Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AFL footy show

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Looks like if you cross Eddie you are gone.
    Reports are that Damien Barrett won't be there next year, Sam Newman either (about time). Not sure about Fev,
    I have suspicion the dust up between Eddie & Barrett may've been due to Damien Barrett breaking the Sam Murray ASADA drug story on his Facebook instead of the previous evening on the Footy Show as a exclusive.

The Footy Show is neither a funny or serious footy content show (tries to be both, but fails miserably). IMO, it needs to focus on one or the other with a completely new format. Ch 9 already have Footy Classified as the serious show, maybe that can be morphed into the new Footy Show so that viewers can choose between a serious or comedy (Front Bar) show on Thursday nights.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The footy show is a very old format. It's pretty much the hey hey it's Saturday format with some talk about Collingwood.

The style these days is to have comedians rather than hosts.
    Funny that.....it works fantastically well on higher rating 'The Front Bar' and the Footy Show's demise really started all the way back when they let comedian Trevor Marmalade go.....but you're right about the Footy Show format.....it's tired and well passed it's 'used by' date.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I have suspicion the dust up between Eddie & Barrett may've been due to Damien Barrett breaking the Sam Murray ASADA drug story on his Facebook instead of the previous evening on the Footy Show as a exclusive.

The Footy Show is neither a funny or serious footy content show (tries to be both, but fails miserably). IMO, it needs to focus on one or the other with a completely new format. Ch 9 already have Footy Classified as the serious show, maybe that can be morphed into the new Footy Show so that viewers can choose between a serious or comedy (Front Bar) show on Thursday nights.
    No fan of Barrett but shouldn't have to pay because Of Mcguire's conflict of interest of which there are many. Disgrace and never called out once in the Melbourne media.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Funny that.....it works fantastically well on higher rating 'The Front Bar' and the Footy Show's demise really started all the way back when they let comedian Trevor Marmalade go.....but you're right about the Footy Show format.....it's tired and well passed it's 'used by' date.
    Anyone that watches the footy show for its 'footy content' needs their head read in my opinion to check for brain damage :P Has been terrible on that side for years. And the comedy aspect just ain't funny. Front Bar for comedy/lighter look at footy if thats what you want, or Mangrook on SBS for a proper footy show about the actual footy, without the VFL overtures.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Anyone that watches the footy show for its 'footy content' needs their head read in my opinion to check for brain damage :P Has been terrible on that side for years. And the comedy aspect just ain't funny. Front Bar for comedy/lighter look at footy if thats what you want, or Mangrook on SBS for a proper footy show about the actual footy, without the VFL overtures.
    About the only reason that I can come up with for watching the Footy Show, is that Sam Newman is an exemplary case study on how narcissists don't age well.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Even though I started this thread I agree with the above.
    I never watched it 'live' but recorded it to watch at a later date (if I could be bothered). Half the time I fast forwarded the majority of it anyway. Will not even record from now on.

I think you might be right there. I used to watch and remember Trev being OK. Disclaimer: he is an ex-neighbour I often bumped into at the local and the TAB. My understanding from bar-room chatter is that he walked on principle because Eddie offered everyone big pay-rises but wanted to reduce his earn.

Sadly, Trevor, who I think is quite funny (in person and in character), has barely plied his trade since.

Wow. I see the Footy show on at times. If it's close to the end I sometimes have a look because the Swans game is/was seemingly always the last game they review, regardless of when they are playing.
    The show is @@@@.
    I quite years before Eddie first left.
    I like Garry Lyon, but wasn't prepared to give it another go, as it was the same old format that was already dated back then.

Marngrook is ok, but a bit boring.

The Front Bar is probably the best. I should make more effort to catch that.
    Great mix of humor and footy talk.

Talking Footy had Luke Darcy, which is a shame because I like Carey and liked Watson etc

Footy Classified was usually my go to, but when Garry moved on they got a bit lost
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

For anyone that’s had enough of the commentary in games here’s the solution

Sony home theatre system puts you at the game without the commentators

Veterans List
    Did anyone notice this yesterday? I guess the Footy Show ratings might go up but I doubt it.

Sam Newman says goodbye ... or did he? - AFL.com.au

I pray it's true.......and about time!

Did anyone notice this yesterday? I guess the Footy Show ratings might go up but I doubt it.

Sam Newman says goodbye ... or did he? - AFL.com.au

I pray it's true.......and about time!
    Yeah I read that & saw clip of Newman's farewell speech, but it's based on the "off chance" the Footy Show doesn't return next season as no decision has been made yet whether it will. Sam took it as an opportunity to do so.

Haven't watched the show since Newman called Goodes a "jerk" and the audience clapping in agreeance.

Veterans List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12