Thread: Maggie Varcoe Passes Away

Maggie Varcoe Passes Away

This is very sad.
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/mar...epage#comments

Deepest condolences to the Varcoe family.
    I know someone is going to shoot me, but I don't think that women should be playing AFL... or if they do, it should be a "tip" game. Our bodies are not really made to take such a beating.
    Vale.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't know about bodies not made to take the beating. This was a head clash and even men have heads (though a lot of them don't know how to use them properly...)

I don't know anything about the accident that Maggie Varcoe was involved in. It might just have been a freak accident, akin to Phil Hughes. So my next observation isn't intended as a comment of the specifics of this tragedy. But I do sometimes wince watching AFLW at how the women enter contests. We hear it all the time when male AFL players are hit in the head in contests between two players - not off ball snipes, strikes etc, but contests like the the Hanners Hurley one, or even the Parker Impey one - that players are taught to protect themselves when they enter a contest.

There's been such a surge in adult female participation in the last few years and I imagine a lot of these women have come to the game reasonably late, maybe moving over from other sports. I do think there needs to be a lot of coaching focus on teaching women how to enter contests so as not to put their head and necks at risk because I reckon many of them have missed out on having this drilled into them at a young age.

Echo your condolences to the Varcoe family. It is very sad.

Terribly sad news.

Tragic freak result of a clash of heads between two team mates. Nothing to do with gender and it is unnecessary and inappropriate to make the link.

Sorry girls, I've said it before, I was taught from a very young age not to knock my breasts about... avoid hitting or falling on them, as it "may" (I don't say does) cause cancer.
    I see these girls bashing their boobs around and wince in pain.
    Now that there's been a death from a concussion, I'd like to see ALL players (male and female - all ages) wearing helmets. Our helmets are not like Gridiron helmets - they are soft - at least they offer some protection to the head.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Sorry girls, I've said it before, I was taught from a very young age not to knock my breasts about... avoid hitting or falling on them, as it "may" (I don't say does) cause cancer.
    I see these girls bashing their boobs around and wince in pain.
    Now that there's been a death from a concussion, I'd like to see ALL players (male and female - all ages) wearing helmets. Our helmets are not like Gridiron helmets - they are soft - at least they offer some protection to the head.
    Annie, getting your boobs hit hurts like hell - I know I played top grade netball in pouring rain when it was easy to let the ball slip through your hands. BUT IT DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER. You were probably also taught not to wash your hair when you had your period .......

And I very much doubt that Maggie Varcoe died from concussion. Much more likely it was a freak broken blood vessel or something similar to the freak occurrence which killed poor Phil Hughes.

I don’t have a strong opinion about helmets. If they are proven to protect from brain injury then I totally agree they should be compulsory. However from what I’ve read helmets do little to protect from the potential serious consequences of your brain hitting your skull which is what often happens in head collisions.

It's a friggen tragedy. It just saddens me that a young lady died as a result of playing football.
    And no, I'm not THAT old. It's ok to wash your hair when you have a period!!