Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Departures

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I feel the same. It's unfortunate that we're focused on post-2016-GF Hannebery, because he's been fantastic up to then. Seems like yesterday he was the fresh-faced rising star, barely out of school. I'd hoped he'd be a one-club player, but sounds like he has some stuff going on that he feels will be helped by a change.

Rohan is a favourite of mine. True, he hasn't lived up to his potential, especially in finals. But he's been through a lot for someone his age, and delivered some great highlights in clutch moments. It's well worth searching YouTube for his junior highlights, though you may weep a little for what could have been.

I hope if/when the deals are done, they both get appropriate tribute threads here.
    +1

I am sorry to say that I am glad to see Hannebery go. Most of my yelling at the tv this year has been over his consistently poor disposal, often leading to scores for the opposition. I am willing to acknowledge that he has been trying to be as hard at the ball as ever, but that only makes the result more disappointing. Pity, because I loved him as a rookie but his form has dropped significantly and is now a liability.

I also feel that he hasn't matured emotionally as he should have. When Buddy first came, the two of them were out behaving like "lads" and garnering bad publicity. Buddy has responded to the positive culture here, and combined with maturing life experiences, seems to have grown up. But Hanners seems stuck as an 18yo party boy, and it affects his play, and also the influence he has as a potentially "senior" player.

Gary Rohan, I am more ambiguous about. At his fittest, he is brilliant, and losing him would be a tragedy. But we haven't had enough consistency from him, and then the tragedy of this year means that I think that being home in Geelong is the best thing for him. While I hope he gets back to his best, I would prefer that it was not when we are playing the cats. The other worry is that while we take "dirty" players and make them "clean", Geelong's philosophy seems to be the opposite. I would hate to see Gary lose the Swan integrity.

The problem many are having with Hannerbery is his wage. At $800k, he is not the elite midfielder that wage demands.
    If he was on, say, $600k, I think many would be happy to keep him. He needs to get his body right, and swans fans are usually very patient about such things (Reid, AJ).

So dont blame Hannerbury for leaving, blame the administration that agreed to pay him overs which got us into this mess where we are offloading contracted players.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The problem many are having with Hannerbery is his wage. At $800k, he is not the elite midfielder that wage demands.
    If he was on, say, $600k, I think many would be happy to keep him. He needs to get his body right, and swans fans are usually very patient about such things (Reid, AJ).

So dont blame Hannerbury for leaving, blame the administration that agreed to pay him overs which got us into this mess where we are offloading contracted players.
    Agree with the first part.

Whether we were paying overs at the time? If he’d maintained his form, and not got injured in the 2016 GF, then the money he’s on would be right. We weren’t to know he’d fall off a cliff as a 26/27 year old. Look at the money being thrown at Polec, Gaff, Shiel etc.

Like many here, I have mixed emotions about the probable departures of Dan and Gary. In regards to Dan, prior to 2017 he was a genuine star of the game. He had elite running ability, a ferocious desire to get the ball and a never say die attitude. I don't think that we would have won the 2012 premiership without him. His goal early in the final quarter, was hugely important in wresting back momentum and instilling belief in the rest of the team. While in the 2016 GF, the Bulldogs only really started to get on top, once Dan was taken out.
    Unfortunately, he hasn't been the same player since then. Much of his running ability seems to have deserted him. Which is what I have found difficult to watch this year. While many of our players can really put a lot of chase down pressure on our opponents, with Dan, much of the time he was reduced to just being in the general vicinity of an opponent, while they got an easy escape.
    Which I think is the nub of things. If it's possible for Dan to get back to pre 2016 GF form; then it would be great to have a champion of the club to stay. On the other hand, if there is a chronic injury problem and that means he is unlikely to recapture peak form, then we should probably be grateful that another club might be offering an attractive trade.
    It's similar with Gary. Obviously there is a huge amount of talent and watching him at his best, can bring great enjoyment. But once again, injuries make him a doubtful proposition. It seems that every time that he was about to really fulfil his potential, he would find a new way to get injured and then it was back to the rehab group. Then there would be another period of regaining fitness and confidence, and as he was gaining momentum, we started to hope that he would finally have an extended period of high performance. But then it was, oh no, back to rehab.
    So much the same with Dan, if in the future, he has a long injury free period, then some of us might regret that he was traded. On the other hand, if you don't really believe that will happen, then the trade is appealing.
    Either way, I think both have busted a gut while they were here, having fully bought into the Swans culture, so I will certainly bear them no ill will if they do go.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

He's not up for trade because posters on a message board think their view on what he should be paid matters. He's up for trade for some or all of:
    - he wants to move to Melbourne for personal reasons
    - another club has offered him a contract extension that the Swans aren't willing to match
    - the club feels the need to change up its playing list

And is anyone "blaming" Hannebery? Many can't wait to see the back of him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's not up for trade because posters on a message board think their view on what he should be paid matters. He's up for trade for some or all of:
    - he wants to move to Melbourne for personal reasons
    - another club has offered him a contract extension that the Swans aren't willing to match
    - the club feels the need to change up its playing list

And is anyone "blaming" Hannebery? Many can't wait to see the back of him.
    what does the last quote mean ?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    what does the last quote mean ?
    Don't understand the question.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Like many here, I have mixed emotions about the probable departures of Dan and Gary. In regards to Dan, prior to 2017 he was a genuine star of the game. He had elite running ability, a ferocious desire to get the ball and a never say die attitude. I don't think that we would have won the 2012 premiership without him. His goal early in the final quarter, was hugely important in wresting back momentum and instilling belief in the rest of the team. While in the 2016 GF, the Bulldogs only really started to get on top, once Dan was taken out.
    Unfortunately, he hasn't been the same player since then. Much of his running ability seems to have deserted him. Which is what I have found difficult to watch this year. While many of our players can really put a lot of chase down pressure on our opponents, with Dan, much of the time he was reduced to just being in the general vicinity of an opponent, while they got an easy escape.
    Which I think is the nub of things. If it's possible for Dan to get back to pre 2016 GF form; then it would be great to have a champion of the club to stay. On the other hand, if there is a chronic injury problem and that means he is unlikely to recapture peak form, then we should probably be grateful that another club might be offering an attractive trade.
    It's similar with Gary. Obviously there is a huge amount of talent and watching him at his best, can bring great enjoyment. But once again, injuries make him a doubtful proposition. It seems that every time that he was about to really fulfil his potential, he would find a new way to get injured and then it was back to the rehab group. Then there would be another period of regaining fitness and confidence, and as he was gaining momentum, we started to hope that he would finally have an extended period of high performance. But then it was, oh no, back to rehab.
    So much the same with Dan, if in the future, he has a long injury free period, then some of us might regret that he was traded. On the other hand, if you don't really believe that will happen, then the trade is appealing.
    Either way, I think both have busted a gut while they were here, having fully bought into the Swans culture, so I will certainly bear them no ill will if they do go.
    For me, this sums up the situation pretty well.

I love them both and they could produce brilliant football at times. I'm among those who would have given Dan the Norm Smith instead of Ryano. And who that saw it would ever forget Gary's brilliant goal against Geelong when he left Chappo, who was genuinely quick, struggling in his wake? Good luck to them both, and bring on the farewell threads.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I’m disconsolate to see them both leave the Swans, they have been magnificent.

For them personally, it’s a substantial upheaval to move homes, clubs, leave behind a group of friends, club mates , familiar routines .

Trust it works out well. Their careers have early deadlines, I understand they have to make the most of it.

Back when hanners was 17 (and finishing his HSC) and playing first-grade footy... he dead-set had the footy brains of a 30 year old veteran and THAT's what made him so exciting.
    Unfortunately, now that he's almost 30, he still has the footy brain of a 30 year old.
    He's been resting on his laurels, and it shows.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Unfortunately, now that he's almost 30, he still has the footy brain of a 30 year old.
    and the body of a 40 year old.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast