Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals week one

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Hawks missed some very gettable shots that would have had them in the hunt.

Can’t expect to win without slotting them from 20 straight in front.

Having said that the Tigers had a sense of inevitability about them, they just kept steamrolling forward. Watching the game earlier in the year against us they always seemed to have a player loose off the pack in the right spot to whisk the ball away. They’re a well drilled team that’s for sure.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Tell me, is it wrong to watch a game, largely hoping for injuries and suspensions?
    No, not at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    He learnt a lot playing in the 2016 GF.
    Hehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I said it then and I'll say it again, Mitchell should have played that match. Horse screwed up big time that GF; firstly with selections, secondly with structure and match ups. Horse is a terrible match day coach and tha day proved it.
    one of our best that day??

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I said it then and I'll say it again, Mitchell should have played that match. Horse screwed up big time that GF; firstly with selections, secondly with structure and match ups. Horse is a terrible match day coach and tha day proved it.
    26 touches and 13 tackles. Fair to say he played that day

Senior Player
    Mitchell did pretty well, 26 touches, 2 goals. But what really impressed a lot of people was the Bulldogs incredible adherence
    to the rules of the game under the intense pressure of playing in GF and only gave away eight free kicks for the entire game.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Mitchell did pretty well, 26 touches, 2 goals. But what really impressed a lot of people was the Bulldogs incredible adherence
    to the rules of the game under the intense pressure of playing in GF and only gave away eight free kicks for the entire game.
    ....and the fact that we were absolute thugs that day in giving away twenty free kicks......what an undisciplined effort it was by our boys.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Yes, a wonderfully disciplined performance by the Bulldogs. A superb effort for 22 footballers to transgress just 8 times over the course of a whole game, and a GF at that!!
    Completely undertandable that they haven't been able to reproduce what was almost the perfect game.
    Last edited by Sandridge; 7th September 2018 at 12:38 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Yes, a wonderfully disciplined performance by the Bulldogs. A superb effort for 22 footballers to transgress just 8 times over the course of a whole game, and a GF at that!!
    Completely undertandable that they haven't been able to reproduce what was almost the perfect game.
    Yes, it was the culmination of an incredible four weeks of the 2016 finals series where their discipline and dare I say it, reverence for
    the rules of game meant they only erred a total of 45 times compared to their unruly opponents giving away a combined total of
    79 free kicks over those four games. When it comes to concepts like fairness, honour and respect for the rules of the game, that
    month of their play two years ago is the benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    Hawks missed some very gettable shots that would have had them in the hunt.

Can’t expect to win without slotting them from 20 straight in front.

Having said that the Tigers had a sense of inevitability about them, they just kept steamrolling forward. Watching the game earlier in the year against us they always seemed to have a player loose off the pack in the right spot to whisk the ball away. They’re a well drilled team that’s for sure.
    It's because they don't over commit to the contest. They trust their teammates to do their job. How often did I see Hawthorn have two players go for a mark only to spoil each other. Or two players both commit to a contested possession. Where Richmond would commit one with a team mate standing by to take possession and propel them forward. Thats why they always seem to have a free player. Swans are also often guilty of over committing numbers to the ball. Drives me crazy. Usually both players end up out of the contest resulting in the opposition catching us on the counter.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    It's because they don't over commit to the contest. They trust their teammates to do their job. How often did I see Hawthorn have two players go for a mark only to spoil each other. Or two players both commit to a contested possession. Where Richmond would commit one with a team mate standing by to take possession and propel them forward. Thats why they always seem to have a free player. Swans are also often guilty of over committing numbers to the ball. Drives me crazy. Usually both players end up out of the contest resulting in the opposition catching us on the counter.
    Very good observation. Confidence in the game plan and trust in team mates to stick to that game plan are the single biggest assets a team can have, IMO. The Geelong team of the late noughties had it in buckets, which enabled their players to play high risk footy. (It helped that they had a lot of players with the skill to execute.) The Swans had it to some degree in 2012, which enable them to apply huge pressure (in 2012-terms) to knock off the more fancied teams. The Hawks most certainly had it, and now the Tigers do too.

The thing I've noticed this year about Richmond is how much their skills have improved since last year. I watched the 2017 QF between Richmond and Geelong and wasn't impressed by either team. Richmond's pressure was fantastic but their ball use was ordinary and they were lucky that the Cats weren't able to take advantage of their periods of dominance. The Tigers' skill level improved somewhat as the 2017 finals went on, but it's gone to a whole new level in 2018. I daresay a lot of that comes with confidence. The rest of us just have to hope that it tips over to over-confidence in the not too distant future, and they stop doing the little things that make them such a formidable team at the moment.
    Last edited by liz; 7th September 2018 at 02:08 PM.

Finals week one

Agree with both FS & Liz.

Last year Richmond seemed to me to be almost accidental premiers, the last team standing when the music stopped. But this year they have looked the real deal. Hard to pinpoint where the improvement came from - but I agree that high levels of confidence & trust in other players seem to have a lot to do with it.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Agree with both FS & Liz.

Last year Richmond seemed to me to be almost accidental premiers, the last team standing when the music stopped. But this year they have looked the real deal. Hard to pinpoint where the improvement came from - but I agree that high levels of confidence & trust in other players seem to have a lot to do with it.
    Besides their undoubted talent, their supreme confidence in their team mates to have their back and the fact that, as a result, they are loving playing the game at the moment.....makes for a powerful combination of positives. I can't see them being beaten or endangering that by becoming overconfident as the years of being 'almost' I suspect helps keep them humble and grounded in reality......our team doesn't have that supreme confidence in one another at the moment but we will I believe, very soon.

Add to that, the fact that Richmond, like all the Vic teams, know that the AFL have their back, a luxury no interstate team, especially the Swans, are afforded. That's yet another layer of confidence for the Tigers......but good luck to them, they have persevered through tough times and are undoubtedly the best team at the moment.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast