Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Season....Still Proud of the Swans!!!!(Swans' season review)

Shut up US Swan!!!
    I hate it when people make sense in this place.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    "PS I am interested in how you came to follow the Swans so closely given you are a born and bred Yank."

Since you asked, Scottee, I will give you the honest, lame truth. I am in college and see at the back of a software magazine from ea sports something called "AFL 99" for the pc. I buy it on a whim and am blown away...it's so weird but awesome! I then go to a grand final party and get involved in a league of six teams within two states...imagine a bunch of Americans pretending to play Aussie Rules with 11 a side and a few natural Aussies coaching and laughing at us. We did have a few ex-AFLers participate and Paul Roos even came out to talk to us. I eventually became hooked. Our teams were sponsored by actual AFL teams and they would post our local scores at the end of a weekly AFL match on a local station called Fox Sports World at the time. We thought we were the bomb! Nowadays, thanks to Watchafl….I get every game live-stream for about $150 U.S. It is fantastic but my girlfriend is sick of me yelling at the TV at 3 a.m. on a work night! Why the Swans? I am afraid it is the lamest of reasons. Hockey is my first love and my team is the Red Wings...Red and White. That's it. That's how they got picked. But I have been following them for 20 years since and never miss a game!

As an aside, for four years, I have gotten everyone in my office to pick a team to cheer for and I post weekly scores and updates. They don't understand the sport but people love having something to cheer for. It's great when someone who never heard of AFL before says "did you see that play by Nic Nat?" I will be having my annual grand final party where about 50 people come (mainly for the meat pies) but it is a good time. Just doing my part to spread Aussie Rules around the world!
    L.O.V.E.
    Love.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Well what a turbulent season that was. Regardless of the disappointing finish that was one of the most exciting seasons for a while. So many close games and hard fought comebacks, which showed real belief and hunger in the Swans. For us to win so many close games with such an inexperienced team is truly remarkable.

Up until round 15, with our loss to Richmond, I genuinely thought we were one of the best sides in the comp, and were worthy of a top 4 finish and a serious crack at it, but then we had a significant dip in the year, only to come back in the end. It was only really the GWS loss and GCS loss that made me think really poorly of the Swans. However our form at home needs to be seriously addressed next year. The games were we lost to North, the Crows and Power at home we looked really flat and unlike winning from the get go ... I have no answers to why this is.

In addition to our form at home, another major concern is our game plan, it is outdated and unflexible, but this has been mentioned here 1000s of times.

AFL surveyed Swans fans on the 2018 season: Dan no longer the man as Swans fans give their season verdict - AFL.com.au

Biggest flops of the year: Hanners (44%), Reid (25%), Rohan (8%)
    Best players: Parker, Lloyd, Heeney, Buddy, Sinkers
    69% still back Longmire
    Last edited by liz; 23rd September 2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Thread administration - no change to post

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    AFL surveyed Swans fans on the 2018 season: Dan no longer the man as Swans fans give their season verdict - AFL.com.au

Biggest flops of the year: Hanners (44%), Reid (25%), Rohan (8%)
    Best players: Parker, Lloyd, Heeney, Buddy, Sinkers
    69% still back Longmire
    That "highlighted" is how I voted.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Let’s be honest, we could’ve finished 12th and you still would’ve voted that way

Lots of nice loyal people in here, but having a winning team isn’t the biggest priority for some
    Last edited by liz; 23rd September 2018 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Thread administration - no change to post

Just out of curiosity how would you have voted?

Senior Player
    Same, except Parker rather than Lloyd.

Just out of curiosity how would you have voted?
    I would have voted the same, except Sinclair ahead of Heeney, who wasn’t quite right after his concussion. For all the criticism of the coaches, not many coaching panels would have got such an inexperienced and at times injury bedeviled team to the finals, let alone challenge for a top four position. It was clear that some of our young guys were cooked in the latter part of the season. Heeney needed a month off in his first year, remember.

Veterans List
    I was in New York so still haven't seen the GWS final. But the season ended as I expected. I came home after our loss to the Cats at the SCG saying "that was a waste of an evening watching two teams that aren't going to do much in finals" - and so it proved. Injuries are behind the greatest highlights for me - watching Ronke andMcCartin step up, for a start. But didn't we all know that the kids would get tired and that would be shown up in the furnace of finals?

We've got some good games into some up and comers. If we can keep a team on the field - and maybe recruit a surprise or two - we could have a great season next year. There were definitely more highlights than down times this season (excluding the tragedies of AJ and Rohan). And I'd still pay my membership simply to watch Buddy play - image if he can train over the next 12 months!

i think with collingwood and WC making the grand final and assumably one will win it, it proves that you dont need a great list to win a flag these days. A lot of people would have had pies and eagles missing the 8 at the start of the year.
    You just need things to gell at the right time.

Therefore, no point blaming the list. We didnt gell, and therefore didnt get close this year. And the only conclusion we can make is that we didnt make the most of our opportunities, so its a fail'.

Collingwood have a very talented and deep midfield, which they rotate forward, but beset by injuries, particularly in defence. I think the list they are playing with ATM is pretty strong. Didn’t Champion data rate them #1 at the start of the year.

West Coast used to have a poor midfield but have really stepped up this year. I believe under the influence of Sam Mitchell. They are now getting the best out of players like Jetta, Redden, Sheed etc.

Our year is definitely a fail. I think we need to improve across the board: list, skills, coaching, gameplan, fitness.

In the PFs both coaches significantly out-coached their opponents. Collingwood’s tactics in particular were genius.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast