Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last Game at the Lake Oval

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Then the cockatoo did the crow call!

Many many times!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Great aerial photo of the ground. Cream brick stand, social club and bowling green as well as tiny pressbox and scoreboard on half forward flank at the lake end.
    I think I can just make out the Pie Stand on the right hand wing. IIRC it caught on fire one day. You had to go down behind the terraces to buy your cans just next to the dunny.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    I was also at that game and I don't remember a thing about it except the small crowd and the fact we lost. I used to stand behind the goals in front of the social club, and you could turn up to every game and the same people would be standing in the exact same places. These people were my Saturday afternoon football friends, passionate South Melbourne supporters who were there every week and followed South Melbourne unconditionally. Over the years we became good friends, that would meet every week and talk all things South Melbourne and hopefully cheer our team on to victory, then when the game finished it was a simple see you next week and off we would go to our lives outside of Saturday afternoon footy. The only thing we knew about each other was our names and we supported South.

I do remember when the game was over, a group of us hung around for a long time and talked about what the future would be like. I think we all realised that our Saturday afternoon football would never be the same again and that we would have to catch up at away games now.
    I remember walking out of the ground thinking to myself that I had lost something more than just football at the Lake Oval, I'd just lost a good group of friends. That turned out to be true. Whilst some continued to go to away games, it was never the same, and some struggled to come to terms with the move north and were lost to the game or they may have just chosen to become a TV fan. Over the years I've bumped into a few of these "friends", but its not the same. The Lake Oval was our home. The place where our heroes provided us with so much pleasure, where we poured our emotions into support for South and where we embraced anyone who wore Red & White and everyone who did was your friend.

I too am glad they have kept the old grandstand, and now that there is a running track around the ground the oval configuration has sort of returned to the ground. Its just a pity that the ground couldn't be retained as a football ground and some other features be kept, like the press box scoreboard and the boundary picket fence.
    So beautifully expressed Doctor. Know exactly what you're talking about!

Found a site which contains wonderful old photos of the Lake Oval from a bygone era, including a rare photo which includes the old scoreboard on stilts (half forward flank northern side). As I'd mentioned previously, it was the oldest operating scoreboard in the VFL before the club was relocated to Sydney.

This site is dedicated to photographer Charles Boyles who for several decades took many early VFL photos. This link is dedicated to photos of the Lake Oval & players. It's fascinating viewing. Enjoy!

Lake Oval, Albert Park | Boyles Football Photos
    Last edited by KSAS; 1st September 2018 at 11:00 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Found a site which contains wonderful old photos of the Lake Oval from a bygone era, including a rare photo which includes the old scoreboard on stilts (half forward flank northern side). As I'd mentioned previously, it was the oldest operating scoreboard in the VFL before the club was relocated to Sydney.

This site is dedicated to photographer Charles Boyles who for several decades took many early VFL photos. This link is dedicated to photos of the Lake Oval & players. It's fascinating viewing. Enjoy!

Lake Oval, Albert Park | Boyles Football Photos

Great historic photos. So good the original old stand structure is still there. The aerial photo showing the oval, the lake and the bay is a beauty! Thanks KSAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Great historic photos. So good the original old stand structure is still there. The aerial photo showing the oval, the lake and the bay is a beauty! Thanks KSAS.
    Agree with all that, love that aerial shot.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I had the pleasure of growing up & living within walking distance of the Lakeside Oval. Great suburb having the lake, beach, parks, market & pubs at your door step. (There was a folklore that South/Port Melb at one point had the most pubs per square mile in Australia. If you couldn't see one, you were most likely standing in front of one!). Well worth a visit for those interstate attending our Melbourne games, particularly that the club office is now located at the ground with Skilton's statue.

I was surprised to read Round saying merging with St Kilda was a possibility, which I didn't recall. I do recall however when the then VFL started looking at ground rationalisation, it was mooted we share ground with Fitzroy at Junction Oval or St.Kilda at Moorabbin.

I was also at that last game & sad that such a small crowd attended. I think Rodney Wright (NM) was the last to kick a goal at that ground (wished it was our Stevie Wright). I went to school with Peter Melesso being in the same class from primary to end of secondary. We were both mad Swans supporters (along with many other kids) & we often got caught talking about the Bloods during class. I remember when he was playing a game for West Coast against us at the SCG, he was lining up for a crucial goal and kicked it out on the full, which I thought he did deliberately!

I also had the pleasure of meeting up with Silvio Foschini few years ago through a friend, who still has the Swans close to his heart despite finishing up at the Saints. A really nice humble bloke, who told me what it was like when the club moved to Sydney. I was surprised that he didn't remember kicking 4 goals in the 1982 night grand final win! I showed him the DVD which he took note of to purchase himself!

Sorry for my long post, but topics like this are close to my heart.
    Your username is a good indicator of your passion KSAS. Thanks for the post - brought back lots of memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Agree with all that, love that aerial shot.
    This is alo a great aerial from the front cover of this book when zoomed in. Couldn't find the master version of this photo on the net. (GoSwannies posted a thread about this book in 2014 when it was first released).

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/wik...sbythelake.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12