Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Swans vs Giants, SS, Sat 18 Aug 4:35pm @sydneyswans #AFLGiantsSwans

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Fourth would be nice....but got Richmond at the G the next week . Still, we would have the double chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't 4th play 1st in week 1? So it wd be the G and Tigers?
    Yes, but then the home final would be the next week, if we lose, or wonderfully, a home prelim two weeks later, if we beat the Tigers.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    I was one of those doom and gloomers about a month ago. I guess you never know week to week, things can change so quickly. The boys obviously have some belief, even without 6 or 7 of our best!

Richmond will be tough to beat of course, but if the Swans get there, write them off at your peril.
    We have had some luck in our last three wins. Collingwood got injuries in game as did GWS who seem to be cursed. If Melbourne had kicked straight early, we may never have got back in game. Hope these breaks keep going our way. They can be crucial to outcomes of games.

GWs let allir be free in almost all kick ins. It must have been an onpurpose tactic, relying on his floaty kicks to get it back afterwards. He really needs to work on his kicks over the off-season

Win this Sat and we play the Tigers, lose and we play the loser of GWS/Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Win this Sat and we play the Tigers, lose and we play the loser of GWS/Melbourne.
    Yes, though there is the possibility of Melbourne losing and Geelong beating Gold Coast by over 100. In which case, Geelong can overtake Melbourne.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Very encouraging.

Our experienced guys are heating up and bringing the team with them.

Buddy has a determined, marauding look; he's averaged 4.4, 9 marks, 4 tackles, 6 I50s over the last three weeks (all against top 8 teams), which are all above his season average.

Parker seemed to have set himself from the opening bounce and was hardest at it all game.

McVeigh is moving very smoothly and is critical to our transition.

I thought Hanners backed up his breakout game last week with another good game on the wing. His kicking was a bit better.

And Kieren Jack looked more agile than he has for two years. Usually he is quite accurate kicking inside 50, but his kicking was errant for a lot of the game, until he slotted the one that really mattered.

Those guys have won premierships, they know what it takes, and they're lifting. They'll be critical to the next month and a half.

Aside from those guys I thought Sinclair had another solid game where he got the most out of himself. Florent had some nice touches - he will get beaten one on one a bit as he learns, but his dash and skills are important. Jones' run was useful a few times. And another excellent game from our most consistent player - Jake Lloyd.

We'll be better again with Dawson in for Fox.
    Good summary of the game. I was shocked to see Jack play that game. Also a point of note in the game. The way Hayward practically rag dolled Callum Ward in a tackle was amazing for a 20 year old. Maybe in years to come he could be the next Dusty Martin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Good summary of the game. I was shocked to see Jack play that game. Also a point of note in the game. The way Hayward practically rag dolled Callum Ward in a tackle was amazing for a 20 year old. Maybe in years to come he could be the next Dusty Martin?

Bit of a stretch. Martin was already nuggety when he came into the game. Will needs a lot more meat on the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post

He won't be the next Dusty Martin I don't think, but Hayward is going to be a cracking player, as is Ollie Florent. Hayward I saw tonight is the youngest guy to reach 50 goals in the AFL since Buddy did it way back when!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

As a Brisbane based fan, Saturday night was my first game at Spotless and it was an interesting experience. I was surprised at the number of GWS supporters and how passionate they were albeit a little uneducated about the game. The Giants put on a really good show, with good entertainment, food and all round atmosphere. The ground is fantastic for viewing the game. My mate from Sydney, whose kids play for the Glebe Greyhounds, was explaining that GWS has been given the territory west of Concord and are doing a great job indoctrinating the kids with lots of club and school visits. He also pointed out that GWS have the third highest membership of any sporting club in Sydney behind the Swans and wanderers. All up impressive stuff by the Giants. Certainly makes you wonder what the hell is going on at the Suns! It will however be interesting to see what happens in a few years time when they lose a few of their stars back to Melbourne and potentially start to struggle. Its always easy to support a strong team that plays an attractive style of Footy.

What a lovely turnaround that was. Thought we were cooked at the beginning of the final quarter.
    Now to face the poos and wees.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    We have had some luck in our last three wins. Collingwood got injuries in game as did GWS who seem to be cursed. If Melbourne had kicked straight early, we may never have got back in game. Hope these breaks keep going our way. They can be crucial to outcomes of games.
    It's funny how we were 'lucky against the Pies and the Giants'. The commentators and today's press say that we ended up winning both games because they finished without a bench. I was sure in both games they finshed with only one player unable to go back on the field and each time only from the third quarter. The commentary during both games was doing my head in so I checked the match reports from AFL and found these:

Collingwood: Darcy Moore suffered a hamstring injury and played no part in the second half.

Greater Western Sydney: Ryan Griffen came from the field in the third term with a left hamstring issue and while he came back on briefly, he was iced up by the break. Daniel Lloyd suffered a cut to the face but played on, while Phil Davis played the second half in the forward line with a corked hip. Jeremy Finlayson limped off in the third term with a left leg problem but played out the match.

So in the end they played with one down on the bench for the second half of their games.

Based on this theory we should have lost to Melbourne.

We may not be playing our best football but it is better than the teams we have played.

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    It's funny how we were 'lucky against the Pies and the Giants'. The commentators and today's press say that we ended up winning both games because they finished without a bench. I was sure in both games they finshed with only one player unable to go back on the field and each time only from the third quarter. The commentary during both games was doing my head in so I checked the match reports from AFL and found these:

Collingwood: Darcy Moore suffered a hamstring injury and played no part in the second half.

Greater Western Sydney: Ryan Griffen came from the field in the third term with a left hamstring issue and while he came back on briefly, he was iced up by the break. Daniel Lloyd suffered a cut to the face but played on, while Phil Davis played the second half in the forward line with a corked hip. Jeremy Finlayson limped off in the third term with a left leg problem but played out the match.

So in the end they played with one down on the bench for the second half of their games.

Based on this theory we should have lost to Melbourne.

We may not be playing our best football but it is better than the teams we have played.
    While I acknowledge the reality that we have played injury riddled sides (injuries both pre- and during the game) and this helped us:

1) it’s not like we haven’t had our own injury concerns

2) we can only play against who the opposition put out on the field

3) form and confidence are a factor. Sure we beat under-manned opposition, but we beat them nonetheless, and that can give a psychological boost to a side, particularly a young side.

4) besting top 8 sides leading into the finals (no matter their personnel) are 8 point games - we get the 4 points, they don’t. That is important

Ultimately I couldn’t care what the media say about our wins. They’re wins. We need them.