Thread: Mark and Goal of the year......vote for Heeney and Parks!

Veterans List

Mark and Goal of the year......vote for Heeney and Parks!

Well, our club has a nominee in both categories.....Isaac for Mark of the Year and Luke for Goal of the year.

Let's give our boys the best winning chance and vote for them here:

Have your say on goal and mark of the year - AFL.com.au

I, for one, don't want to see Richmond's Jack Higgins win GOTY after he blatantly thew the ball to himself before kicking it through! Great effort but it should have been a free to Collingwood. As for MOTY, Isaac's to me is far more spectacular than the other two, although they are also fine marks and the crowd reaction to Heeney's grab adds to it's impact.

Make sure you vote.....Go Swans!!

I'm staggered Aaron Fancis mark against Port in R23 didn't make the final 3! Thought it would be close between his & Heeney's for MOTY. Anyway I've voted for Heeney & Parker.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I'm staggered Aaron Fancis mark against Port in R23 didn't make the final 3! Thought it would be close between his & Heeney's for MOTY. Anyway I've voted for Heeney & Parker.
    Agree. Didn’t know it hadn’t been nominated until I read your post. Maybe it’s punishment of Essendon fans for voting Daniher’s mark as the winner last year. (Though I was surprised by the uproar last year when it won. I didn’t think there was anything in it between that mark and the Howe mark.)

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I dont get the narrative about Higgins goal being a throw.

How is it any different (read: worse) from a player dropping the ball mid tackle and getting a toe on it to avoid a HTB/ Incorrect disposal?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Senior Player
    I genuinely think Heeney's is by far the most spectacular and I'm in no way biased.

Just cannot decide re: Higgins. First time I saw it, I was sure it was a throw. But having read how throws are defined and with many viewings, I think there's an argument that the action is not so different from throwing it onto your own boot for any kick.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    If Higgins is a throw then so is Parkers imo
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I dont get the narrative about Higgins goal being a throw.

How is it any different (read: worse) from a player dropping the ball mid tackle and getting a toe on it to avoid a HTB/ Incorrect disposal?
    It's just my opinion.....wasn't setting up a debate. Besides, it's not as good a goal as Parks anyway as Luke kicked his out of mid air from a fumble, not by tapping/throwing it to himself. BTW, when a player drops the ball but gets a boot to it before it hits the ground, it's correctly called a kick.....because it is.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I genuinely think Heeney's is by far the most spectacular and I'm in no way biased.

Just cannot decide re: Higgins. First time I saw it, I was sure it was a throw. But having read how throws are defined and with many viewings, I think there's an argument that the action is not so different from throwing it onto your own boot for any kick.
    Geez, it's no wonder umpires are so pathetic.....sorry if that sounds harsh but to this aging former footy player, that logic is just mind boggling.....anyway, just vote for our boys!

How can it be a throw when he was never in clean possession of it.....he fumbled it, which is what makes his reflex kick through the sticks even more brilliant. I say again, just vote for our boys..... Loyalty over logic......or maybe lack of it.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think you're probably right.

I went and voted for Parker because I'm biased. I also voted for Heeney because I'm biased but also because it's simply the best.

I think Higgins will probably win, as will Heeney. I see they've changed the voting method this year to make the public opinion close to worthless. We still think we have a say but the combined public votes will now have just 1/11th weighting in the final determinations, with the other 10/11 to be determined by "experts".

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We still think we have a say but the combined public votes will now have just 1/11th weighting in the final determinations, with the other 10/11 to be determined by "experts".
    ‘Experts’ who definitely won’t allow both awards to be won by Swans’ players.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I see they've changed the voting method this year to make the public opinion close to worthless. We still think we have a say but the combined public votes will now have just 1/11th weighting in the final determinations, with the other 10/11 to be determined by "experts".
    I didn't realise that but I understand why it has happened........although that set up is still risky. Wasn't it the experts who judged Andrew Krakouer's mark better than Andrew Walker's absolute screamer? I reckon a 50/50 split between the public vote and the 'expert' vote would be fairer.....as with what is now a 91/9 split, the public may as well not vote. .....but we should all still vote for our boys anyway!