Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Departures

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Hannebery has now also 'officially' requested a trade...Times are a changing at the Swans....

And IMO the head coach need to change his tactics and evolve with a new group...Or go the way of these others.
    You have nailed it there. Perhaps his option to do so was last year or the year before and he didn't take it....now the flow on effects are coming home to roost. I'd suggest a planned handover to Dew would have things in a better spot with the playing group.

I haven’t been a huge fan of Dan over the last couple of seasons. Slower. Poorer disposals. Can barely stick tackles. Struggling to break tackles. Forever hurt (or appearing hurt).

Gary, just hasn’t delivered on his potential.

But now that the realist is hitting in, I’m actually saddened by their pending departures.

They have been great servants of the Club. I hope they will hold the Swans close to their hearts and always remain in, & feel part of, the Swans family.

If they go, thanks for some amazing memories and for stellar careers as Bloods.

The thing the Swans have in the favour is the length of contracts the players are on. Because they’ll most likely go for draft picks to get some salary cap relief but can push for multiple instead of one etc.

Veterans List
    Even though I expected Hanners would be leaving it was sad to hear the confirmation. The same with Rohan.

It is strange for players under contract to want to leave the club. However it is understandable that Rohan and his wife would want to be closer to family after what they went through this year.

I found the quotes in the article on the swans site from both players interesting... "If an opportunity arises/comes up during the trade period".

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I found the quotes in the article on the swans site from both players interesting... "If an opportunity arises/comes up during the trade period".
    These statements were probably prepared in April and sitting in Harley's desk for the past 5 months. What everyone will say in public and when they will say it was decided some time ago. It's just good management, good business sense and good common sense.

The club usually doesn't leave too much to chance and likes to get things rolling as early as possible. Always good for planning purposes. Stories have since come out about just how long the Franklin deal was in the works. Tippett and Mitchell were also in the works well before the season ended.

This may well be true, and often is in big trades, but sometimes surprises are thrown at clubs that alter those conditions.

It is not as if the club or the players have said anything that would preclude them from reuniting if the best laid plans came unstuck.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    But now that the realist is hitting in, I’m actually saddened by their pending departures.

They have been great servants of the Club. I hope they will hold the Swans close to their hearts and always remain in, & feel part of, the Swans family.

If they go, thanks for some amazing memories and for stellar careers as Bloods.
    I feel the same. It's unfortunate that we're focused on post-2016-GF Hannebery, because he's been fantastic up to then. Seems like yesterday he was the fresh-faced rising star, barely out of school. I'd hoped he'd be a one-club player, but sounds like he has some stuff going on that he feels will be helped by a change.

Rohan is a favourite of mine. True, he hasn't lived up to his potential, especially in finals. But he's been through a lot for someone his age, and delivered some great highlights in clutch moments. It's well worth searching YouTube for his junior highlights, though you may weep a little for what could have been.

I hope if/when the deals are done, they both get appropriate tribute threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Even though I expected Hanners would be leaving it was sad to hear the confirmation. The same with Rohan.

It is strange for players under contract to want to leave the club. However it is understandable that Rohan and his wife would want to be closer to family after what they went through this year.

That wording is probably as much as providing a way for them to be reintegrated, should a trade not be successful in being secured - much like with O'Keefe and Bolton back in the day.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    That wording is probably as much as providing a way for them to be reintegrated, should a trade not be successful in being secured - much like with O'Keefe and Bolton back in the day.
    The wording has been designed to create the impression they might not be leaving. But they are both gorn!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    The wording has been designed to create the impression they might not be leaving. But they are both gorn!
    I know they are both more than likely gone. But St Kilda ain't got much to offer on the trade table - getting a deal done might be easier said than done. Its been seen before where players don't get the trade they want at the end of the day.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I know they are both more than likely gone. But St Kilda ain't got much to offer on the trade table - getting a deal done might be easier said than done. Its been seen before where players don't get the trade they want at the end of the day.
    The cynic in me wondered if the Saints would use the recruiting of Hanners to attract other recruits, and then not actually recruit him! I think a deal will get done.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I feel the same. It's unfortunate that we're focused on post-2016-GF Hannebery, because he's been fantastic up to then. Seems like yesterday he was the fresh-faced rising star, barely out of school. I'd hoped he'd be a one-club player, but sounds like he has some stuff going on that he feels will be helped by a change.

Rohan is a favourite of mine. True, he hasn't lived up to his potential, especially in finals. But he's been through a lot for someone his age, and delivered some great highlights in clutch moments. It's well worth searching YouTube for his junior highlights, though you may weep a little for what could have been.

I hope if/when the deals are done, they both get appropriate tribute threads here.
    IMHO Hanneberry & Rohan have eaten up too much cap space in comparison to their performance. 800k a year and he can't hit a mark for Hanners and the man that goes missing in finals Rohan. OK , very hard I know but look at how great our young players went this year , but to develop they need mature team mates that are showing by example.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast