and no complaints
    I thought the commentary was largely well rounded on the weekend
    Really Like Bartel as special comments