Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 22 Swans vs Giants, SS, Sat 18 Aug 4:35pm @sydneyswans #AFLGiantsSwans

Lots of people who had tickets couldn’t get to the game because of the public transport meltdown. We were two of them. Went to the station, waited for ages for a promised bus link which never appeared and gave it up.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    So I'm wondering if those who called for us to wrap it all up this year and look to next year are still of that mindset?
    This isn't a jab, but a genuine question.
    Arguments could be made that we're not playing like a team who can win the flag, and the chances of us making it to the end may not be great.

Personally I'm of the thought "in it to win it" and finishing in the top 8 of 18 presents a real chance, particularly as finals are different to H&A.
    I was one of those doom and gloomers about a month ago. I guess you never know week to week, things can change so quickly. The boys obviously have some belief, even without 6 or 7 of our best!

Richmond will be tough to beat of course, but if the Swans get there, write them off at your peril.

Senior Player
    Very encouraging.

Our experienced guys are heating up and bringing the team with them.

Buddy has a determined, marauding look; he's averaged 4.4, 9 marks, 4 tackles, 6 I50s over the last three weeks (all against top 8 teams), which are all above his season average.

Parker seemed to have set himself from the opening bounce and was hardest at it all game.

McVeigh is moving very smoothly and is critical to our transition.

I thought Hanners backed up his breakout game last week with another good game on the wing. His kicking was a bit better.

And Kieren Jack looked more agile than he has for two years. Usually he is quite accurate kicking inside 50, but his kicking was errant for a lot of the game, until he slotted the one that really mattered.

Those guys have won premierships, they know what it takes, and they're lifting. They'll be critical to the next month and a half.

Aside from those guys I thought Sinclair had another solid game where he got the most out of himself. Florent had some nice touches - he will get beaten one on one a bit as he learns, but his dash and skills are important. Jones' run was useful a few times. And another excellent game from our most consistent player - Jake Lloyd.

We'll be better again with Dawson in for Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    If we do win next week we finish 4th and face a first final against Richmond at the MCG. Toughest assignment in footy at the moment.
    If we finish 4th, we at least have away-ground advantage that has had all non-NSW teams trembling all season. We’re a chance in any game away from the SCG this year!

Going off early , however a first final against the Tigers would be OK .

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I thought Hanners backed up his breakout game last week with another good game on the wing. His kicking was a bit better.

We'll be better again with Dawson in for Fox.
    I noticed that Fox played the 2nd half with bandaging on his left thigh, so maybe that accounts for his low numbers. He seemed to be playing on Haynes who would be a very tough matchup for anyone. I'll try not to hold the game against him. But Dawson in for Fox does look to be a probable change next game.

I thought Hanners was down from last week. He's far from the 30 possession a game player he was in 2016. It would be nice to see him with a breakout game like Jack had, where he moves around the ground like the 'old days'.

The game style didn't favour the outside runners putting on a show, the checking being so tight, particularly in the first half.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 19th August 2018 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    So I'm wondering if those who called for us to wrap it all up this year and look to next year are still of that mindset?
    This isn't a jab, but a genuine question.
    Arguments could be made that we're not playing like a team who can win the flag, and the chances of us making it to the end may not be great.

Personally I'm of the thought "in it to win it" and finishing in the top 8 of 18 presents a real chance, particularly as finals are different to H&A.
    After the Essendon game I thought we had no chance of making finals, but I still thought the best plan was to put out the best team and try to get into the 8. On the basis even playing one final would be the best experience for the younger players. Also I don't think our draft position will have a huge bearing on who we draft.

I went to the Pies game terrified of an annihilation. The last 3 games have been nothing short of miraculous really. I think one tipster out of the Age and Herald-Sun combined backed us against Melbourne, and maybe a handful against GWS. It's been an extraordinary turnaround.

I was also wrong about the older players - earlier in the year I was calling for the head of Hanners, Jack etc. I now realise that you need a certain number of experienced players to play to the required standard and it isn't just about possessions, it's about leadership, knowing how to win, experience etc.

Credit to John Longmire, the coaches and players that we are playing finals again, and have the chance to be top 4.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was going to point out that if we win and the Pies lose, we will finish third. But then I reminded myself of who the Pies play next weekend. We'll finish fourth.
    Fourth would be nice....but got Richmond at the G the next week . Still, we would have the double chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Because Melbourne play GWS in the last round, only one of them can overtake us if we lose to Hawthorn. Hence the lowest we can finish is sixth, i.e. we have a home final this year.
    Doesn't 4th play 1st in week 1? So it wd be the G and Tigers?

I think one thing that stood out for me yesterday was how the more senior players stood up.
    Made a big difference.
    Buddy, Parker, Kennedy, Jack, Hanners was ok, Rampe held his own, as did Sinclair.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Fox spent periods in the 2nd half in defence, particularly when the Giants had all 3 of Cameron, Himmelberg, and Davis on at the same time trying to stretch our undersized backline.

Sinclair took some excellent marks with a pretty high degree of difficulty.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I noticed that Fox played the 2nd half with bandaging on his left thigh, so maybe that accounts for his low numbers. He seemed to be playing on Haynes who would be a very tough matchup for anyone. I'll try not to hold the game against him. But Dawson in for Fox does look to be a probable change next game.

I thought Hanners was down from last week. He's far from the 30 possession a game player he was in 2016. It would be nice to see him with a breakout game like Jack had, where he moves around the ground like the 'old days'.

The game style didn't favour the outside runners putting on a show, the checking being so tight, particularly in the first half.
    Yes, his numbers were a little down but he seemed to be moving pretty well.