Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Swans vs Giants, SS, Sat 18 Aug 4:35pm @sydneyswans #AFLGiantsSwans

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    On the AFL site match review the free kick count was 20-17 in our favour.

I listened on MMM and it seemed every time Hanners was mentioned there was a turnover - I thought Hanners is up to his old tricks again. I think injuries did play a part; more with Phil Davis than Griffin but Davis' injury was friendly fire. The Swans dominated in the second half but we couldn't convert on the scoreboard until late in the game.

I suspect the Swans have adopted a subtle game plan where we don't play too hard in Q1 and Q2. Last week against Melbourne we came over the top in the 2nd half; same with this game. In recent games our opposition have come out hard at the start. We've looked a bit ordinary but picked up in the 2nd half. Does this strategy remind anyone of another team in the AFL - maybe Richmond. How can Richmond be so full of running in Q4 like they've done many time this year. I suspect there's a bit more to our slow starts than just 'slow starts'
    It's an interesting observation because, in the few preceding seasons we've been a team that has often come out hard and scored heavily in the first quarter and then just seemed to hang on for the rest of the game.

In the first half, the game was very high pressure from both sides but the Giants' hands were just a little bit cleaner than the Swans, whether that was dishing out a handball that extracted them from traffic, or marking overhead. I thought our handling got a little better as the game went on but the big difference was that the Giants' midfielders weren't able to sustain the same level of effort in the second half. I doubt the loss of Griffin (or the shifting of Davis) can account for quite how much they dropped off, but I do wonder if the previous two weeks, when they were down to practically no bench in the second half, took their toll.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I listened on MMM and it seemed every time Hanners was mentioned there was a turnover
    How did Jack sound on the call, considering his 10 clangers?
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    Not too sure re this theory we are saving ourselves for big second halves. Weren't most of the seven straight goals against Melbourne
    kicked in the second quarter. You'd think we're going to have to do a bit better than being 5.9.39 at 3/4 time, if we
    are going to progress far in the finals. I'd prefer we wiped out the opposition with an eight goal to one first quarter and let the
    opposition do the chasing. Besides I think we're pretty good at hanging on at the end of games generally.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Did it even hit him on the head? Looks to me like it bounced off his shoulder.
    Maybe the intent of the ball was to only make contact with the shoulder, but whiplash resulted from the contact, which could have resulted in concussion. Negligent, High contact and medium impact. Lucky Sinclair was able to push through and play out the game. I think the ball should be suspended for a week and not see any action again until the finals. We've got to crack down of these balls before it gets out of control. We have to make an example of this ball as a warning to others.

Veterans List
    I did laugh at the vision of Buddy arriving at the ground and strolling passed security while poor Heeney was rummaging through his bag trying to find his pass 😊.

Senior Player
    I suspect our recent dip in form coincided with a heavy training load

Hopefully it means we head into the finals full of running

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We were helped no doubt by the Giants injuries, but you are spot no Kafka about how we smashed them in the midfield after half time. With good kicking we would of beaten them by 40+ in the end, even more perhaps.
    The injury which really hurt the Giants was before the game. The secret spark of hope sprung up in my heart when I heard that Kelly could miss. (Although I would have denied it before the game, of course). But he was a huge out for them.

That bloke Kelly Greene was a helpful out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    I'd prefer we wiped out the opposition with an eight goal to one first quarter and let the
    opposition do the chasing
    . Besides I think we're pretty good at hanging on at the end of games generally.
    worked well against the suns a few weeks back...

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post

I suspected this, it usually comes up every year
    Throw in a few additional 6 day breaks and its plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Everyone forgets about Naismith. He is the biggest loss of the season.
    And Tippett.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post

That was also my theory when we were struggling a few weeks back. Still remember how flat and lethargic they looked against Geelong in last years final.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718