Thread: 2018 Rising Star

Veteran Site Admin

2018 Rising Star

Congratulations to Stephenson for taking out this year's AFL Rising Star award. I don't think his victory was in doubt but now it's confirmed.

Congratulations, also, to our two nominees for each scoring some of the minor votes from judges. Florent finished equal 5th with 10 votes, while Ronke picked up a couple of votes.

The final vote tally was as follows:

1st Jaidyn Stephenson (Collingwood) - 52 votes
    2nd Tom Doedee (Adelaide) - 42 votes
    3rd Alex Witherden (Brisbane) - 32 votes
    ​4th Jack Higgins (Richmond) - 11 votes
    5th Jack Henry (Geelong) - 10 votes
    5th Oliver Florent (Sydney) - 10 votes
    7th Cam Rayner (Brisbane) - 4 votes
    8th Ben Ronke (Sydney) - 2 votes
    9th Aaron Francis (Essendon) - one vote
    9th Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs) - one vote

I am surprised Rayner didn't poll more votes. He took a while to get going but his second half of the season was very very good (better than most of the players on this list). I have little doubt he'll land up a better player than Higgins, for example (comparison picked just because of the similarity in where they played this season).

Richards' season was also probably worthy of more than a single vote.

Fabulous that we have two little guns in the top 10.
    Well done kids.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Fabulous that we have two little guns in the top 10.
    Well done kids.
    Of all the rising star names on the list I would choose.....hmmm..yes that guy that got zero votes. That's right Mr Tom McCartin!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regular in the Side
    Pretty hard for Tom McCartin to get a vote if he was not nominated as a weekly winner. Likewise Will Hayward.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Pretty hard for Tom McCartin to get a vote if he was not nominated as a weekly winner. Likewise Will Hayward.
    Hayward wasn't eligible this year as he'd played too many games by the start of the year. He did get nominated last year (as did Melican, who also picked up one minor vote in the final count. Last year's voting was a lot more concentrated than this year, with McGrath, Burton, SPP and Curnow attracting votes from every judge, with Hipwood, Phillips, SPS and Melican featuring in the scraps.)

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    My point here, is that all of this first year players, I believe McCartin will be the best! In my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    My point here, is that all of this first year players, I believe McCartin will be the best! In my humble opinion.
    Our McCartin is the youngest player in the league and done ok for a KPF who normally take some time. Has the hands and mobility to be very good, an inspired pick :-)

Brilliant recruiting taking him last year as the youngest player. Would certainly have been in top 10 this years draft. From memory George Hewitt was also a young recruit, so the club has done extremely well with these picks.

Regular in the Side
    If you take Rising Star nominations as a measure as to how well a team is recruiting then in an 18 team competition with twenty-three nominatioins,two nominations could be classed as doing well, one as average and none as not doing so well. This year we had eight teams with two nominations, seven with one and three with none. The three with none were Melbourne, North Melbourne and most worryingly Gold Coast. One would have expected Gold Coast with all their high draft picks to have several potential Rising Star nominations yet looking at their list it is hard to see anyone who could feel justifyingly hard done by by missing out. To me it suggests Gold Coast are not drafting well e.g. Will Powell a surprise selection last year.

By comparison I think Sydney are doing very well considering their lack of high draft selections with Florent and Ronke doing well in the votes.

Kinnear Beetson is a genius.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

To me it suggests Gold Coast are not drafting well e.g. Will Powell a surprise selection last year.

By comparison I think Sydney are doing very well considering their lack of high draft selections with Florent and Ronke doing well in the votes.
    Player development also plays a big part. Players like Weitering & Billings for example would be better players at a club with a superior development program (such as ours with mentors like McVeigh, Parker, Rampe, Hanners, Kennedy, Buddy, Jack etc...).