Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rd22 vs GWS

any word or progress on Mills ?
    Normally they give you a month to month on longterm

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    any word or progress on Mills ?
    Normally they give you a month to month on longterm
    Very good authority tells me that we need to go deep into September to see Millsie this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Newman was good yesterday because he got loose and hurt Melbourne because he is an excellent kick when given time and space. A couple of times he was exposed on his right side and when his lack of foot speed was obvious. He is very effective when he gets it in space, but I still have worries about him with his lack of pace but he definitely deserves to stay in the side.
    He certainly can be exposed at times on his right side in particular, but many a one sided player has thrived in the AFL over the years. He needs to learn from some of our seniors, who have never had blinding pace to get them out of a hole, but have learnt to minimise the ability of opposition to exploit their weakness. I liked a lot of what he did yesterday - we need to get him in such situations more often.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Rohan barely lasted a quarter in the NEAFL game. That follows him breaking his hand before half-time in his previous outing. We've not been furnished with any news yet about what his problem was, but it's hard to see him being selected to play senior footy next week.

I seem to recall that when we played GWS early in the season, Whitfield was kept well under control. Can anyone remember who played on him?

Even if it wasn't Cunningham last time, he might be a good option this week. He played more forward against the Dees than he has for most of the season, and he also showed against the Hawks' Smith that he is capable of shutting down an opponent, if called upon to do so. The main thing working against that is Kelly. Along with Whitfield, he's probably the key Giant to try and keep under control. Assuming he recovers from his concussion, Cunningham seems the best equipped Swan to run with him. Hewett has been our most used tagger this year but I'm not sure how equipped he is to play on Kelly or Whitfield. (Waiting for someone to point out that it was Hewett who did a decent job on Whitfield in the last game - which I confess I have a sneaking feeling might be the case.)
    Your sneaky feeling was right Liz. from AFL.com
    "Star defender Lachie Whitfield was kept to just 15 possessions by Swan George Hewett in round three, and with Heath Shaw missing, he'll need to have a big influence with his rebound on Saturday."
    But i think you may also be right in that Cunningham should go to him. I would send Hewett to Coniglio or Ward. Even with Kelly out they have a lot of midfielders who can damage you. Shiel is in good form and their young guns in Taranto and Hopper also having some meaningful impact.

Warming the Bench
    Whats the go with Marsh?
    He doesn't always give us a lot going forward but fairly dependable at stopping his oppponent.

I wouldn't rest McCartin
    It's invaluable experience and he is coming up big in the pivotal moments
    If we make finals he will get bye week to rest

Veteran Site Admin
    Marsh is currently injured - hamstring I think. Did it in the warm-up of a NEAFL game a couple of weeks ago.

With so many of the GWS small defenders out, I think there are a lot of opportunities for our small forwards to do some serious damage this week, as long as we can transition well out of defence and win some ball in the middle. This will definitely be helped if Kelly is out too. With all this in mind, I would be inclined to bring COR in for AJ and Jones in for Smith, with the aim being for speed and quick transition.

Hopefully Reg back than Ramps can run off

Senior Player
    I read that Nick Smith is out for 6 weeks with a hamstring tendon injury. Mostly, I feel sorry for him for probably missing out on one of his last shots at making another GF.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I read that Nick Smith is out for 6 weeks with a hamstring tendon injury. Mostly, I feel sorry for him for probably missing out on one of his last shots at making another GF.
    Nick is not that old!, is he currently 29? Got a couple more seasons at least

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    With the bye he'll be back for the granny!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    With so many of the GWS small defenders out, I think there are a lot of opportunities for our small forwards to do some serious damage this week, as long as we can transition well out of defence and win some ball in the middle. This will definitely be helped if Kelly is out too. With all this in mind, I would be inclined to bring COR in for AJ and Jones in for Smith, with the aim being for speed and quick transition.
    With Smith out Jones is a certainty, but I don't think we have missed his ill discipline one bit. I would play him off the wing or up forward where he can apply some run or pressure. From all reports Florent played Jones's role much better on Sunday. Interesting stat on Nathan Jones; 52% disposal efficiency with about 8 direct turnovers. Ring a bell?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast