Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Grand Final revisited

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

2005 Grand Final revisited

The Don’t Argue podcast this week revisited the 2005 premiership with guests Leo Barry, Ben Mathews and Ashley Hansen

Available on iTunes or your favourite podcast app. Also available link below

2005 Grand Final Special with Leo Barry, Ben Mathews & Ash Hansen - Ep 47 - Don't Argue AFL Podcast - Omny.fm

Note: Podcast is sponsored by a betting company.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The Don’t Argue podcast this week revisited the 2005 premiership with guests Leo Barry, Ben Mathews and Ashley Hansen

Available on iTunes or your favourite podcast app. Also available link below

2005 Grand Final Special with Leo Barry, Ben Mathews & Ash Hansen - Ep 47 - Don't Argue AFL Podcast - Omny.fm

Note: Podcast is sponsored by a betting company.
    Special memories. I was down the punt road end and had trouble seeing what was going on for the last few minutes. There was a very important, slight hold but legal, by Fosdike in the last minute to slow down an Eagle running towards a loose ball in thew goal square. Barry also had a couple of special moments other than THAT last mark.

Classic Last Two Mins: 2005 Grand Final - AFL.com.au

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    What a great insight. I did have trouble distinguishing who voice was who's to start with though.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    I've been revisiting 2005 too, with some stats friends.

Fascinating trivia: how many times in V/AFL history would you guess that the same 22 players have played together on a team?

Answer: only 5, twice. Five games for Adelaide in 2016, and five games for Sydney in 2005. The Sydney games were rounds 19-22 and the QF. That run was broken when Bevan came in for Vogels.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I've been revisiting 2005 too, with some stats friends.

Fascinating trivia: how many times in V/AFL history would you guess that the same 22 players have played together on a team?

Answer: only 5, twice. Five games for Adelaide in 2016, and five games for Sydney in 2005. The Sydney games were rounds 19-22 and the QF. That run was broken when Bevan came in for Vogels.
    Presumably you mean the longest streak of an unchanged side? Many teams go unchanged from week to week, and hence are instances of the same 22 players playing together on the same team.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The insights by Barry and Mathews were enjoyable, but the one comment that stuck in my head came from Hansen. He said that he used the image of Tadhg Kennelly's jig on the dais as motivation in the following pre-season - to push that little bit more, to stick to a cleaner diet etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The insights by Barry and Mathews were enjoyable, but the one comment that stuck in my head came from Hansen. He said that he used the image of Tadhg Kennelly's jig on the dais as motivation in the following pre-season - to push that little bit more, to stick to a cleaner diet etc.
    Pity some of his team mates didn't have a cleaner diet that year as well.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Presumably you mean the longest streak of an unchanged side? Many teams go unchanged from week to week, and hence are instances of the same 22 players playing together on the same team.
    No, 5 is the most instances of the same 22 in a team, regardless of whether it was a continuous streak or not. Confirmed by 2 of us, so it must be true

Team mates playing together

Seems low at first, but when you consider that most teams pick up at least one injury per week, it is difficult to get the same 22 together over extended periods of time.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    That seems outrageously low! Are there parameters on that, ie within the same season?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Looking at the stats seems like all time most. I would never have guessed anything like 5
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    That seems outrageously low! Are there parameters on that, ie within the same season?
    As it happens, the two instances of 5 were in the same seasons (2005, 2016). But that was not a limitation.

This is a great stat isn't it, it's very counter-intuitive and makes people say "that can't be right" but we're pretty certain it is.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    As it happens, the two instances of 5 were in the same seasons (2005, 2016). But that was not a limitation.

This is a great stat isn't it, it's very counter-intuitive and makes people say "that can't be right" but we're pretty certain it is.
    Yes, a very interesting stat. And I can probably see why it's right.
    With the same team occurring in the same season, it's highly unlikely that a same side would run out next season. For instance, if a team plays 22 games in a season, and for argument sake, 18 of those teams contained a player who was later traded, and the other four line ups contained a player who then retired; then there is zero chance of the same line up running out next season.
    And since it's a while since I've done much probability, perhaps you'd like to refresh my understanding. Just using a list number of 40, would the probability of randomly selecting the same side in two different weeks be: (22/40) x (21/39) x (20/38)....etc.... x (1/19)?? Which eventually gives a tiny chance (if that's the correct calculation).
    While I know that teams aren't selected randomly, it does help to suggest why the stat is correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast