Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Broke Bad Barry

Senior Player
    So, Stevo, how long did Barry play for? 12 years say. So he would have made five, six million bucks in his footy career right?
    Plus whatever he got in sponsorship, working as a commentator etc.
    And the average wage is what, 70K or something. So Barry has made 80, 90 years of the average persons pay, possibly more,
    and now he has nothing to show for it? Don't you think he has been very foolish with money? I think it's unrealistic to
    expect there will a lot of sympathy for him.

He has been through a divorce. Sophie would have taken a large chunk of the proceeds.

Veterans List
    I can understand a certain level of 'lack of sympathy' but I take no pleasure in others misfortune.....no one should (and I'm not insinuating that you are but some comments here seem to be taking delight that he may now 'have to work like the rest of us'). I also am able to look in the mirror, which would make judging others seem petty, vindictive and at times, hypocritical. None of us know why his money is depleted.....he did have a separation from his former partner to negotiate awhile back.....so we should really not speculate how this situation has arisen. All I'm saying is everyone stuffs up once in a while and everyone deserves forgiveness.....and understanding, not negative judgement laced with safe 'tribal' speculation.

He's still a Swans legend to me......and a human being with faults like all of us and I hope for the sake of his infant child that he gets his wealth in order.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    He has been through a divorce. Sophie would have taken a large chunk of the proceeds.
    Didn't know that, that's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I can understand a certain level of 'lack of sympathy' but I take no pleasure in others misfortune.....no one should (and I'm not insinuating that you are but some comments here seem to be taking delight that he may now 'have to work like the rest of us'). I also am able to look in the mirror, which would make judging others seem petty, vindictive and at times, hypocritical. None of us know why his money is depleted.....he did have a separation from his former partner to negotiate awhile back.....so we should really not speculate how this situation has arisen. All I'm saying is everyone stuffs up once in a while and everyone deserves forgiveness.....and understanding, not negative judgement laced with safe 'tribal' speculation.

He's still a Swans legend to me......and a human being with faults like all of us and I hope for the sake of his infant child that he gets his wealth in order.
    Well said.

He strikes me as a person who is good at blaming others for his predicament and poor at reflecting on how his own choices contributed to them. I don't wish him badly but a bit more self awareness and resilience would go a long way to getting out of this situation. And yes, surely he could get a job if he chose to do so.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

He's our premiership captain.

If you don't have something nice to say....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Pretty gutsy to make his predicament public and then to be hammered on social media.

Hope he finds an employment niche , he’d be a good personal trainer.

The $$$ they get playing footy spoils them to do something for the average income.

Regular in the Side
    I’m in two minds here:
    First I hate the right wing tactic of using the concept “political correct” to attack any opposition to rudeness, hatred or just plain inappropriate behaviour.
    On the other hand I do feel a bit sorry for Barry Hall. He clearly recognises his huge mistake and shouldn’t be permanently punished for it.

What I find interesting in all this is that the people who were offended by his comment are now attacking his wife and child on social media.

“He has lost his job because of it, our son and myself are being attacked (which is a whole other conversation, because how is verbally abusing a woman and innocent child an accepted response to someone being accused of being disrespectful to women?) and is getting labelled as something he is not.”

Seems there is no end to hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    He strikes me as a person who is good at blaming others for his predicament and poor at reflecting on how his own choices contributed to them. I don't wish him badly but a bit more self awareness and resilience would go a long way to getting out of this situation. And yes, surely he could get a job if he chose to do so.
    That's not what I got from the article I read. He did acknowledge his error, and resolved not to repeat it.

The real question is what do you do with someone like that? I am concerned that society today has very little forgiveness in it. We are very quick to condemn and vilify people who make mistakes. I don't think that is the Swans way - the way the club reached out to him at the champions dinner a few years back was great, and I think pretty special to Barry.

OTOH, even if we do forgive him, maybe it is appropriate that he not be given another job in the media.

Tricky issues which make me reluctant to judge one way or the other.

WE don't need to forgive him of anything.
    His wife needs to forgive him for the predicament that he's put his young family into.

I believe this club does ALL that it can to ensure that our boys have something to fall back onto when their footy careers end. Tiger is a teacher, Ted is a stockbroker, Kels is a plumber, Paps is a plumber, even the Canadian Myke Pyke got his @@@@ together (as a very small sample section). What was Barry doing when the club was offering post-football career options?
    He's finished as far as the media goes. He's got NOTHING to fall back on.
    Do we blame the club or do we blame Barry?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast