Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy All Australian Captain

Does it really matter? - he’s an All Australian 8 times and is still playing-if Rance can get it last year why not Buddy. The team is an honorary one. All the carry on that Hurn/Hern should have got it do you think he will end up with 8 AA’s? Probably not and it was his first AA. With all the media carryon this year I’m surprised that Tom “I touch it 40 times,not all that effectively though” Mitchell wasn’t made captain. I just hope Max Gawn gets the Brownlow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The whole AA concept is a bit how’s your father. Its just another night for a piss up (or mineral water if playing finals).
    Seriously, what are they ever going to do together ? Go and play video games?
    It’s a bit too boring for mine, I switched to watch Federer’s footwork at Flushing Meadow as I’m trying to emulate it.
    I don’t think the players who received the accolade would think that looking back on their career. It’s a great achievement to be named in the AA team, it recognises an excellent year of footy and unlike the Brownlow and MVP, it acknowledges all positions On the field ( even if those lines are often a tad blurred ). I’d say your comment is a bit how’s your father.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    mark robinson doesn't like it

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    mark robinson doesn't like it
    And?

It all depends on how you look at the team (and what it represents). Many team captains (in any given sport) get selected simply on the basis that they are the best player. An AFL club captain is a very specific role with a lot of off-field responsibilities. The AA Team is a very different beast altogether - it is an honorary team that never plays (it is not like the captain, or any player, has an actual role to play).

I am stoked that Bud made the AA team (four for the Swans to match that with the Hawks) and I have no problem with the captaincy selection, particularly in light of last year.

Who wouldn’t follow Bud!

His ‘kick it to me’ comment was hilarious (and perhaps an indicator that the great honour he was bestowed shouldn’t be taken too seriously).

However, I am a little worried, after reading the invective in the comments section of the HS, that this may lead to more booing of Franklin. The references to it being a ‘PC’ decision are disappointing.
    Last edited by Matty10; 30th August 2018 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The whole AA concept is a bit how’s your father. Its just another night for a piss up (or mineral water if playing finals).
    Seriously, what are they ever going to do together ? Go and play video games?
    It’s a bit too boring for mine, I switched to watch Federer’s footwork at Flushing Meadow as I’m trying to emulate it.
    Agree with this 100%. Can't believe how worked up people get over it. Have a look at the people who pick the team! Just another media award.

Having said that, I love Buddy so happy with any recognition he gets.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Buddy is not just the best player in the Swans, he is the best player in football. This team will never play but I'm sure it's a
    great honour for the players to be named. Good on him.

Fabulous. He deserves to be captain because of his sublimeness.
    If it's true that he's only trained for 10 minutes this season... he's elevated himself to 8th on the all time kicking ladder; he's fourth on this year's coleman; and he spends his training time helping the kids come up to speed (... even though that's Stevie J's job).
    Well done Sir Lance. You should be very proud of your achievements.

As an aside... WTF is GAFF doing in the team? Being rewarded for king hitting? Doesn't send out a particularly "good message" to the little people.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    he's fourth on this year's coleman
    ...and notably had the highest goal average per game in the league this year.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Buddy is not just the best player in the Swans, he is the best player in football. This team will never play but I'm sure it's a
    great honour for the players to be named. Good on him.
    So looking forward to the MVP (Leigh Matthews Trophy)
    Me thinks Buddy’s got a real shot to the first Swan to win it in 30 years.

It used to be that the AA captain was the best captain in the team, a recognition of the hard work that goes into the job, but with Rance and now Buddy the selectors have changed it into a title glorifying the elite of the elite.

People need to accept it and move on.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    So looking forward to the MVP (Leigh Matthews Trophy)
    Me thinks Buddy’s got a real shot to the first Swan to win it in 30 years.
    Put it this way. If you had a choice of any player in the league to join your team, who would you take? Dangerfield? Martin? Kelly?
    Nope. You'd take Buddy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast