Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Finals Week 1 - v GWS, SCG, 8 September 2018, 4.20pm

Senior Player
    I think it's pretty standard for a home crowd to go a bit quiet when things are going as badly as they did for us on Saturday.
    However, I do find the SCG home finals crowd not as pumped about games as the regular season crowd. Partially I think it's
    because we're not in our regular seats surrounded by other long term reserved seat members. There is a higher percentage
    of newbies/casual fans at finals games. Longmile, you should never feel too self conscious to yell out stuff at the game.
    It's part of footy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    WC v GWS grand final coming up.
    No Vic fairytales this year
    That would be a financial disaster for the AFL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    That would be a financial disaster for the AFL!!!
    Finacial windfall more like it. The biggest rating AFL grand finals need an non-vic club. Vic's will watch regardless.
    Set GWS up financially too.

Blog Entries
    Finacial windfall more like it. The biggest rating AFL grand finals need an non-vic club. Vic's will watch regardless.
    Only hard core vic fans will watch. Many won't give a rats.

Does Ratings equate to a financial windfall??
    Maybe for the TV station.

I was thinking more along the merchandise line and corporate seating.

There's NO WAY I'd watch the granny if GW$ were in it... their ratings will be one person less.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player

Does it really matter how many corporate packages are sold? Every year about 85% of the population of
    Australia don't watch the GF on TV. The code seems to have survived. If it's a West Coast v GWS grand final, then so be it.
    They'll be there because they deserved it by winning their Prelims.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Does it really matter how many corporate packages are sold? Every year about 85% of the population of
    Australia don't watch the GF on TV. The code seems to have survived. If it's a West Coast v GWS grand final, then so be it.
    They'll be there because they deserved it by winning their Prelims.
    If we are talking financial gains, then yes.
    People will be spending many more $$$$ if it was to be 2 Melbourne teams, rather than WC V GWS.

Youre getting caught up in the vic-centric media narrative.

Take a look at AFL Grand Final - Wikipedia

Ratings for two Vic teams average 2.6m
    One Vic, one non+Vic 2.9m
    Two non-Vic: 3m+

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Agreed. I think I prefer to watch the games from home these days. The matchday experience at the SCG is @@@@house. Loud music between quarters, where you have to yell at one another and then no atmosphere at all during play. I often feel too embarressed or selfconscious to yell anything out or show any passion because the ground is so silent. It's a surreal and unfulfilling experience.
    Its a product to some degree of the mix at footy in Sydney compared to other states. Not that people don't enjoy going to the footy to cheer their team on, but I don't feel the fanaticism is at a similar level within the more 'casual fan' part of the crowd. You hear some interesting discussions at the footy in Sydney you wouldn't here in other cities - very much not related at all to what is going on on the park!

One should never be afriad to show some passion, yell a bit and get into it. But I agree the matchday experience can be lacking at times. And the overbearing optimism of the 'hosts' during the breaks can get a bit wearing - even when things are going poorly they have to whitewash almost everything to the nth degree of 'we can still do it'. I know its part of their job, but it would be nice to get some hosts that know more about footy then some of the recent ones, who really do say some silly things at times.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    If we are talking financial gains, then yes.
    People will be spending many more $$$$ if it was to be 2 Melbourne teams, rather than WC V GWS.
    You reckon? I reckon twenty plus thousand people coming over from Perth and a thousand or two coming down from
    Sydney will be spending quite a lot on airfares, hotels, restaurants, taxis etc. I know how much it costs for me
    to bring a family of four down for the GF from Sydney when we make it. The corporate tickets and boxes have already
    been sold. You don't get a refund on a box just because a Melbourne team isn't playing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    You reckon? I reckon twenty plus thousand people coming over from Perth and a thousand or two coming down from
    Sydney will be spending quite a lot on airfares, hotels, restaurants, taxis etc. I know how much it costs for me
    to bring a family of four down for the GF from Sydney when we make it. The corporate tickets and boxes have already
    been sold. You don't get a refund on a box just because a Melbourne team isn't playing.
    AFL does not gain from most of that, and that was my initial point.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast