Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Season....Still Proud of the Swans!!!!(Swans' season review)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    "PS I am interested in how you came to follow the Swans so closely given you are a born and bred Yank."

Since you asked, Scottee, I will give you the honest, lame truth. I am in college and see at the back of a software magazine from ea sports something called "AFL 99" for the pc. I buy it on a whim and am blown away...it's so weird but awesome! I then go to a grand final party and get involved in a league of six teams within two states...imagine a bunch of Americans pretending to play Aussie Rules with 11 a side and a few natural Aussies coaching and laughing at us. We did have a few ex-AFLers participate and Paul Roos even came out to talk to us. I eventually became hooked. Our teams were sponsored by actual AFL teams and they would post our local scores at the end of a weekly AFL match on a local station called Fox Sports World at the time. We thought we were the bomb! Nowadays, thanks to Watchafl….I get every game live-stream for about $150 U.S. It is fantastic but my girlfriend is sick of me yelling at the TV at 3 a.m. on a work night! Why the Swans? I am afraid it is the lamest of reasons. Hockey is my first love and my team is the Red Wings...Red and White. That's it. That's how they got picked. But I have been following them for 20 years since and never miss a game!

As an aside, for four years, I have gotten everyone in my office to pick a team to cheer for and I post weekly scores and updates. They don't understand the sport but people love having something to cheer for. It's great when someone who never heard of AFL before says "did you see that play by Nic Nat?" I will be having my annual grand final party where about 50 people come (mainly for the meat pies) but it is a good time. Just doing my part to spread Aussie Rules around the world!
    Great story, mate.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Very realistic and positive post with information and facts which I can’t disagree with. Unfortunately Sydney were smashed , dismantled and dissected tonight and I can’t help but feel psychologically this will have an impact for years to come .
    .....but our players are mentally stronger than you. Have some faith.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I agree with the idea of trying to be positive - and the Swans have been a wonderful club to support. But there has been an increasing trend away from a 'never-give-up' attitude over recent years in finals (2014 GF perhaps being the starting point). Perhaps that is just the nature of a cut-throat game, but they don't seem to steel themselves for the biggest games like I would expect.
    So the three wins after the GC and Essendon losses showed no 'steel'.....everyone had us missing the finals after those losses and we then beat GWS, Melbourne and Collingwood.....three teams that are still in the finals. I actually think tiredness in a year of many injuries was what caught up with us yesterday.....and mental fatigue will always sap physical 'steel'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post

PS I am interested in how you came to follow the Swans so closely given you are a born and bred Yank.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    The internet is a wonderful thing........oh, 'came' to follow. I'll leave that to US Swan......

We have never been a great wet weather side, and it seemed most of our home games were at night when the dew is like rain. That may explain our poor form at home.
    Regarding the final, it's just bad timing. We put almost our worse side out there, while GWS put out nearly their best (for 2018).

My concern is that we have been thrashed in a few finals now, including 2014 GF. That seems un-bloods like.

These motto/mission statements like “never tear us apart” , ‘shinboner spirit’ , ‘flying high’ , ‘buying into the bloods’ can bite you on the backside when eventually yr team hits the wall when it’s their turn to fade and another team to flourish .
    Getting to and then turning up in finals is so important for the club, the sponsors, the merchandising, memberships, turning a profit, the mindset for the next year.
    Then again maybe it changes the recruiting mindset to see more clearly what’s needed to go again.
    The trouble for the club is , gee, we’ve seen some pretty ordinary football at the SCG this year (notwithstanding the gutsy wins away) .
    There are many in the football dept, in the boardroom etc who won’t be very happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    So the three wins after the GC and Essendon losses showed no 'steel'
    They were great. So were the games last year, after the horror start (perhaps the most excited I have been watching the club play). So was 2014, until the biggest test. That is the point that I am making. If we had not shown much over the course of the last five years, I would not have expected any better. The problem is we have shown a considerable amount over the journey, but these inexplicable defeats in big finals appear out of the blue. Being beaten is one thing, having your worst game for the year at the business end is another.

I don't think anyone really has any answers at this point, but the worry is that what was once considered inconceivable is now a consideration moving forward - and it needs to be addressed.

Veterans List
    I think we suffered this year because our team line up had no consistency. Every week we had changes and it was normally more than one. There was lack of cohesion because of this. Compare this to Richmond whose players know exactly what each other is going to do.

Add to this the fact that Buddy couldn't participate in training which meant the other forwards and midfield couldn't practice drills and set plays. I don't think it's a coincidence that when Buddy was able to train for 3 weeks we started playing better and beat Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS. (I know Buddy wasn't the only reason but he certainly helped).

We can't forget the injuries to important players. Yes I know every team gets them but it's hard to win a premiership without having a healthy list like Richmond has had for 2 years.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    .....but our players are mentally stronger than you. Have some faith.....
    I think you will find that my faith in the Swans has always been and will continue to be strong. I hope to be proved wrong but the players are human and over the next few seasons whenever they face the Giants thoughts of this game will emerge. The key will be how well they handle and harness those thoughts

Senior Player
    Good post with many good points.

I have mixed feelings at the end of this season. First, there are always the "what ifs". Fully-fit Buddy, Naismith and Reid not injured, Mills in the side - you'd think that would be a quite different structure. Would it translate to more goals and wins? who knows.

I have really enjoyed watching Hayward and Florent build on last year, Heeney mature, Allir come back and some great moments from youngsters like Ronke and McCartin. And of course, Buddy kicking booming goals from 50+.

The 9/11 wins away versus 5/11 home was a bit strange but as my daughter pointed out, a win is a win.

All that said, I feel like the team never quite "gelled" this year. I guess the dynamics of organisations change over time, with personnel changes and perhaps they're going through a period where things are just not quite working as well as they could be. Certainly there have been moments this year that I and others would call "un-Swans-like". The Suns loss was one, the GWS final last night another. When we say "where is the Bloods spirit?" - well, maybe the answer is that was the mid/late 2000s Swans. Now we have something new and different and perhaps not quite fully-formed yet.

It's also been very apparent to me this season how slow we look moving the ball, compared with teams like Richmond, Melbourne or Adelaide.

So in summary: I think we did surprisingly well this year given the circumstances, but there is plenty to address. Hope they come back fit, fired-up, with a few new ideas and I'm looking forward to going around again next year.

No doubt I have my doubts about some coaching and game 'plans', but even our injuries and inexperience the Swans have provided heaps of great entertainment and unlikely wins. It was a terribly disappointing end to the season, but hopefully with this loss and other finals fade-outs there will be some genuine reforms to our style. The hard contested footy, that Longmire champions repeatedly, needs to be balanced with some concentration on attacking flair and skills. Even if its just to keep our older players performing near their best over a few more years.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Good post with many good points.

I have mixed feelings at the end of this season. First, there are always the "what ifs". Fully-fit Buddy, Naismith and Reid not injured, Mills in the side - you'd think that would be a quite different structure. Would it translate to more goals and wins? who knows.

I have really enjoyed watching Hayward and Florent build on last year, Heeney mature, Allir come back and some great moments from youngsters like Ronke and McCartin. And of course, Buddy kicking booming goals from 50+.

The 9/11 wins away versus 5/11 home was a bit strange but as my daughter pointed out, a win is a win.

All that said, I feel like the team never quite "gelled" this year. I guess the dynamics of organisations change over time, with personnel changes and perhaps they're going through a period where things are just not quite working as well as they could be. Certainly there have been moments this year that I and others would call "un-Swans-like". The Suns loss was one, the GWS final last night another. When we say "where is the Bloods spirit?" - well, maybe the answer is that was the mid/late 2000s Swans. Now we have something new and different and perhaps not quite fully-formed yet.

It's also been very apparent to me this season how slow we look moving the ball, compared with teams like Richmond, Melbourne or Adelaide.

So in summary: I think we did surprisingly well this year given the circumstances, but there is plenty to address. Hope they come back fit, fired-up, with a few new ideas and I'm looking forward to going around again next year.
    Some good points there. Something that has not been mentioned a lot is the new look coaching panel. This must have had a significant impact on the player group and it is to be expected that after some initial disruption the benefits would slowly start to appear. Dew was a big loss and clearly had a great relationship with a lot of the players, so in a sense he was a hard act to follow.

The improvement in Sinclair and Cameron can clearly be attributed to big Cox. The forwards and mids are harder to assess due to the injuries, so the jury is still out.

We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    "PS I am interested in how you came to follow the Swans so closely given you are a born and bred Yank."

Since you asked, Scottee, I will give you the honest, lame truth. I am in college and see at the back of a software magazine from ea sports something called "AFL 99" for the pc. I buy it on a whim and am blown away...it's so weird but awesome! I then go to a grand final party and get involved in a league of six teams within two states...imagine a bunch of Americans pretending to play Aussie Rules with 11 a side and a few natural Aussies coaching and laughing at us. We did have a few ex-AFLers participate and Paul Roos even came out to talk to us. I eventually became hooked. Our teams were sponsored by actual AFL teams and they would post our local scores at the end of a weekly AFL match on a local station called Fox Sports World at the time. We thought we were the bomb! Nowadays, thanks to Watchafl….I get every game live-stream for about $150 U.S. It is fantastic but my girlfriend is sick of me yelling at the TV at 3 a.m. on a work night! Why the Swans? I am afraid it is the lamest of reasons. Hockey is my first love and my team is the Red Wings...Red and White. That's it. That's how they got picked. But I have been following them for 20 years since and never miss a game!

As an aside, for four years, I have gotten everyone in my office to pick a team to cheer for and I post weekly scores and updates. They don't understand the sport but people love having something to cheer for. It's great when someone who never heard of AFL before says "did you see that play by Nic Nat?" I will be having my annual grand final party where about 50 people come (mainly for the meat pies) but it is a good time. Just doing my part to spread Aussie Rules around the world!
    Thanks U.S. Swan. Great to see your passion for our game. I think a lot of our supporters overlook how well our game compares to others and the global potential it has if well managed, though it's appeal has been diminished by some small minded parochialism in the AFL establishment and some poor direction in the administration of the rules ( sorry about the little rant).

Anyway, keep enjoying.

We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast