Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy father's day!

Veterans List

Happy father's day!

Have been reliving one of my all time favourite Father's Days by rewatching the 2003 Qualifying Final vs Port in Adelaide. What a win! Surely one of Goodesy's all time great performances.

A heck of a team, maybe short on superstars besides Goodes and Hall (Mickey O was injured as I recall) but so many great footballers - Williams, Cresswell (who was outstanding), Maxfield, Barry, Bolton, Kirk (who was unbelievable), and many more. Bottom 6 was so so, but man-for-man surely one of our greatest teams. Schneider was quite extraordinary as a teenager.

Anyway RWO fathers, however you're choosing to spend your day, I hope there is a little red & white cheer in there somewhere!

Thanks G, there have been some amazing wins over the years.

Mrs HP took me out to brekkie at WOLF (kids are taking us to Billy Kwongs for dinner). Wolf is a grouse Cafe at Dural (with lovely live music, young couple, but they had never heard of Mr Bojangles, they didn’t play SC however).

Then we went to Ray Necri’s remarkable Bonsai empire nearby and his (long listening) wife Sussanah. Well worth a visit, they bought the acreage in 1979 and what Ray knows about Bonsai is comparable to what Liz knows about Aussie Rules.
    Immense array of very old, mature and knarled examples of this intriguing past time. Getting Ray to start talking is a doddle, getting him to stop is difficult.

Then Mrs HP suddenly gets an allergic reaction to some unknown substance or insect. A reaction is immediate, red, itchy and panicky (these reactions can render you in grave danger really quickly) so needing urgent medication (left it home - goose !).
    Sussanah locates some anti-histimine and we belt home to get main medication check blood pressure etc. She’s a nurse , knows the drill.

All good. But no footy on Fathers Day. Bummer.

Yeah, I'm spending my day without football.

And I now really hate this bye week.
    It really diminished any flow and build up to the finals.
    Next week it will be "about time" rather than "here we go!"
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I just watched the 2012 GF again.
    Reg, AJ, Kennedy, Parker as the sub, buddy, Lots of current day players.
    Great game

"Cometh the moment, cometh the champion" still gives me goosebumps.

I’m stuck here in Adelaide, dear dad is semi-retired up in Far North Queensland (still a Swans supporter though). So we’re both sitting overlooking our respective beach views on lovely sunny days, eating lunch while Face Timing so we can see each other and each other’s views. A Fathers’ Day lunch, 3109 km apart, but as close as ever!
    Happy Fathers’ Day RWO

Two of my kids are running around the house in their Swans colours - kicking a soft ball up and down the hallways.

I re-watched most of last week’s game this morning. We dominated that game and really should have won. Newman looked good for much of the contest, but his inability to kick on his right foot really hurt us at critical times. He needs to find another option when in tight or closing space (maybe a long handball).

I watched some classic highlights of the Swans last night too. A week off is a blessing and a curse it would seem.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I just watched the 2012 GF again.
    Reg, AJ, Kennedy, Parker as the sub, buddy, Lots of current day players.
    Great game

"Cometh the moment, cometh the champion" still gives me goosebumps.
    Bought the DVD of the 2005 game on the Monday after.Played it so many times I could have called the whole game. Best commentator quote deep in the last quarter by Tim Lane: "Old bloods fans have waited a lifetime. Their team leads by 4 points, and time is running out for the West Coast Eagles."

Agree with Barry re 2012. Great game and got a huge kick out of it.

Senior Player
    Just got back from a couple days in Tassy. Lots of Hawthorn jumpers wandering around. They even let a couple of
    them into MONA. Quite disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Just got back from a couple days in Tassy. Lots of Hawthorn jumpers wandering around. They even let a couple of
    them into MONA. Quite disturbing.
    Are you sure that they weren't an exhibit?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Are you sure that they weren't an exhibit?
    Come to think of it, not really. You wouldn't put it past David Walsh to acquire a couple of them for the collection.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Bought the DVD of the 2005 game on the Monday after.Played it so many times I could have called the whole game. Best commentator quote deep in the last quarter by Tim Lane: "Old bloods fans have waited a lifetime. Their team leads by 4 points, and time is running out for the West Coast Eagles."

Agree with Barry re 2012. Great game and got a huge kick out of it.
    Just pondering past games, the 2016 GF still irks me. The Bulldogs were ordinary before the finals series and have been an ordinary team since missing 2 finals series. Looking at the 2016 team only Bontempelli, Mccrae and Johnanssen are still playing good footy. Look at all that have struggled since..Hamling, Biggs,Hunter, Picken, Dickson, Boyd, smith, Roughead, liberatore ,Cordy. And somehave been just OK. Wood, Morris, Dahlhaus, stringer, Dunkley, McLean.Boyd retired. In my eyes they were not a premiership team worthy of winning a GF. Something does not feel quite right to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Just pondering past games, the 2016 GF still irks me. The Bulldogs were ordinary before the finals series and have been an ordinary team since missing 2 finals series. Looking at the 2016 team only Bontempelli, Mccrae and Johnanssen are still playing good footy. Look at all that have struggled since..Hamling, Biggs,Hunter, Picken, Dickson, Boyd, smith, Roughead, liberatore ,Cordy. And somehave been just OK. Wood, Morris, Dahlhaus, stringer, Dunkley, McLean.Boyd retired. In my eyes they were not a premiership team worthy of winning a GF. Something does not feel quite right to me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stevic (9), Meredith (21), Jeffery (29)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast